PDA

View Full Version : Naming Scheme tutorial feedback

LtData
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Please put feedback to the naming scheme tutorial (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13928) here.

GerardLardner
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Just starting to read this carefully, but it looks very good. Lots more information, just what I needed. Thank you.

Gerard Lardner

nathannagy
09-08-2007, 03:06 PM
OK, I have spent a lot of time studying and learning the naming commands and feel that I understand what I am doing but I am still having a problem. I want 4 rules to be followed. 1. (compilation or not) if genre = soundtrack then put it in \soundtracks\album\filename. 2. (compilation or not) if genre = holiday then put it in \holiday\album\filename. 3. if artist = various artists then put it in \various artists\album\filename. 4. if single artist or band then put it in \artist or band\album\filename. The problem I am having is that it is repeating rules or skipping them ie. James Brown Christmas is a genre holiday AND single artist but it is placing it in \James Brown\... NOT \holiday\... Any suggestions? I have tried about 2 doz different combinations and can't seem to get it to work with all options. I guess what would make it the easiest would be if the commands were order specific, then which ever rule applied first would be the one that DBA would follow.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Magnus_CA
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Where do you insert the '\' to get a new folder created per album regardless of whether it's a compilation, multidisc, or single disk?

I just ripped a single cd and the only folder that was created was for the artist.

I'm using the default naming scheme...
[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][]

Thanks!

LtData
09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
For the [IFCOMP] part, you should have a separate folder for each album. For the [IF!COMP] part, add a [album]\ towards the end, to make it this:

\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][]

Magnus_CA
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks. That did the trick!

Magnus_CA
09-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Here's my current naming scheme:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][]

This creates a folder per artist and per album. How can I also create a folder per disc in a box set scenario?

Thanks!

Magnus_CA
09-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Here's my current naming scheme:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][]

This creates a folder per artist and per album. How can I also create a folder per disc in a box set scenario?

Thanks!

This may be a silly question but is there any benefit to having all songs at the same folder level?

LtData
09-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Magnus: Change "\[album]\" to "\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\"

Magnus_CA
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Magnus: Change "\[album]\" to "\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\"

Thanks. Again, is there any advantage to having all of your audio files on the same folder level? I can see this approach will bury all multidisc songs down a directory. Just trying to cover all bases since this archiving job will probably rule my life for the next week.

LtData
09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't know of any advantage of having your audio files on the same level. I do know this means that if you use dMC, you will only get one album art file for the folder.

jongig
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I have started ripping CDs into Flac and I've notioced a few differences between Flac and WMA lossless. I don't have album art in the WMA folders so I guess each file has it built in. Is this a good idea or not since DBP is not doing it this way?

I'm not into programming and really don't want to learn this stuff but I guess I have to to some degree. What I noticed was that the program is just saving all the sogs from an artist in one folder and only retreiving the cover art for the first disc ripped. I like the way WMP does it and like the cascading folders, i.e. Bon Jovi as a folder and then albums/folders within that folder.

This code listed above, is this the correct code and can I just do a copy/paste and use it and will it do as I'm discussing?

LtData
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Your naming scheme looks like it will do that, yes.

poetryrocksalot
07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Why don't you just implement the mostly used naming settings into default choices for the ripper.

Spoon
07-24-2008, 04:15 AM
We do, but everyone is different.

LowWaterMark
07-27-2008, 05:44 AM
I just finished my third time through your tutorial. Thank you for the wonderful effort. I am left with a question most likely stemming my fragile literacy with computers.

given:
composer,[composer],[artist][]
is it not possible to have a composer [I]and key soloist in the naming scheme? Say you have a CD of Yo-Yo Ma performing Bach (e.g. Simply Baroque/ Yo-Yo Ma (http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Baroque/dp/B0000CD5G9/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b). Does one have to choose between composer and artist?

I'm struggling a bit here. Could you take a moment to include a naming scheme for a symphonic CD, with, for example, the following hierarchical fields simplified from the Amazon.com example above (forgive my fabrication in that it is in truth a single CD package, not a set of two):
1. composer (Johann Sebastian Bach)
2. orchestra (Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra)
3. soloist (Yo-Yo Ma)
4. conductor (Ton Koopman)
5. disc 1 (of 2)
6. symphony (Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major)
7. movement (Air on a G String)

LowWaterMark
07-28-2008, 04:31 AM
As a follow up to my original inquiry above, I understand that dBpoweramp is written in C++ programming language. Is the naming scheme also written in C++ or is it a dialect thereof or completely different? I'm unsure if Vorbis Comments is a subset of C++ or unrelated. I have read the Ogg Vorbis Documentation (http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html) at Xiph and this associated website (http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html) re Ogg Vorbis as well as this C++ tutorial (http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/) for non-programmers. As to the big picture I am still confused.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind the naming scheme and am looking to teach myself that language (or language dialect). I wish to become somewhat functional in the language. I'd like to get past my present strategy, which is to copy/paste others' naming schemes.

I'm not asking you to alleviate my ignorance. I'm asking to be directed to a tutorial of sorts so that I can educate myself.

