PDA

View Full Version : Your Naming Scheme

LtData
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
This thread is for everyone to post their naming scheme and then how it works (aka "decoded" and in plain text). I'll go first:
[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

Compilation CDs end up:
album\track - artist - title
Normal CDs end up:
artist\album\track - artist - title

Need some help? Try the tutorial first: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13928

Whoops, forgot the log path, which actually lacked [IFCOMP] and such, thanks EliC:
[rippedtopath]\[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] - [][album].txt
Non-compilation: artist - album.txt
Compilation: album.txt

EliC
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]Various Artists[]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] - [track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] - [track] - [title][]

For the log:

[rippedtopath][IFCOMP][album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[].txt[][IF!COMP][artist] - [album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[].txt[]

LtData
12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
[IFVALUE]Various Artists[]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] - [track] - [artist] - [title][]
This looks odd, as the [IFVALUE] statement doesn't have an "if true" or "if false" option. Also, the statement is skipped, as "various artists" isn't a tag name and is therefore always false.

EliC
12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
here is a good thread:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=11568

EliC
12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
[IFVALUE]Various Artists[]Various Artists\[album]

should create a folder called "Various Artists" with a folder inside that with the album name - correct?

Just try putting it in the dBpoweramp system. It works!

LtData
12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes, it does put Various Artists, but my point is that "[IFVALUE]Various Artists[]" is the same as an if-statement with nothing to do if the condition is true or false. Normally, it is [IFVALUE]condition,if-true,if-false[].

EliC
12-13-2007, 06:33 AM
I understand what you are saying. Frankly I don't remember exactly why I wrote it like that, but it does work.

Paul.C
12-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Mine is currently:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IF!COMP][artist][][IFCOMP]Various Artists[][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] - [track] - [title]

Paul

kupje
12-25-2007, 02:37 PM
[IFCOMP]VA[][IF!COMP][artist][] - [album] ([year])\[IFMULTI][disc][][track] - [title]

Log: [rippedtopath]\[IFMULTI][disc][]00 - [album].log

Album: Some artist - Some album (1997)\09 - Some track.wv
Compilation, disc 1: VA - Some compilation (2001)\104 - Another track.wv

msb
01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
OK,

I have a fairly complex formula that works for me:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album] ([IFMULTI][disc_total] []CD[IFMULTI] Set[])\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] [title]

Generally, here's how I have my collection stored on my hard drive:

Artist
...Album One (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two

If I've got a Multi-Disc set, it goes like this:

Artist
...Album One (2 CD Set)
......Disc 01
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two
......Disc 02
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two

For Compilations with multiple artists, I like to file them by genre:

Various Artists - Blues
...Album One (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two
...Album Two (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two

However, if there is a Compilation album, but there is an "album artist" tag (sometimes albums will feature a single artist but have multiple performers... for example, The Band on the album [i]The Last Waltz) then I will file it under that artist's folder.

You may also notice that I add the (CD) value to the Album name. That's because I have a lot of music from non-commercial CD sources (i.e. bootlegs, etc..), so I like to differentiate the collection that way, too.

Finally, I'd like to be able to strip off the word "The" in the artist name, so that the folders are more alphabetical-friendly (i.e. The Rolling Stones -> Rolling Stones), but I haven't been able to acomplish that. I've posted that quesiton here (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost.php?p=74089&postcount=1), so I'll look for some help over in that thread.

msb
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I wanted to break down my formula above to help show what I did to get the results I wanted.

First, I want to get the Artist information and make a folder for that:

Is it a Compilation album? If so, I want to either file it in the "album artist" folder (if a value exist), other wise I want to file it under a folder called: Various Artists - genre.

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][]

- I first check if it's a compilation album ([IFCOMP])
- I then check to see if there is a value in the "album artist" field ([IFVALUE])
- If there is a value there, I then check to see if the value under "album artist" is equal to "Various Artists" ([IFEQUALS]). If it is, then use "Various - [genre]".
- If the album artist value is not "Various Artists" ([IF!EQUALS]), then I use whatever value is in "album artist"
- Finally, if there is no value at all in the album artist field, then just use: Various - [genre].

If it is not a Compilation Album, I want to file it under the "album artist", if it exists. If it doesn't then fall back to the "artist" value.

[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]

- If it's not a compilation album ([IF!COMP])
- Then check to see if there is a value in the "album artist" tag ([IFVALUE])
- If there is, then use it... otherwise use the artist tag.

jtbse
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Mine's much simpler than most I think (maybe just a simpler mind?? :smile2:)

[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][] - [album]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

Compilation example:

\Various Artists - We All Love Ella\01 - Natalie Cole - A-Tisket, A-Tasket.flac

Non-compilation:

\Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle\01 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Susie Q.m4a

I tend to keep the file system as simple as possible and depend on tags and player/server software to reflect things like genre, years, composer, and album artist.

derty2
01-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I am trying to utilize that fantastic thorough script by msb (++Great Job)
I've slightly modded it to suit me,
I use all lowercase
I file Various Artists folders as var - genre
and I file album names starting with (Year)
Using this code...

