PDA

View Full Version : why not choose gracenote?

promusic
12-13-2007, 04:34 AM
We know gracenote is more powerful than freedb. :(

EliC
12-13-2007, 06:30 AM
We know gracenote is more powerful than freedb. :(

And AMG, is more powerful then gracenote! And dBpoweramp uses AMG. In addition, the next version will also use GD3 and MusicBrainz!!!

Wayne
12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
As far as I am aware you can not use any other source for meta data if you use Gracenote.

jtbse
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Well...

I think the key term in freeDB is "free". IIRC, Gracenote requires someone to pay a license fee...either the software vendor or the user.

I think it's just fine that dMC allows a free alternative, with an option to use AMG for a fee (which is much better than Gracenote IMHO).

Also IIRC, I think there was a time when Gracenote was free as well, but they basically turned on their user community by taking advantage of all the great data that their users gave them, and then charging people that wanted to get it back!

I know, pretty irrelevant to current discussions, but some of us don't forget things like that so easily.

bhoar
12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I know, pretty irrelevant to current discussions, but some of us don't forget things like that so easily.

hear hear. it's one thing to run a business, quite another to cash in on other people's work.

granted, one good thing to come out of the cddb debacle and related stories is that folks are now much more aware of licensing and surrounding issues when participating in large group efforts.

-brendan

snowdog
07-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Any change since this was written? iTunes recognises my CD & pulls down the track info from Gracenote but I can't send that info from iTunes to anywhere else, which means I have to copy & paste from iTunes to dB before I rip anything.

Is there another way to export the tags from iTunes & import them into dB?

garym
07-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Any change since this was written? iTunes recognises my CD & pulls down the track info from Gracenote but I can't send that info from iTunes to anywhere else, which means I have to copy & paste from iTunes to dB before I rip anything.

Is there another way to export the tags from iTunes & import them into dB?

nothing has changed. 99.9% of the time, the metadata lookup from within dbpa works for me. Occasionally I use itunes to get the info. I simply open the CD in itunes. Copy the info from the screen (after metadata shown by itunes), then paste into an excel spreadsheet. Then I clean up the spreadsheet to show only the columns i want (typically ARTIST and TITLE), save as CSV format. Then in mp3tag, I use "convert: text file to tags" option to automatically read the info from the CSV file and create tag info. Sounds like a lot of work, but actually only a few mouse clicks.

snowdog
07-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Thanks, I'll try that!