Spoon
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
The naming scheme is not c++

Kim K.
07-28-2008, 09:56 AM
1- Spoon and LtData - could you please post your current personal naming schemes? LtData's, I see your scheme above but I would very much appreciate getting your latest iteration.

2- Do you different schemes for particular scenarios (e.g., multiple artists, compilation)? Sorry about my beginner's question. Figuring out naming has kept me from starting my rip session.

Thank you

Spoon
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
My current one is the one if you click [default]

LtData
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
My current one:
[IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[][album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [artist] - [title]

Chip
08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I have a problem that when I use the [IF!EQUALS] operator. I am not getting the expected results.
Tag and Value
[album artist] is set to Allman Brothers Band, The
[artist] is set to Allman Brothers Band, The

I copied the following from the Naming SET button by checking the Current CD Meta box.

my code
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[album artist] - [album] - [IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title][IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist], - [artist][]

my results
Allman Brothers Band, The\Hittin' the Note\Allman Brothers Band, The - Hittin' the Note - 02 - High Cost of Low Living - Allman Brothers Band, The

From my understanding of the operator the last artist name in the results should not be there.
If I change [IF!EQUALS] to [IFEQUALS] the last artist name does not appear.
This seems opposite to how I understand the operators.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Chip

Spoon
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Send your order number please to:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Chip
08-22-2008, 05:08 AM
I have sent the email as requested.

Spoon
08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Sorry my oder number request should have gone to another thread...

You need:

[IF!EQUALS]artist,[album artist], - [artist][]

The first tag value does not need [] around as it has to be a tag value, it is a little bit of a discrepancy I know.

Dama
11-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi
I've looked at the tutorial but cannot find what I'm after.
I would like to rip music to a folder with the artist surname ie Jarrett, Keith not Keith Jarrett. Can this be done?
Thanks

Spoon
11-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Sorry no.

wiloPete
11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
G'day all,
I've been mucking around with the naming scheme for a bit and have settled on:

[IFCOMP] [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] ([year]) [FLAC]\[track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][] -[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] ([year]) [FLAC]\[track] - [title][]

All works well, but you will notice that I have [FLAC] in there instead of [encoder].... this is because no matter what I do, I keep getting mp3(lame) as a result. My BASIC naming scheme is:
ARTIST - ALBUM (year) [encoder type] with various permutation for compilations etc. I want my cds ripped in accordance with this template:
MAIN DIRECTORY NAMED: ARTIST - ALBUM (year) [encoder]
And inside that directory: /[track] - [title]
Unless multidisc, then /Disc 1 etc.

Big question - why can't I get the ripper to show what encoder I'm using (I always use FLAC)?
I have tried [[encoder]] and ([encoder]) and [encoder] but all give me mp3 (lame) as a result when I check naming by selecting Current CD Meta checkbox.

Only a small thing, but...
Cheers!

Spoon
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
There is a bug, but only on the naming page in CD Ripper, if you rip a CD with [encoder] the correct one is written.

jlr_aet
12-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I Have a question on naming.........

I'm currently using:
[IF!COMP][GRAB]1,1,[album artist][][][IFCOMP]Compilation[]\[IF!COMP][album artist]\[][[year]] [album] [[UPPER][extension][]][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][IFCOMP] [[artist]][]

That gives me:

...\Music\M\Matthews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim\[1999] Live At Luther College [FLAC]\Disc 1\01 - Title.flac

I added (see bold)

[IF!COMP][GRAB]1,1,[album artist][][][IFCOMP]Compilation[]\[IF!COMP][album artist]\[][[year]] [album] [[UPPER][extension][]][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][IFCOMP] [[artist]][][IFEQUALS]Live,[genre], (Live)[]

I wanted to add (Live) after the title for albums where i set the genre as "Live".

Like so:

...\Music\M\Matthews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim\[1999] Live At Luther College [FLAC]\Disc 1\01 - Title (live).flac

For some reason it doesn't work......any ideas?

NOTES:
I use the album artist tag to control the folder format. ie "Artist=Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds" and "Album Artist=Mathews, Dave & Reynolds, Tim" This gives me the folder structure i want. This works well for artists with "The" in the title.

Cheers,
James

jodawi
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Is there a limit on length? I tried to make a long string to handle various degenerate cases, and in the one example in the dialog (Madonna*) it looks fine. But on disk the paths created have the various codes mixed in.

(*there really ought to be lots more, and an option to preview all names before converting and flag likely errors from bad tags).