[LOWER][IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Var - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Var - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\([YEAR]) [album] ([IFMULTI][disc_total] []CD[IFMULTI] Set[])\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track]. [title][][]

......ALSO.......

I have discovered from another thread [http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=16226&highlight=naming]
that msb has figured out a way of doing this to folder names...
EXAMPLE --> the beatles is changed to beatles, the
Using this code...

[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]

Can somebody help me merge the two sets of codes ?
I have spent many hours trying, but I failed. :(
Thanks.

Falcon4
03-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Man, I have no idea how to use all that "IF" stuff. It might come in handy though...

I do, simply, in plain English:
Artist - Album\Artist - TrackNo - Title

That method works a lot better than any defaults I've seen in any program (especially that "artist\album\TrackNo Title" crap from iTunes!), because if I want to move some tracks into a general "music" folder, like on an MP3 player, they stay organized by artist instead of lumping together in a huge disorganized disaster by track number first. It also makes browsing for an album easily since I can see both album name and artist name at a glance in the flat folder listing. :D

Now, my VA albums have a different scheme:
VA - Album\TrackNo - Artist - Title

This is where I have to just suck it up and let it go TrackNo-first. Otherwise, I'd end up with the album being sorted by the various artists first, then by the track number, a messy situation.

It'd sure be nice to be able to come up with a script for that ;)

EliC
07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I was having problems with filenames that were to long, so I have changed by scheme a bit

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][]

Nothing fancy.

Vulcan
07-13-2008, 04:57 AM
FLAC: [IFCOMP]Various[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\([SETLEN]4,0,0,[Year][]) [album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] [title]

MP3: [IFCOMP]Various[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][] - [album] [IFMULTI](Disc [disc]) [](V2)\[track] [title]

I was playing around today with the [IFVALUE] function today. It seems to me that its strvalue and strnovalue positions are reversed from how they are described. Can anyone else confirm this?

Edit: Nevermind... figured out the 'tag' value shouldn't have backets.

bison8
07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi all, just getting to grips with everything that dB can do and am puzzled by the naming scheme.

I really like msb's scheme and have altered it only to add the year after the album title but would like to remove the forced "(cd)" from the album title (unless it is a multi cd set.

Could someone post the complete working scheme for me as I cannot figure it out - it always affects something else...

here's what I use:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album] - [[year]] ([IFMULTI][disc_total] []CD[IFMULTI] Set[])\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] - [title]

LtData
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Try
[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album] - [[year]] ([IFMULTI][disc_total] CD Set[])\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] - [title]

bison8
07-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, your solution still has the brackets "()"

as in:

Madonna\Immaculate - [2003] ()\05 - Holiday

which is a problem I was having - if I take them out it starts to go horribly wrong...

EliC
07-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Try this, should get rid of your extra brachets:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album] - [[year]] [IFMULTI][disc_total] CD Set[]\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] - [title]

bison8
07-19-2008, 02:24 PM
You sir are a star.

many thanks :D

Porcus
07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
[SETLEN]4,0,0,[Year][]
Any reason to use this, not the checkbox to force no date on year?

Mine is
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] [[year]] ~ [album][IFMULTI] [Disc [disc]][] ~ [cddb_id]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] [[year]] ~ [album][IFMULTI] [Disc [disc]][] ~ [track] ~ [title]

Tildes where others use hypens, because tildes are rarely used in names and titles, and neither folder names except at the beginning or end (GNUess what software I'm used to ...). I rip by the batch (see signature) and haven't yet started to do the V/A. Don't know what naming convention I'll prefer either. Found that I cannot trust AMG for IFMULTI.

Maybe I would want to put everything in folders named after first letter. Have some thousand CDs ...

EliC
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Small change to mine for Various Artist Discs, puts the name of the artist with each track:

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][]

sredmyer
07-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Ok I have made my version of the script posted by msb. I have a couple of problems though and I am hoping someone here can help.

