PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media 8 Codec legal?

attackcenter
04-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Hi Spoon/Admin,

I haven't seen the Windows Media 8 Codec in a distributable form other than it being a part of the Windows Media Encoding Utillity. Is this being legally used? Is it a hacked/modifed version from Windows XP? Is it legal to use the codec in a program enviroment like yours as opposed to a frontend? Where did the codec come from? Is it legally distributable as a standalone codec? Did you get persmission to use it from Microsoft in your software?

I am asking these questions because I like your software, but would not want to use this function if it is not being implemented legally. Please ellaborate.

Thanks,

AC

Deion G.
04-28-2002, 12:56 AM
its perfectly legal :) otherwise he and many others wouldnt touch the format ;) microsfot supplies teh sdk and teh fiels to install the files it isnt a hack its legit :)

attackcenter
04-30-2002, 02:16 AM
Hi,

Deon: Thanks for your reply. Although I was hoping for something official from the author or the mods here.

Also I noticed that the Microsoft WMA 8 codec file was modified. I am wondering if this is legal? Not to mention that one of files (codec?) says that it was licensed in the year 2000. It now now 2002, is the codec currently licensed to be used in your software and modified?

I admire your programs, but was a little suspicious earlier when the Dbpoweramp Converter was the only converter with Microsoft WMA 8 support. Now there are more, but a reply would be appreciated.

Thanks AC

Razgo
04-30-2002, 03:18 AM
Hi attackcenter, your concerns are noted, and Spoon will be along soon to answer this himself.

but I think Deion G is correct in his answer.

Spoon
04-30-2002, 03:32 AM
Deion G is absolutly correct everything is Ok, infact MS used to list my converter on their site.

attackcenter
04-30-2002, 04:38 AM
Hi,

I appreciate the quick reply. Thanks for verifying Deion's comments. Although, you didn't comment about the editing/modifying of the wma.dll, this is also legal and currently liscensed?

AC

Spoon
04-30-2002, 01:47 PM
The wma.dll is my dll that inferfaces with the Microsoft stuff. I am in contact with the guys incharge of WMA now and then, if there were any problems they would have acted by now... ;)

attackcenter
04-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Hi Spoon,

Thanks for clearing that up. I knew that the Dbpoweramp Converter was one of the first (if not the first) to have this ability and was making sure it was legit.

AC

totalXSive
05-01-2002, 08:34 AM
I think that if Spoon had been naughty, he'd be up in court already :)

Nex
05-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Is the version 8 wma codec only usable on XP? I'm using ME and while I did download and install the 8 codec for dpoweramp, I'm still getting reports that 7.1 is being used. Nex

Spoon
05-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Here is the clever bit :) A wma stream encoded with 7.1 is wma v8! That is MS for you...

Nex
05-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Whoa - Whew! For a minute there I thought the world had turned upside down. Thanx for the reply - my faith in reality has returned. 7.1 equals 8 - perfectly logical. Nex

June
05-01-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi Spoon ! I've noticed that the image in your avatar bears a startling resemblence to some utensils in my kitchen drawers. Is it legal for you to use it in this manner ? <giggle>

Love ya ! ~~ June