PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Secure Rip Settings

EliC
12-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Minimum Ultra Passes - is this the number of ultra passes that must match eachother?

Maximum Ultra Passes - this is the maximum number of ultrapasses that the ripper will perform, correct? So if minimum is 3 and maximum is 5, 3/5 ultrapasses must match for the rip to be secure? Or if its 2 and 100 its any 2 passes out of 100? Sometimes the rip stops after the ultrapasses and sometimes it moves on to bad frames, what decides if Bad Frames will be re-ripped?

Individual Bad Frames - the secure ripper page says C2 errors are used until 10 frame matches are achieved. So what is the maximum re-read setting? If set less then 10 is the bad frame re-read still valid?

Does the ripper check after an ultra pass if the rip matches AR?

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/images/misc/secure-method-db.png

Spoon
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
'End After Clean Passes' is used to determine when to exit the ultra passes (within the min and max).

I would not set maximum re-reads below 10, you will never get a recovery.

After each pass it is checked against AR.

EliC
12-15-2007, 01:37 PM
'End After Clean Passes' is used to determine when to exit the ultra passes (within the min and max).

following the C2 algorithm above, it looks like if AR cannot verify after the first pass the ripper goes to Ultra-Passes. I take it these are to look for more c2 errors. The algorithm does not indicate that there will be an "end after clean pass". I would think AR should be checked after each Ultra-Pass

I would not set maximum re-reads below 10, you will never get a recovery.

Ok, so this should be hardcoded then, right? Because I can easily set the individual bad frame re-read to any number. The system should not allow it to be set below 10. Also, 10 is the default number correct? What are the odds of getting 10/10 clean passes on a frame when a c2 error was previously given for that frame, especially if it was flagged in subsequent ultrapasses?

After each pass it is checked against AR.
This clearly is ideal, but is not indicated in the algorithm above. Is the algorithm wrong?

EliC
12-15-2007, 01:49 PM
My understanding of the C2 enabled algorithm:

1. Pass 1 - read and mark any C2 errors

-AR check: Does track match, if yes end, if no go to 2

2. Ultra Pass - read and mark any new c2 errors

-were new c2 errors identified if yes go to 2a, if no go to 2b

2a. Have the maximum number of ultrapasses be run yet? if yes go to 3, if no go to 2

2b. Have the minimum number of ultrapasses be run yet? if yes go to 3, if no go to 2

3. Re-rip each bad frame identified by c2 errors

-were 10 rips of the frame identical? if yes, go to next frame, if no?

how I would think the C2 enabled algorithm should work:

1. Pass 1 - read and mark any C2 errors

-AR check: Does track match, if yes end, if no go to 2

2. Ultra Pass - read and mark any new c2 errors

-Does the new rip match AR, if yes end, if no were new c2 errors identified if yes go to 2a, if no go to 2b

2a. Have the maximum number of ultrapasses be run yet? if yes go to 3, if no go to 2

2b. Have the minimum number of ultrapasses be run yet? if yes go to 3, if no go to 2

3. Re-rip each bad frame identified by c2 errors

-if no c2 errors are identified for any given frame re-rip does the new rip match AR? if yes, end, if no re-rip until 10 frame matches then move to next frame, if any frame does not have 10 matches and no AR match mark as error/insecure and move to next track.

Spoon
12-15-2007, 04:01 PM
The routines for c2 are the same for non c2 except that c2 is used to detect errors and the 2nd normal pass is not done.

EliC
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
how does an Ultra pass differ from a regular pass?

Am I correct in my understanding regarding the decision to make more ultrapasses? What if I set the min ultrapasses to 1? If all C2 errors match the first pass it moves on? If there are new C2 errors it will do additional passes?