Here is my script:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various Artists - ([genre])[][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][][],Various Artists - ([genre])[][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][],[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][][][][][][IFMULTI]\[album] ([disc] of [disc_total])[][IF!MULTI]\[album][]\[track] - [title]

And here are my problems
1) Multi disc sets add the text "Disc *" outside of the parans and non-compilation discs do not add the artist folder

EX: "Positively 60's" Disc 1 is created as
Various Artist - (Rock)\Positively 60's, Disc 1 (1 of 2)\02 - The Weight.flac

EX: Paul Oakenfold's "Travelling" Disc 2 is created as
\Travelling, Disc 2 (2 of 2)\02 - Gyromancer

2) Non-compilation discs do not create the Artist folder unless the the artist has "The" in it. I sure this has to do with how I am stripping "The" from the artist. However that is working correctly (see EX *2)

EX: Jim Brickman's "By Heart; Piano Solos" track *2 is created as
\By Heart; Piano Solos\02 - Lake Erie Rainfall.flac

EX: The Verve Pipe's "Underneath" track *2 is created as
Verve Pipe\Underneath\02 - Never Let You Down.flac

Thanks for your help,
Steve

LtData
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Try this:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various Artists - ([genre])[][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][][],Various Artists - ([genre])[][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][],[IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artist][][][][][IFMULTI]\[album] ([disc] of [disc_total])[][IF!MULTI]\[album][]\[track] - [title]I have bolded what I did to fix the artist problem. You were checking twice for if the artist had "The" in it, but not having a part for what to do if you did NOT have it.

Also, the disc problem is probably caused by ", Disc 1" being in the album name.

sredmyer
07-31-2008, 10:43 PM
Try this:
I have bolded what I did to fix the artist problem. You were checking twice for if the artist had "The" in it, but not having a part for what to do if you did NOT have it.

Also, the disc problem is probably caused by ", Disc 1" being in the album name.

Nope that is not the problem (though I think you are on the right track). That change results in: "[]\Travelling (2 of 2)\02 - Gyromancer"

The first [IFEQUALS] is there to check for "The" in the [album artist] and the second is there to check the [artist]. This second check should only be done if the [album artist] does not exist.

Thanks
Steve

sredmyer
07-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Well I thought I would add a colorized and formatted version of the script which I think is much easier to read. However I don't seam to be able to do that (colorize text). Not sure why. Any way here is a a version which is formatted for readability at least.

[IFCOMP]
[IFVALUE]album artist,
[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various Artists - ([genre])[]
[IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,
[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][],Various Artists - ([genre])[]
[]
[]

[IF!COMP]
[IFVALUE]album artist,
[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][],
[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][][][]
[]
[]

[IFMULTI]\[album] ([disc] of [disc_total])[]
[IF!MULTI]\[album][]

\[track] - [title]

Edit: Well I guess I cant do any HTML so no real formatting either

LtData
08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
You still need a check after the [IFVALUE] statement to check the artist if it does NOT have "The" in it.

sredmyer
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
You still need a check after the [IFVALUE] statement to check the artist if it does NOT have "The" in it.

Well that makes sense but I must not be doing it right cause I still do not get the artist folder.

Here is the script:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various Artists - ([genre])[][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][][],Various Artists - ([genre])[][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[album artist][],[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][][][][IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artisit][][][][IFMULTI]\[album] ([disc] of [disc_total])[][IF!MULTI]\[album][]\[track] - [title]

and for the second track of the second disc of Pauk Oakenfold's "Traveling" album,
this is the result:

\Travelling (2 of 2)\02 - Gyromancer

Should be:
\Paul Oakenfold\Travelling (2 of 2)\02 - Gyromancer

sredmyer
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Here is the same script formatted hopefully making it somewhat more readable

[IFCOMP]
[IFVALUE]album artist,
[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various Artists - ([genre])[]
[IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][][],
Various Artists - ([genre])
[]
[]

[IF!COMP]
[IFVALUE]album artist,
[IFEQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album artist][][][]
[IF!EQUALS]album artist,The [DEL]1,4,[album artist][],[album artist][],
[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][][][]
[IF!EQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[artisit][]
[]
[]

[IFMULTI]\[album] ([disc] of [disc_total])[]
[IF!MULTI]\[album][]

\[track] - [title]

bjorn
08-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I just purchases dbpoweramp. Great program, but I find the naming scheme difficult. I've tried some of the naming schemes mentioned here, but having some problems.
When I use WMP or Winamp, CDs with guest singers or compilations are placed as separate CDs under artist.
Example. CD: Best of Emmylou Harris. This has a few guest singers. With mye naming scheme know, I get several albums under artist in the library. One with Emmylou Harris, one with E.H. and Roy Orbison, one with E.H. and Dolly Parton, etc.

I don't like that. One CD is then spread out under several artist names. I would like albums with guest singers to be only placed under the main artist of the CD and compilations under various or something. This is the way WMP player does it when it's used for ripping.

So what naming scheme do I need to use?

Are there any disadvantages of using naming scheme like I'm like I'm looking for? I'm new to this (just turned from CD player to a HTPC), and may not know the best organized way when I have ripped many CDs.

