Buddy Fey
09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm on 12.2.

Here's what I've tried:
1-Download the DirectShow codec
2-Run the exe to install the codec
3-Edit and save the text file to include .RAX on the bottom line
4-Start the dbPowerAmp configuration

The configuration does not show the new codec. And, of course, the db PowerAmp "Convert to" option doesn't show on the context menu for any RAX file I select.

What am I doing wrong?

Spoon
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Can Windows Media Player play those rax files?

Buddy Fey
09-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Can Windows Media Player play those rax files?

It appears not.

When I try /File/Open, it doesn't recognize it as a media file. I have to tell it to show all files (*.*) to open it. Once I do so, it shows a message that says "the selected file has an extension that is not recognized by WMP, but the player may still be able to play it, blah blah..." So I ask it to try to play the file, but nothing happens.

Wayne
09-23-2007, 06:18 AM
How big are these .rax files? It could be that they involve some sort of DRM.

Can you play them using the Media Player Classic that comes with Real Alternative?

Wayne

Buddy Fey
09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
How big are these .rax files? It could be that they involve some sort of DRM.

Can you play them using the Media Player Classic that comes with Real Alternative?

Wayne

I'd say typically 4 or 5 MB for a 3 minute song.

I don't have Real Alternative, so I can't tell you whether it will play them or not. My wife downloaded these RAX songs and albums from Real over a period of several years. I don't know if there is DRM in them or not. We're trying to consolidate our music collection into MP3s, and I already have dbPowerAmp, so I'm just trying to get the required codecs installed and working.

LtData
09-24-2007, 06:16 PM
You have to have Real Alternative to play the files in WMP or have dMC decode them. Try installing Real Alternative. However, I believe that .rax files are normally Real-protected tracks, so you would have to use Auxiliary Input to record the songs while you play them and then convert them to your desired format. Note that you need to have dMC r11.5 installed to use Aux Input and make sure you follow the instructions here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

Buddy Fey
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe that's why the codec appeared not to install. IIRC, I downloaded it from Legacy Codec Central. I didn't understand what that meant at the time.

Guess I missed all the required steps. Is there somewhere on the site that explains it all?

LtData
09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Nonono, Legacy Codec Central is for r11.5 and older, not for r12.2. The r12.2 Real codec is here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-realaudio.htm

Buddy Fey
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
LtData - Thanks for the reply.

I got to the legacy codec by following a link in another thread here. Guess that was wrong.

OK, so what's the correct process, both for installing and converting? Why do I need Real Alternative, what's its role?

LtData
09-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Real Alternative installs the RealMedia Splitter, which enables DirectShow to decode the Real files, which enables WMP or dMC to read the decoded files.