PDA

View Full Version : Aux Input change

RobC
01-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Hiya. I've been using DBPowerAmp and dMC CD Input for a few months, and I couldn't be happier. My church is trying to move from tape to CD recording, and Auxiliary Input is ALMOST exactly what I'm looking for.
My church's service includes a number of praise songs, prayer, announcements, and a message. I'd like to capture each as a track, so folks can skip to whatever floats their boat.

Aux Input will let me start recording at the start of the service and very quickly stop then restart when I want a track break, but there's still a 1/2 second gap where it's not recording. If I want to break in between two parts of a medley (or if two songs just have a transition between them) then this skip is bothersome.

Is there a way the current toolset can do continuous recording to a buffer, and have the "track break" button just change the filehandle that we're writing? If not, is there a way I can contribute to the code to make this happen? I've been a software engineer and system admin for the past 13 years, so I'm confident I could make the change if you like.

Thanks!

--RobC

Spoon
01-06-2003, 12:07 PM
dMC will not be able to do this because if its design. Have you considered recording to one file then later splitting it up?

RobC
01-06-2003, 01:33 PM
That's another option, though I'd likely just write my own app if I go that way.
What I'd like is a system that can compete with the simplicity of our current tape recorder + high-speed duplicator.
The intent of recording the service is primarily to have a copy available immediately after the service. If a visitor liked what he or she heard, we'd like them to be able to take a copy home right away.

Ideally, a sound tech should be able to:
- hit one button at the start of the service
- single-click for track breaks with no gaps (the example I brought up originally)
- single click at the end of the service and have a directory of audio files, ordered via file names (01, 02, 03, etc) for convenient input for CD burning software. (bonus points for automatically launching the CD burning software with these tracks pre-loaded)

This recording solution, and a 48x recorder will let me walk away from tapes and never look back.
Aux input seems like it's very close to what I'm looking for. If I give my changes back to you (and only to you) would you be willing to share the source code and let me re-use as much as I can? I'm willing to re-architecht the way buffers and file handles are used if need be -- I'm willing to start from scratch if need be!

Thanks again,
--Rob

Spoon
01-07-2003, 04:59 PM
You might want to try the Power Pack, it contains code to preserve that start buffer, set the auto start length to 100ms

Razgo
01-07-2003, 09:32 PM
is this option of any extra vaulue to help?

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/uploadedpics/dmcaux.png