LtData
08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
The way I do this is I just put complications in under the album name and CDs with guest singers are hand-edited to where the artist is just the main artist and the guest singer is placed in the title of the song. Note that if you use [album artist] in the naming scheme it should alieviate this problem. However, Winamp and WMP will read the artist tag, which has both the artist and the guest artist, which is probably where the problem is coming in.

bjorn
08-20-2008, 05:08 AM
The way I do this is I just put complications in under the album name and CDs with guest singers are hand-edited to where the artist is just the main artist and the guest singer is placed in the title of the song. Note that if you use [album artist] in the naming scheme it should alieviate this problem. However, Winamp and WMP will read the artist tag, which has both the artist and the guest artist, which is probably where the problem is coming in.

Seem like I've bought a program that's "above my league". I need this explained with a "tea-spoon".
This is the naming scheme I've been using lately:
[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

So, are you saying the problem lies with Winamp and WMP? What string can I use with these programs and what if I start to use Zoomplayer.

LtData
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Your naming scheme is putting album artist in the naming scheme correctly. However, as I said above, WMP and Winamp are reading the multi-artist tag. There isn't a way to automate how dMC handles these files in regards to filename, unfortunately, so you would have to hand-edit the artist and track name before ripping, as I have to do.

CeeDubbs
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey All,

I am a custom audio/video installer and I will be doing batch ripping for clients on occassion.

I've read the various threads on naming schemes and the issue I face with defining an elaborate naming scheme is that once I am done with the batch ripping process, my clients will then most likely continue to acquire content online or process subsequent rips on their own in Media Center, Media Player, or iTunes. Having them use dbpoweramp with my set naming scheme unfortunately will not be an option.

What I am looking to do is set the naming scheme so that it matches the naming scheme used by Media Player and iTunes. I believe this means the following:

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[track] [title][]

I tested several of the naming schemes posted in this forum and using the multiple disc set function has the potential to duplicate the disc number. For example, I was ripping Neil Young's Decade and using the multiple disc function created a folder named "Decade, Disc 1 (Disc 1)" as opposed to just "Decade, Disc 1" which is what the music databases were all showing.

I guess I'm wondering, why are people setting a naming scheme for Multi discs if that should already be coming from the music databased? The only thing that I can think of is that users are editing the metadata obtained from the music databased before processing the rip, but editing the metadata doesn't seem to be an option using the batch rip process.

Also, can anyone confirm if my naming scheme best matches what Media Player and iTunes adhere to by default?

Thanks

Ed

Spoon
08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Look in the Meta data option for Batch ipper, there is an option to add disc to the album name, switch it off.

CeeDubbs
08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks!

For some reason the batch ripping process has an issue picking up from the set naming scheme in CD Ripper. I set the scheme on 3 drives, closed the app and then pulled up the profile I set in the batch ripping app but the CDs were ripped to the default folder location in WAV. I had to set it again under the profile name for it to take. Seems to be okay now.

Ed

ameliajune
08-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Naming regular cd's: - Artist\Album\Track Title

Ex: Madonna\Justify\05 Borderline

Various Artists/Compilations - Various Artists(or Compilations)\Album\Track Title

Ex: Compilations\Grammy Nominees\05 Borderline

How do I type the naming so it does both examples?

Please assist, thank you!

LtData
08-24-2008, 09:07 PM
ameliajune: Try this and see if it behaves how you want:

[IFCOMP]Compilations[][IF!COMP]][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]

ameliajune
08-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank you....Well that's very close... this is what I get....

Compilations\Chilled Euphoria, Disc 1\ - Touched by God

What's missing is the track number. I know it's there because when I imported it through iTunes it showed up in the folder structure such as...

C:\Documents and Settings\....\iTunes Music\Compilations\Chilled Euphoria [Disc 1]

and then under that, the first song shows this:

1-01 Drifting Away

Ideally, I'd like it to match this. However, if I place the Disc Number in the code I get "Disc 1 Disc 1" because I find that on most CD's that's already encoded so it shows up automatically.

Any ideas?
---------------------------------
EDIT: I just ripped a CD and although it didn't show in the example, it seems to have worked. Meaning, I got this:

C:\Documents and Settings\.......\Compilations\Chilled Euphoria, Disc 1

and then under that, the first song shows this:

01 - Drifting Away

Hooray! :happy: Thank you. So even though it doesn't show up in the example, it worked. I wonder why the track number was absent in the example??

Any ideas on how I can get 1-01 as a read on multiple discs? (Not a must, but since we're at it.)

LtData
08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
the 1-01 where 1 is the disk and 01 is the track? If so, try this:

[IFCOMP]Compilations[][IF!COMP]][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] - [title]

Also, if you want to turn off the automatic appending of the Disc number to the album name, go into the Options in the CD ripper (the button, not the arrow), click the "settings" button beside the ID Tag section, and change the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" setting to (Never)

ameliajune
08-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Also, if you want to turn off the automatic appending of the Disc number to the album name, go into the Options in the CD ripper (the button, not the arrow), click the "settings" button beside the ID Tag section, and change the "Multi-CD Add Disc to Album" setting to (Never)

AHA! I didn't even know that option existed! Thank you. So I can either keep that on and change the Naming Scheme or Keep the Naming Scheme and change that to Never. Either way will avoid the double "Disc One."

