PDA

View Full Version : question about wma files

Tonya
01-03-2003, 03:23 PM
I have read in several different web locations that wma is half the size of an mp3 file (and still sounds good). In fact, I think it specifically mentioned that a wma file at 128kbps would equal the size of an mp3 file at only 64kbps. Maybe I misunderstood, but I know it said that the wma file was about half the size of the mp3 recorded at the same bit rate. Therefore, you could get twice the amount of music on a portable mp3 player by using wma format (if the player supports it).

I used dbPower AMP Music Converter to convert mp3 files to wma for that purpose (to put on a portable player) while still keeping the original mp3 file. However, the wma file was actually bigger than the mp3 file. Here's some of the info that it gives:

WMA FILE
original size 49211 kb
compression ratio 7 to 1 13%
bit rate 192639 (I've only heard of 3-digit bit rates...does that mean 192?)
size 6731 kb

MP3 FILE
original size 49095 kb
compression ratio 10 to 1 9%
bit rate 128
size 4464 kb

The only thing I can see is the possible 192 bit rate is higher (a little bit), therefore bigger. I didn't set it at any particular bit rate. I guess that's just what it happened to be on. But, even so, I would think that I could get a wma file at a higher bit rate than an mp3 file and it still not be any bigger. Like I said, I have read that wma files (of the same bit rate) are half the size of mp3 files.

Can you explain to me why my file got bigger when I converted it to wma? Cause that's going to defeat my purpose of converting it.

Spoon
01-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Yes you converted them to a higher bitrate (of 192).

On the options page try 80Kbps, I find it is better to listen to.

Jimbo2005
04-23-2005, 06:06 AM
Well, guess what. 128000 = 128 kbps. 1 kilometre = 1000 metres. (Metric)

So try to encode wma at half the bit rate. ie. if mp3 is at 128 kbps, encode wma at 64kbps. I hear from some friends it sounds just as good.

kbps = how much hard drive space used per second.

I have read in several different web locations that wma is half the size of an mp3 file (and still sounds good). In fact, I think it specifically mentioned that a wma file at 128kbps would equal the size of an mp3 file at only 64kbps. Maybe I misunderstood, but I know it said that the wma file was about half the size of the mp3 recorded at the same bit rate. Therefore, you could get twice the amount of music on a portable mp3 player by using wma format (if the player supports it).

I used dbPower AMP Music Converter to convert mp3 files to wma for that purpose (to put on a portable player) while still keeping the original mp3 file. However, the wma file was actually bigger than the mp3 file. Here's some of the info that it gives:

WMA FILE
original size 49211 kb
compression ratio 7 to 1 13%
bit rate 192639 (I've only heard of 3-digit bit rates...does that mean 192?)
size 6731 kb

MP3 FILE
original size 49095 kb
compression ratio 10 to 1 9%
bit rate 128
size 4464 kb

The only thing I can see is the possible 192 bit rate is higher (a little bit), therefore bigger. I didn't set it at any particular bit rate. I guess that's just what it happened to be on. But, even so, I would think that I could get a wma file at a higher bit rate than an mp3 file and it still not be any bigger. Like I said, I have read that wma files (of the same bit rate) are half the size of mp3 files.

Can you explain to me why my file got bigger when I converted it to wma? Cause that's going to defeat my purpose of converting it.