PDA

View Full Version : No CD Drive Found

tahel
12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I've just completed setting up my ultimate ripping rig.
After perusing HydrogenAudio I've come to the conclusion that dbpoweramp with the upcoming batch ripper and two or three drives is the way to go for ripping my collection to FLAC or some other archival format.

Since the Samsung SH-203 seems a good drive from HydrogenAudio posts and was available at a local shop I've purchased one.

My setup:
Windows Vista Ultimate, 64 bit.
Gigabyte GA-X38-T-DQ6 motherboard based on the Intel X38 chipset
Intel Quad Core Q6600 CPU
Samsung F1 hard drives.
Samsung SH-203D DVD-RW. EAC reports it as TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-203D SB00 Adapter: 5 ID: 0. The drive came in OEM packaging.

The drive detects perfectly in Bios, Windows, Device Manager, EAC, Itunes etc. I used it for installing Vista.

But DBPoweramp will not detect it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling dbpoweramp a few times and have also moved the drive to different SATA ports on both SATA controllers (chipset and auxiliary Gigabyte controller).

DBPoweramp comes up with a dialog box saying <No CD Drive Found>.

Any suggestions?

Is there a way to force it to use a drive, e.g. by setting the drive letter in a config file or something?
What can be the cause of my problem? Vista, 64-bit, specific drive etc?
I'm willing to buy another drive if the drive is the problem. Compared to the price of the music I will be ripping and the time spent ripping all the CDs, the current price of drives is not a problem

tahel
12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Followup:
Tried the r13 alpha and batch ripper as well. Same problem.
It found the drive once while a DVD was inserted.

When it is just sitting there, it seems to automatically rescan for drives every few seconds. Every time it does this, the CD tray closes, so it is finding something.

xoas
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
A few questions:
Is this an internal or external drive?
If you open up dB CD Grabber does the drive not show in the CD Drive menu in the lower left hand corner of the window?
If you browse My Computer (I assume Vista still allows this) and right click on the drive in question do you see the options to Rip With dBpoweramp, and dBpoweramp Batch Convert?

Best wishes,
Bill

tahel
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi
Its an internal drive on a SATA connection.
By they way: I have set the SATA controllersto use AHCI and Native mode. This is the latest feature set of SATA and allows my hard drives to to things like Native Command Queueing.

The drive cannot be found in the "CD Drive" list in the bottom left corner. A "popup" also shows up in the middle of the window with the same list with only No CD Drive Found as an option.

There are no dbpoweramp context menu choices for the drive in Windows Explorer, but other CD/DVD related choices do show up.

EAC rips perfectly according to accuraterip, but slowly at 10x max in secure mode. My goal is to get set up with drives that manage at least 20x completely accuretely.

Spoon
12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Make sure the windows account being used is administrator.

toolburn
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Same problem as Tahel.

Vista x64 with an internal SATA (LH-20A1L, AHCI, Native mode). Tried every combination while logged on as a local admin of communication type (SPT, SPT Read, ASPI nero), and forced Run As Admin and Compatibility modes (like XP).

Only if I use "Windows Internal" for communications do I see the SATA drive (and I can rip).

In the other combinations I do see my external USB2.0 drive (Pioneer DVR-109) and MagicISO virtual drives.

bhoar
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
As a reference point, under Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise), I have no problems seeing SATA optical drives in Native mode with Intel's SATA/RAID drivers.

Sounds like it's probably Vista-related.

-brendan

tahel
12-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi Toolburn,
What do you mean by "Windows Internal" for communications? Where do I set that?

I'm running as administrator (logged on as administrator) and I've even disabled user account control.

tahel
12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Ha, found it it dbpoweramp settings. There is indeed a setting called "Communication" which I set to Windows Internal [For Limited Accounts].

The drive is now visible.

However, a notice pops up saying this cannot do C2 and a lot of other things that I'll probably want for my big rip.

Thanks for the tip Toolburn!

LeifPederson
01-06-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm having the same problem. How do I get to "dbPoweramp settings"? Under dBpoweramp CD Ripper "options" I only get the following three choices:
Encoder priority
After ripping
View current error & information logs

EAC works fine but is SLOW!

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

LtData
01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Click on the Options button, not the arrow.

Spoon
01-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Do not click the down arrow on the button, rather click the button its self.

LeifPederson
01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Silly me! Thanks! It's working fine now!