When I first put the naming tag in (using copy and paste) I had to delete one of the [] after [artist] for it to show up right in the example, but then when I went back to it I think it is back in. I'm not sure that example feature is fully functional or maybe it's just me.

I do think there should be an option to delete those tags so all my "test runs" aren't so confusing and stay in the drop down menu.

Many thanks!

sjmac
08-29-2008, 04:34 AM
My Dynamic Naming Scheme:

[IFEQUALS]Genre,Classical,Classical\[][IF!EQUALS]Genre,Classical,[IFEQUALS]Genre,Opera,Classical\[][][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist]\[][album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]

In the metadata options I have
Multi CD add disk to album: "[album], CD [disk]"
which I need so that albums will be presented sanely in Windows Media Player 11 (if I use the "never" option then tracks from different disks of the same album are interleaved in the album track list).

On disk I get folders like this:

C:\ripcache>tree LosslessAudioRips
C:\RIPCACHE\LOSSLESSAUDIORIPS
&*9500;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;10cc And Godley & Creme
&*9474; &*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Changing Faces; The Best Of 10cc And Godley & Creme
&*9500;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Classical
&*9474; &*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Puccini
&*9474; &*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;The Best of Puccini
&*9500;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Richard Hayman
&*9474; &*9500;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Star Trek
&*9474; &*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Star Wars and Other Sci-Fi Classics
&*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Various Artists
&*9492;&*9472;&*9472;&*9472;Juke Joint Blues
I make sure to always have an Album Artist text (basically I use the "Where would you expect to find the CD in a shop?" approach) and use "Various Artists" when I can't think of anything better!

Question:

I would like to strip off the ", CD 1" and ", CD 2" parts from the [album] part of folder names. Is there a way to trim, for example, 6 characters from the end of the album string in the dynamic naming?

For example, I want all tracks from Pink Floyd > The Wall in the same folder on disk, but I want the metadata tags to say The Wall, CD 1 or The Wall, CD 2 as appropriate.

Spoon
08-29-2008, 05:20 AM
You would have to remove it from the album title.

----------
R13.1 defaults naming to:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\\[album]\\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\\[album]\\[artist] - [track][] - [title]

(the album title is now removed from the filename)

sjmac
08-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Question:
I would like to strip off the ", CD 1" and ", CD 2" parts from the [album] part of folder names. Is there a way to trim, for example, 6 characters from the end of the album string in the dynamic naming?

You would have to remove it from the album title.

OK, but I want the ", CD 1" part left in the [album] value for the metadata. It's more important for me to have good metadata put in automatically, so I'll just remember to move the files after the rip.

Could I hack up some command line DSP or other option to do the move?

whs & sqzbox
09-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank goodness for this forum! I am setting up my husband's digital music library, and have recently purchased this program as well as the gold version of MediaMonkey. I will be using dBpoweramp to rip CDs and MediaMonkey to organize them along with the 700 CDs that have already been ripped over the years. We will be using the Squeezebox duet to stream all this music through our stereo reciever.

So, working within that system, I'm trying to come up with an appropriate naming scheme before I rip about 300 CDs.

I have a question about the naming options in dBpoweramp. At the bottom left of the screen, you can click on "Set" next to the "Naming" menu. The default naming convention is there. I've read all sorts of tutorials and posts in the dBpoweramp forum about naming schemes. I only know enough now to begin to ask some questions.

I have two questions about naming in dBpoweramp:

1. Is it true that the naming scheme is separate from tagging? For example, if genre is not in the naming scheme, it can still be in the tags and therefore usable by the squeezebox duet?

2. I want regular CDs by a single artist to be named

Artist (folder) > Album (folder) > track number artist - song title

That way the file name would just be 01 Billy Idol - Rebel Yell.flac. If there are multiple disks, I would want them to just get put into a single folder. I don't want disk number in the naming scheme.

Or, is there some reason to have more than that information in the file name (in the context of using Squeezebox)?

3. I want compilation CDs (by various artists) to be named

Various Artists (folder) > Album (folder) > track number artist - song title

I would want to make sure that for compilation CDs the tracks have the correct individual artist associated with them.

I think what I'll have to do then is to set one profile for single-artist CDs and a second profile for various artist CDs. Is that right?

I would really appreciate any guidance and any naming code that I can use. Thank you very much!

Spoon
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Naming and tagging are closely related. To remove the disc number, uncheck the option in CD Ripper >> Options >> ID Tag & Metadata to add the disc number to album name.

