PDA

View Full Version : Where is the 32kb to 320 kb VBR mp3 support?

nikrusty
01-13-2008, 05:46 AM
I remember when dmc had 32kb to 320kb vbr support which I always found ideal in releases before the 12.0 version.

Now this version doesnt offer the same functionality. VBR can only be set max to 240kbs plus I dont see the min 32kbps VBR setting either? But ABR and CBR seem to support till 320kbps. What's happening? Can someone please explain.

And I seriously think that dmc is starting to get a little more complicated/cluttered. e.g. What does "- V3 -vbr -new" mean above the slider mean? There is no explanation as so what this means why it's placed there. No help section explains this. Then why put it there in the first place. Place these things in a different "professional mode" and remove these things in "simple mode". Or just cover some stuff in the help or link that to your site for explanation...please enough of these ambiguities.

I understand that this is one of those professional programs, but simple dudes who just want to set good quality and convert music...really find it confusing! There is far too much data on the screen to discern for noobs. Alteast have good explanations like you generally have on your site regards formats.

nikrusty
01-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Ahh I figured partially what "- v4 or -V2" is for...command line right? Ok so its quite smart to instantly tell someone that this is the usage for command line. I respect that. However, you are seriously creating complexities for those who dont understand this stuff. As I suggested pls use different modes...Simple and Advanced/Professional...or whatever...give the user the choice what to display on the screen. Too much clutter otherwise!

LtData
01-13-2008, 09:58 AM
"-v3 -vbr-new" is a LAME preset, along the lines of the old "alt-preset" and the like.

As for where the sliders went, they were replaced by the VBR presets, as mentioned above. This replacing was done in LAME itself and the old way of min and max bitrate is not available anymore.

TheBlackOut
01-13-2008, 01:27 PM
I am still kind of new to audio and stuff, but so in VBR there is no 320Kbps now? Will it sound as good as 320Kbps would at 240Kbps?

I'm confused. :(

xoas
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
The old 320 kbs alt pre-set was at a constant bitrate (CBR) and is still available if you select CBR. Most users will not detect a difference between any files ripped/converted to Mp3 at 240 kbs VBR (variable bitrate) and the same files ripped/converted to Mp3 at 320 kbs CBR.

Best wishes,
Bill

TheBlackOut
01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
But why is VBR not offered in 320Kbps? Just wondering. :smile2:

LtData
01-13-2008, 02:28 PM
It is not offered anymore because the only VBR settings in LAME now are the presets, which are being used.

TheBlackOut
01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
It is not offered anymore because the only VBR settings in LAME now are the presets, which are being used.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

nikrusty
01-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Thank you very much all you :)

I wasnt too sure my query would be so adequately handled. Thank you all! Life is less of a mystery...lol.

BTW....great work on dpPoweramp guys...I love dual CPU support since me have AMD x2 Dual core