PDA

View Full Version : Final tagging queries - iTunes/Sonos compatible?

Empgamer
08-28-2007, 03:07 AM
At last, having gone between various forums I've finally got my impending rip into FLAC (PC and Sonos play) and conversion to M4A (iTunes/Ipod) sorted.

I did get mega confused over filename v. tagging and if I've got it right now Filename merely relates to the PC folder structure and file listing within those folders so you can see them on the PC/MAC and it's nothing that ANY player will take notice of. Tags are what players read.

So, I plan to use dBpowerAMP Reference (DBPAR) for rip and convert as it obtains and embeds album art which is one less thing for me to do later. For tagging I plan to use the simplest I can get away with. My main concern is that whatever tags I use I do not want them later to cause problems with either the Ipod or a Sonos.

Main two things I'm concerned about are:

Track numbering: I notice when ripping (I did a comparision to see how it ripped and tagged tracks) that iTunes uses a default of '5 of 13' etc. which is doubtless as a result of using 'track of total tracks' on DBPAR tag settings. Is this convention (e.g. track no OF total tracks) likely to cause problems with a Sonos? Dependant on the answer to that would it be better (or not matter) to tell DBPAR to force 2 digit track numbering (05). I am assuming here that the 'Track' column in iTunes does take its info from the Tag.

CD numbering: Same thing really. Any problems with using 1 of 2 and if not would 01 of 02 be better.

I know I can change all this with an editor later but I don't really want to have to alter 100+ albums when I can get it right on import (or at least 99% right).

Having finally arrived at what I hope is the likely tagging format I plan to use I'd appreciate if any Foobar users would indicate whether the below looks as if something is not right when using its default settings in a playlist:

10. David Bowie - [Best of Bowie [UK] CD1/2 *10/19] The Jean Genie

Only thing I'm not sure of (and I cant remember for sure) is that when I ripped some albums with EAC a week or so ago the 'read out' didin;t seem so cluttered in the middle with the [Best of Bowie [UK] CD1/2 *10/19] but I MAY be mistaken. I could do a test rip with EAC to compare but I don't have it installed on this PC and I'd rather avoid the time in setting up etc if everrything looks OK. It may just be the settings in Foobar re how it displays a playlist. In Media Monkey everything seem to be where it should be as it is with iTunes when the FLAC is copied across into M4A.

As an aside I've read that M4A is better than MP3 which I was surprised about. I though MP3 LAME was the best????

Spoon
08-28-2007, 05:55 AM
There is not much in mp3 and m4a, m4a has the slight edge, it is a newer codec.

Double digit track numbering should not cause any problems.

LtData
08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
There are option in the CD ripper (for future rips) that will pad both the disc number and track number to two digits.

Empgamer
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes I've found the option to foce double digits on both. I was just wondering whether there were any potential issues with using either of the options that I'm not aware of. I'd hate to rip 100+ albums only have to go and change the numbering because of 'x'.

Nice software now I've found how to work it properly. I do think it would benefit from a Hydrogen Audio EAC type set up guide for newbs though.