Try this naming (which is close to R13.1 default):

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[track] [artist][] - [title]

whs & sqzbox
09-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply! I have used that naming coding to rip a compilation and a single-artist CD and it looks perfect. One quick follow-up question:

To NOT add disc number, I went to Options > Meta Data & ID Tag Options > PerfectMeta Options > Multi-CD Add Disc to Album and then selected "never". Is that right?

I appreciate the help!

Spoon
09-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Correct

dvdr
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Here's what I am currently experimenting with:

[IFEQUALS]genre,Classical,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFVALUE]album artist,\[album artist]\,[]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title] ([composer] - [artist])[][IF!COMP][composer]\[album] ([year])\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title] ([album] ([composer]) - [artist])[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Classical,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFVALUE]album artist,\[album artist]\,[]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title]([artist] - [album])[][]

It's not completely finished, yet, since I want to add some rules for Jazz / Jazz compilations and some other stuff like making it possible to file classical works with an extra added tag/folder of composer/composition + a subfolder for the artist playing that work, so you can distinguish between different interpretations. Furthermore, I need to limit the path-lengths to make sure, everything is within Windows' specs (have experimented with setlen, but no luck, yet)

But basically, this it what the scheme does:
If it's a classical album, then it's filed in a composers folder + an album (year) subfolder. If it's an album, where more than one soloist is appearing, then each soloist gets his own subfolder (track-artist so to say), if there's a single album artist, then it's stored in a album artist's subfolder.
Classical Compilations get filed in a compilations folder, subfolder is either just the album's title, or below that an addition folder with an album artist, if applicable (to add that information, if some pianist for example plays piano-works by different composers)
Other genres get filed in an artist's or even, if applicable, an additional album artist's subfolder. Compilation rules apply...

As I said, I am just playing around with this, it's not finished yet, and my way of thinking and filing might not suit yours. But I thought it worthwhile to share that scheme...

An additional remark for "whs & sqzbox" - these naming schemes are great to get file organized in a way, so you can find what you're looking for even just by browsing folders on a computer. You could even leave that part out and just dump all files in one folder, but then you only can find the files with an application, that reads the tags. Best example are IPODs, where files have names with just 4 letters and nothing else...
If you are working with classical music and jazz - beware! Tag each individual track carefully with as much information as you have, including composer, ensemble, conductor, album artist, track artist, original artist (xyz sings songs from Abba etc.), lyricist, Original Lyricist, label.... You'd even might have to create tags, when they are not offered. Later on, you'll be happy to have them... (and: I know, some of those tags are only "half-official", but I use them nevertheless - as long as my applications can work with them...). I haven't done that, when I started out ripping with EAC years ago, and now I have to completely re-tag 300+ classical albums. I hate the thought of what work lies ahead...

Porcus
09-12-2008, 06:37 AM
It's not completely finished, yet, since I want to add some rules for Jazz / Jazz compilations and some other stuff like making it possible to file classical works with an extra added tag/folder of composer/composition + a subfolder for the artist playing that work, so you can distinguish between different interpretations.

The reason I avoid all these IFs, is that I cannot rely on external metadata on those details. Instead, I have, say
- one naming scheme for the usual album (one artist's ordinary release ...)
- one for various artists -- because the provided metadata are unreliable on "Compilation" or not
- one for classical music

I store each in its own profile.

If you are working with classical music and jazz - beware! Tag each individual track carefully with as much information as you have, including composer, ensemble, conductor, album artist, track artist, original artist (xyz sings songs from Abba etc.), lyricist, Original Lyricist, label.... You'd even might have to create tags, when they are not offered. Later on, you'll be happy to have them... (and: I know, some of those tags are only "half-official", but I use them nevertheless - as long as my applications can work with them...).

That's where you wish that dBpoweramp Batch Ripper could store all the metadata from all the providers in, say, a Vorbis comment.

Spoon
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
R13.1 has [maxlength] to limit lengths.

BTW R14 might be using:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

sjmac
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
R13.1 has [maxlength] to limit lengths.

BTW R14 might be using:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Does a compilation *have* to be a multi-artist disk? I've been ticking the Compilation box to allow me to set the year of each track on greatest hits disks.

Is that wrong? (It seems to confuse Windows Media Player in to splitting [multi-year] albums in [some of] the Library views so that it looks as if there was a different "hits" album for each track year.)

Spoon
09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Check compilation, change the years then uncheck compilation.

CoolHandZeke
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I was having problems with filenames that were to long, so I have changed by scheme a bit

[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][]

Nothing fancy.

Eli, I like this naming scheme. Would you mind helping me figure out how I can use this, but altered a little bit?

For single CD's (no compilation) = [album] folder ... like you have it
For compilation CD's = [Various Artists] folder ... like you have it
For SOUNDTRACKS = "Soundtracks" folder\album name
For SCORES = "Scores" folder\album name

How do I do this?

