PDA

View Full Version : why not choose gracenote?

promusic
12-13-2007, 03:34 AM
We know gracenote is more powerful than freedb. :(

EliC
12-13-2007, 05:30 AM
We know gracenote is more powerful than freedb. :(

And AMG, is more powerful then gracenote! And dBpoweramp uses AMG. In addition, the next version will also use GD3 and MusicBrainz!!!

Wayne
12-13-2007, 07:42 AM
As far as I am aware you can not use any other source for meta data if you use Gracenote.

jtbse
12-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Well...

I think the key term in freeDB is "free". IIRC, Gracenote requires someone to pay a license fee...either the software vendor or the user.

I think it's just fine that dMC allows a free alternative, with an option to use AMG for a fee (which is much better than Gracenote IMHO).

Also IIRC, I think there was a time when Gracenote was free as well, but they basically turned on their user community by taking advantage of all the great data that their users gave them, and then charging people that wanted to get it back!

I know, pretty irrelevant to current discussions, but some of us don't forget things like that so easily.

bhoar
12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I know, pretty irrelevant to current discussions, but some of us don't forget things like that so easily.

hear hear. it's one thing to run a business, quite another to cash in on other people's work.

granted, one good thing to come out of the cddb debacle and related stories is that folks are now much more aware of licensing and surrounding issues when participating in large group efforts.

-brendan