PDA

View Full Version : Can't add ReplayGain tags to some files

chileboy
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I have several hundred .flac's that I converted to Muse (.mpc) format. Later, I wanted to add the ReplayGain tags, so I used Batch Converter to do that to all my files (.flac and .mpc). The tags were added just fine to all of the .flac files, and MOST, but not all, of the .mpc files.

If I try now to individually add the tags to the files missing them (I have tried both track and album ReplayGain at once, and track alone), it won't do it.

I also tried reconverting the .flacs, and then adding the tags (thinking maybe something happened in the conversion to .mpc), to no avail.

In some cases, it's entire CDs, in others it is only certain tracks. For instance, on Chick Corea's Elektric Band, it added the tags properly to 3 (seemingly) random tracks out of 11.

- Mark

Spoon
01-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Using album gain or just track gain?

chileboy
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I have tried both track gain alone and in conjunction with album gain.

Spoon
01-07-2008, 05:05 PM
In mpc replaygain is stored in ape2 tags, so there is nothing special there.

For the files which do not have the tags try adding a unique tag, say

testtag test

does it add?

chileboy
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, I was able to add a test tag by both methods: using Batch Converter, or right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer.

I noticed something else - for the CDs that have only certain tracks missing the tags, the ones that DO have tags have only the track tags - i.e., they are missing the Album Gain and Album Peak tags. For the CDs where all tracks tagged properly, all 4 tags are there.

Hope what I'm saying there makes sense.

I also tried re-ripping a clean copy directly to .mpc and then adding the tags, but no go.

Lastly, if I convert the .flac to a different format like .ogg, it will successfully add the tags via Batch Convertor.

- Mark

Spoon
01-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Do the tracks without album gain tags have an 'album' tag?

chileboy
01-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, they all seem to have the "Album" tag.

Spoon
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Are the files read only?

chileboy
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
No.

Spoon
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I am out of ideas.

chileboy
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Would it help if I sent you a .flac of one of the offending files? I'm just ripping from original CDs...

It just seems crazy to me because some files ripped from the same CD are fine.

I did notice that, in the example I'm using (Chick Corea CD), the three tracks that successfully have the tags applied are all longer than 6 minutes, whereas the others are shorter (although that's not true of the other CDs). Does that give any hints?

Thanks, Spoon.

- Mark

Spoon
01-09-2008, 04:36 AM
You can email a short FLAC file (under 20MB please):

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

chileboy
01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Spoon - the track I e-mailed is actually under a minute, so it's less than 5MB.

As an aside, can I ask, do you (or others?) feel MPC is still the format of choice for audiophile lossy? I was using .ogg (at -q 0.7) but some tracks didn't sound quite right to me. After reading up on the recommendations here on the site, I tried Musepack and did a lot of A-B comparisons, and at the "Extreme" setting, it in fact sounded better to me (and the files were a bit smaller than the .ogg).

But, I sense fading support for .mpc, whereas .ogg's star seems to be rising. Plus, I have had the issue with .mpc we've been discussing, and I've also had some compatibility issues with .mpc and my player of choice - and they have indicated not much demand for Musepack fixes anymore.

A bit off-topic, but anyway...

- Mark

bhoar
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
A bit off-topic, but anyway...

Have you tried A/B testing MPC vs. recent AAC compressors? Nero's AAC compressor has gotten really good.

My opinion on this is as follows:

Lossless - Most Compatible/Accepted -> FLAC
Lossless - Best Compression -> TAK

Lossy - Most Compatible/Accepted -> MP3
Lossy - Best General Compression vs. Sound Compromise -> Nero AAC(MPEG4)

-brendan

chileboy
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I have heard good things about AAC, but my player doesn't (yet) support it. Plus, honestly I am a bit concerned about the proprietary nature...

I do use .flac for my lossless. I'm taking a "wait-and-see" with .tak right now - looks promising, but not a lot of support yet. Plus I'm wondering if .flac will catch-up in the compression department.

- Mark