Thank you very much for your help.

Zeke

LtData
09-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Try this:

[IFEQUALS]genre,Scores,Scores[][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IFEQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,Soundtracks[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Scores,[IF!EQUALS]genre,Soundtracks,[IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[][][]\[track] - [title]

CoolHandZeke
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks, LtData. Again, I appreciate the help. That seems to work. How the heck did you come up with that?

LtData
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Used some tips from dvr above in regards to the Genre part, the rest was just figuring out simple nested if statements. An idea for a future versions would be something like [IFEQUALS]statement,do if true,do if false[]

Porcus
09-18-2008, 08:13 AM
For single CD's (no compilation) = [album] folder ... like you have it
For compilation CD's = [Various Artists] folder ... like you have it
For SOUNDTRACKS = "Soundtracks" folder\album name
For SCORES = "Scores" folder\album name

How do I do this?

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious: The solution relies upon the the genres provided by AMG/GD/MusicBrainz/Freedb to be correct, which is quite often not the case. Then you would have to correct those in order to get your naming as you want.

CoolHandZeke
09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Porcus, very true. I figured that I would simply make any necessary changes with dBpoweramp before starting the rip. If I simply change let's say "Soundtrack" to "Score" for all the tracks listed, wouldn't that work?

Further questions:

Aren't A LOT of these hard-to-write naming schemes already available? Made by Spoon and available under <Options> <Meta Data & ID Tag>? PerfectMeta Options already lists the "The [artist] option: i.e., replacing "The Beatles" with "Beatles, The." If I select this option, doesn't that take care of not having to have that naming scheme?

Zeke

Porcus
09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Porcus, very true. I figured that I would simply make any necessary changes with dBpoweramp before starting the rip. If I simply change let's say "Soundtrack" to "Score" for all the tracks listed, wouldn't that work?

Further questions:

Aren't A LOT of these hard-to-write naming schemes already available? Made by Spoon and available under <Options> <Meta Data & ID Tag>? PerfectMeta Options already lists the "The [artist] option: i.e., replacing "The Beatles" with "Beatles, The." If I select this option, doesn't that take care of not having to have that naming scheme?

Zeke

Your first question: yes.
The rest: yes, *I think*. Not completely sure though.

LtData
09-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, changing the Genre for the tracks should then let dMC use that genre as far as the naming scheme goes. And if you select that option, you should need a naming scheme that tries to filter out "The", correct.

CoolHandZeke
09-21-2008, 01:21 PM
From Spoon in the "Frequently Asked Questions" forum:

To change an artist such as 'The Beetles' to 'Beetles, The':
[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]

I do this both for my ARTIST and ALBUM titles:
[IFEQUALS]album,The [DEL]1,4,[album][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[album][], The[][]

**But How to you write the OPPOSITE of these?

Currently I don't see the album name if there is no "The" associated with an album title. For instance, a track is named, "02 - - Underworld - Cowgirl" where the command is not adding anything for the album name because the album is simply titled "Hackers" without the word "The."

Thanks,
Zeke

siriussurfer
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I'm sort of confused with this. I feel there's something wrong with the brackets but I can't figure out where. Can anybody help me with it?

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[[SETLEN]4,0,0,[YEAR][]] [album] [IFMULTI]([disc_total]-CD-Set)[]\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[track] [artist]\[track][] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[[SETLEN]4,0,0,[YEAR][]] [album] [IFMULTI]([disc_total]-CD-Set)[]\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] - [title]

The results are:
1. "Show Example as Compilation CD": Various Artists\[2003] Immaculate\ - Holiday\[2003] Immaculate\05 - Holiday
2. "Show Example as Multi-CD Set": Madonna\[2003] Immaculate (2-CD-Set)\Disc 01\05 - Holiday
3. Both: Various Artists\[2003] Immaculate (2-CD-Set)\Disc 01\05 Madonna\05 - Holiday\[2003] Immaculate (2-CD-Set)\Disc 01\05 - Holiday

You see the mistake? And hopefully the bug?

Thanxalot,
siriussurfer

Spoon
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I think:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[[SETLEN]4,0,0,[YEAR][]] [album][IFMULTI] ([disc_total]-CD-Set)\Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][][]\[track] [title]

is what you are after (not really sure though)

siriussurfer
01-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you spoon!
It's nearly what I wanted. The multi-disk result is perfect. Also the single disk from one Album Artist or Artist.
The compilation result not yet: Here's still missing the artist information within compilations.

I think this part is perfect: [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\
The multi-disk part also. But where to put the artist information within the code without touching/killing the perfect parts?

