PDA

View Full Version : Problem ripping tracks from problem-free CD

hoju
09-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey all,

I did a quick search to see if anyone else had come across the same issue, but I couldn't find anything.

I've got a CD which I'm having trouble ripping two tracks from (19 & 20, the last 2 on the disc). It's the 2nd disc of the Concert for George CD set, and it's completely free from scratches and scuffing, and has no copy protection. The weird thing is that the CD itself is in the AccurateRip database, and the first 18 tracks rip successfully (to WAV) and accurately (compared to 4 other rips).

When I go to rip tracks 19 & 20, I get nothing but problems with every drive I've tested (they're marked as insecure). I've tried ripping at different speeds, using secure and ultra-secure modes, but it skips all over the place, and the CRC changes with each rip. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the CD is 79:15 and the ripping problems start at approximately the 75 minute mark, when the disc slows right down to 3x/4x (when it's previously about 30x).

The drive I'm using (a Lite-On LH-18A1P) has been AccurateRip verified and has been used without any problems to rip 350 or so other CDs. It's using the latest firmware, as are the other drives I've tried:

Pioneer 105 DVD-ROM
LG GDR-8163B DVD-ROM
LG GSA-4163B DVD-/+RW

Can anybody offer any suggestions? This is the last CD I need to rip before I'm finished :(

As a side question, what is the best drive that people recommend for doing high-quality rips?

Hoju