PDA

View Full Version : New user. Rips on both drives failing

olgoat
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello
Just downloaded the trial reference r12 product. Running Win2000 with all updates. I have a plextor PX-800A SCSI DVD-RW and a Pioneer DVD-116.

I tried to rip a couple of CDs in both secure and burst mode on both of my DVD-RW drives and every track results in the same error. This was with the default SPT set. ASPI also generated errors.

Error ripping to Wave, 'Track 1' to 'C:\edisk\audiowork\gregbrown-down\Greg Brown\Greg Brown - Down in There - 01 - If I Had Known.wav'
Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 0 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 15267) [clRipperBurst::Rip]

Thought I would check here for obvious config errors before giving up on the product.

Thanks

olgoat
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
FYI. Nero rips the same CDs without error.

LtData
12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Running as Admin? Did you try the SCSI Pass Through and Windows Built-In? Did they both fail? What version of dMC are you running?

olgoat
12-31-2007, 06:41 PM
The id I was using has admin privileges. I tried SCSI pass through which appeared to be the default with the install.

I am running the trial version of the Media Converter. Version 12.3. There were no additional updates available.

I just tried Windows Built in and the dMC was able to rip in burst mode. THe message indicated that the C2 features (what I am looking for) are not supported with the Windows Built In interface.

What does this mean? I doubled checked the id I am using and it is listed as an administrator id. I cam install software etc with this id.

Thanks for any additional tips. If the software can't use the secure mode (scsi passthrough??) then it isn't going to be any better than Nero.

Tim

olgoat
12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Just tried ripping logged on as administrator and the same situation exists. I am able to rip with the Windows Built in interface in burst mode only. I can't rip at all from either drive using the SCSI pass through. With Windows Built in, the secure option is also greyed out, so burst mode is the only available option.

Tim

LtData
12-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Try dMC r12.4 and see if it helps any. It has been released but the page has not been updated yet: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r12.4.exe

olgoat
01-01-2008, 11:55 AM
12.4 has the same results. It only rips with windows Internal. Copied the version info below just to be sure it installed. Same issue on both DVD drives. One is a DVD-RW (plextor px-800a) and the other is just a DVD-R (pioneer DVD-116). Can you think of anything else to try here? Thanks

dBpoweramp Music Converter
Release 12.4
Registration Status
Reference: Trial (21 days remaining)
All Media Guide: 30 Days Access Remaining

dBpoweramp Audio Player
Audio player extraordinaire

dBpoweramp CD Writer
Audio CD burning simplicity

Sveta Portable Audio
Enhance your portable player

Spoon
01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
If you have Nero working select the ASPI Nero option.

olgoat
01-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Selecting ASPI Ahead Nero option using burst mode results in the following error on either drive.
Error ripping to Wave, 'Track 1' to 'C:\edisk\audiowork\gregbrown-down\Jackson Browne\Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic, Vol. 1 - 01 - The Barricades of Heaven.wav'
ASPI: Buffer too big
Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 0 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 26976) [clRipperBurst::Rip]

olgoat
01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I tried the EAC software before yours and could not get that to work. It made mention of downloading aspi SCSI drivers from adaptec. Do you think this might be a worthwhile tact to get this working with your product?

I might be converting to XP in the near future if that might make a difference.

olgoat
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
So no more ideas on this from anyone? Are we at "end of job"?

Then again maybe I am misunderstanding the importance of not having the C2 capability when running the windows interface versus the SPT interface.

How much of the secure rip functionality is being lost by using the Windows internal interface? Is the product still re-reading the disc and comparing results to insure accurate rips? or is it just relying on the AccurateRip comparison.

Is there any benefit to using DBPoweramp over Nero when you have to run using the windows internal interface?

Thanks for the additional info.

TWC

olgoat
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
One other thought. I wasn't thinking straight. I don't have a SCSI controller. The CD Drives both show as SCSI devices. But I think that is due to the VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA controller that is installed according to Device Manager.

Could this be part of the problem?

TWC

bhoar
01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes - third party IDE (or "IDE as SCSI") drivers can cause problems, esp. with optical drives and esp. if you're using an add-on card.

-brendan

olgoat
01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I am using the controller on the motherboard. No add on controller card (if that is what you mean't. Do you know if I can run without the bus master ultra driver? Not in love with it or anything and I am only using 4 atapi devices, two per ide cable.

bhoar
01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I am using the controller on the motherboard. No add on controller card (if that is what you mean't. Do you know if I can run without the bus master ultra driver? Not in love with it or anything and I am only using 4 atapi devices, two per ide cable.

In my experience, windows itself uses the generic IDE driver just fine for all motherboard chipsets. I used to habitually install the motherboard-maker supplied custom IDE driver, but I always ended up with some sort of drive response issue, so I've stopped doing that.

-brendan