CD Ripper's result is: Various Artists\[2003] Immaculate\05 Holiday
Here's missing the artist information within Various Artists like:
"Various Artists\[2003] Immaculate\05 Madonna\05 Holiday" or
"Various Artists\[2003] Immaculate\05 Madonna - Holiday"

siriussurfer
01-14-2012, 08:34 AM
My latest thoughts:

Arranging albums by years is great within the single artist folders, so you have assorted them (nearly) by release date. I prefer that.

Within various artist folders I prefer arranging the albums by name, followed by release date. After some hours of thinking and checking out (trial and error ;-) I found this scheme as very useful:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[IFCOMP][album] [[SETLEN]4,0,0,[year][]][IFMULTI] ([disc_total]-CD-Set)\Disk [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][][][][IF!COMP][[SETLEN]4,0,0,[YEAR][]] [album][IFMULTI] ([disc_total]-CD-Set)\Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][][][]\[track][IFCOMP] [artist] -[] [title]

Anyway, the code/scheme works. It looks like this:

Single Artist: Madonna\[2003] Immaculate\05 Holiday
Compilation CD: Various Artists\Immaculate [2003]\05 Madonna - Holiday
Multi-CD-Set: Madonna\[2003] Immaculate (2-CD-Set)\Disc 01\05 Holiday
Multi-CD-Compilation: Various Artists\Immaculate [2003] (2-CD-Set)\Disk 01\05 Madonna - Holiday

This is very fine for me. Perhaps anyone else considers it also useful.

Cheers
Theseus

P.S.
Anyone here who knows whether it's possible to shorten this - with the same results?

digirati
12-22-2015, 01:35 AM
[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[IFEQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,Various - [genre][][IF!EQUALS]album artist,Various Artists,[album artist][],Various - [genre][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][]\[album] ([IFMULTI][disc_total] []CD[IFMULTI] Set[])\[IFMULTI]Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][]\[][track] [title]

Generally, here's how I have my collection stored on my hard drive:

Artist
...Album One (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two

If I've got a Multi-Disc set, it goes like this:

Artist
...Album One (2 CD Set)
......Disc 01
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two
......Disc 02
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two

For Compilations with multiple artists, I like to file them by genre:

Various Artists - Blues
...Album One (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two
...Album Two (CD)
......01 Track One
......02 Track Two

I tried using msb's formula above which I think it's pretty intuitive (others seem to like it too according to numerous posts). However, it isn't exactly working like the example shown above on a multi disk set (I'm using dBpoweramp R15.3 for Windows).

Instead of this:

Artist
...Album One (2 CD Set)
......Disc 01
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two
......Disc 02
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two

I got this:

Artist
...Album One, Disk 1 (2 CD Set)
......Disc 01
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two
...Album One, Disk 2 (2 CD Set)
......Disc 02
.........01 Track One
.........02 Track Two

For some reason the program added a second Album folder and added "Disk 1" and "Disk 2" in the folder names. I would prefer it to work like msb intended it to work in his example (i.e., just one Album folder with sub folders for each disc, and no "Disk 1" and "Disk 2" in the Album folder name.

I copied msb's code and pasted it in, so I didn't add anything to it to cause this. I also cannot figure out where in the formula "Disk 1" and "Disk 2" is coming from and can only assume dBpoweramp is forcing that additional text to the end of the Album folder name when there is a multi disk CD set.

Anyone know how to fix this? Using an example 2 CD set from Aerosmith, I would like to see:

Aerosmith
...Ultimate Aerosmith Hits (2 CD Set)
......Disc 01
.........01 Mama Kin.aif
.........02 Dream On.aif
......Disc 02
.........01 Crazy.aif
.........02 Walk This Way.aif

I would greatly appreciate some help as I've spent hours trying to figure this out on my own before posting for help.

EDIT:
I may have figured out the reason....when I looked at the source CD's tags, it shows "Ultimate Aerosmith Hits, Disk 1" as the Album name. So, dBpoweramp was correctly using what the source CD stated was the album name. OK, so what could I do to msb's formula to account for this and strip ", Disk *" from an album's name tag (if that's even possible)?

mville
12-22-2015, 06:52 AM
I may have figured out the reason....when I looked at the source CD's tags, it shows "Ultimate Aerosmith Hits, Disk 1" as the Album name. So, dBpoweramp was correctly using what the source CD stated was the album name. OK, so what could I do to msb's formula to account for this and strip ", Disk *" from an album's name tag (if that's even possible)?

I don't think it is possible as there is no Naming function to do this. You have to manually edit the Album tag (remove ', Disk xx') before ripping.

digirati
12-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks mville! I also now realize if I do that I'll have two different tracks with the same track numbers two 1's, two 2's, two 3's, etc. So I would have to then renumber all of the 2nd disc's tracks numbers to pick up after the last track of disc one. Not sure if this is worth the hassle or a good idea. What do you do when ripping multi disc sets?