Here's the string:

[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album artist][][][],[IFVALUE][album],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album][][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][artist][][][],[ Unknown ][][][][]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album artist][][],[IFVALUE][album],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][artist][][],[ Unknown ][][][][IFVALUE][year],[IF!EQUALS][year],0000, . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]4,[year][][])[],[][IFVALUE][album artist],[IFVALUE][album], . [MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][],[],[][IFCOMP] . Compilation[][IFVALUE][disc], . disc [disc][IFVALUE][disc_total], of [disc_total],[],[][IFVALUE][track_total], . [track_total] tracks,[][IFVALUE][album artist],,[IFVALUE][album],,[IFVALUE][artist],,[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][][][][][]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][track],[TRIM][track][],__[] . [IFVALUE][title],[TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[title][][],[ Unknown Title ] . [ [origfilename] ] . [unique][][IFVALUE][artist],[IFVALUE][album artist],[IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist], . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[artist][][])[],[IFVALUE][album], . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[artist][][]),[][],[][].[extension]

Here's the breakdown:

*** Get first letter, or [ Unknown ], as first directory name

*** [ Unknown ]\
*** A\
*** B\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album artist][][][]
[IFVALUE][album],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album][][][]
[IFVALUE][artist],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][artist][][][]
[ Unknown ]
[]
[]
[]
[]

\

*** Get next directory name

[TRIM]

*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ]
*** A\Album Artist
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack
*** C\Cool Track Artist

[IFVALUE][album artist],
[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album artist][][]
[IFVALUE][album],
[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][]
[IFVALUE][artist],
[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][artist][][]
[ Unknown ]
[]
[]
[]

*** Add year if there is one

*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999)
*** A\Album Artist
*** A\Album Artist . (1999)
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . (1999)
*** C\Cool Track Artist
*** C\Cool Track Artist . (1999)

[IFVALUE][year],
[IF!EQUALS][year],0000,
. ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]4,[year][][])
[]
[]

*** Add album title, if not added above

*** A\Album Artist
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) Album Title
*** A\Album Artist . Album Title

[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IFVALUE][album],
[]
[]

*** Add compilation, if is

*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Compilation
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) Album Title . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . Album Title . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . Compilation
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . (1999) . Compilation
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . Compilation
*** C\Cool Track Artist
*** C\Cool Track Artist . (1999) . Compilation
*** C\Cool Track Artist . Compilation

[IFCOMP]
. Compilation
[]

*** Add disc info

*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Compilation
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) Album Title . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . Album Title . Compilation
*** A\Album Artist . Compilation
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . (1999) . Compilation
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . Compilation
*** C\Cool Track Artist
*** C\Cool Track Artist . (1999) . Compilation
*** C\Cool Track Artist . Compilation

*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Compilation . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Compilation . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) Album Title . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) Album Title . Compilation . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . (1999) . Compilation . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . Album Title . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . Album Title . Compilation . Disc 1
*** A\Album Artist . Compilation . Disc 1
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . Disc 1
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . (1999) . Disc 1
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . (1999) . Compilation . Disc 1
*** B\Bummerville Soundtrack . Compilation . Disc 1
*** C\Cool Track Artist . Disc 1
*** C\Cool Track Artist . (1999) . Disc 1
*** C\Cool Track Artist . (1999) . Compilation . Disc 1
*** C\Cool Track Artist . Compilation . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . (1999) . Compilation . Disc 1
*** [ Unknown ]\[ Unknown ] . Compilation . Disc 1

[IFVALUE][disc],
. disc [disc]
[IFVALUE][disc_total],
of [disc_total]
[]
[]

[IFVALUE][track_total],
. [track_total] tracks
[]

[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IFVALUE][album],
[IFVALUE][artist],
[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]
[]
[]
[]
[]

\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][track],
[TRIM]
[track]
[]
__
[]

[IFVALUE][title],
[TRIM]
[MAXLENGTH]
[title]
[]
[]
[ Unknown Title ]
. [ [origfilename] ]
. [unique]
[]

[IFVALUE][artist],
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist],
. ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[artist][][])
[]
[IFVALUE][album],
[]
[]
[]
[]

.[extension]

In the dialog, this string results in:

M\Madonna . (2003) . Immaculate . disc 1\05 . Holiday.mp3

On disk, I get paths like these (in addition to various crashes in CoreConverter.exe):

V:\Audio\Converted\[TRIM][IFVALUE]album artist,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][][][],[IFVALUE]album,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][][][],[IFVALUE]artist,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][][][],[ Unk\[TRIM][IFVALUE]track,[TRIM][],__[] . [IFVALUE]title,[TRIM][M. 9807[][IFVALUE]arti.mp3

When converting *.ogg to *.mp3, the above Madonna track converts from this

G:\Audio\Music\M\Madonna\The Immaculate Collection (1990)\ogg . 01 . Holiday . 241kb.ogg
to this
V:\Audio\Converted\[TRIM][IFVALUE]album artist,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][][][],[IFVALUE]album,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM]The Immaculate Collection[][][],[IFVALUE]artist,[UPPER][GR\[TRIM][IFVALUE]track,[TRIM]01[],__[] . [IFVALUE]title,[TRIM]. 9909[][IFVALUE]arti.mp3

Other comments:

I haven't gone through all of the tutorials (and probably won't at this point, just using a simple string instead), but it would be nice if all path problems like spaces at the beginning or ends of filenames or pathnames were automatically taken care of.

Spoon
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
You are putting the naming string into the dynamic section, rather than the file path (which is limited to 255 chars).

jodawi
04-01-2009, 12:06 AM
You are putting the naming string into the dynamic section, rather than the file path (which is limited to 255 chars).

I'm not sure what you mean...

In 'Folder', I have:
V:\Audio\Converted\
In 'Dynamic', I have the dynamic code.

Windows paths should be limited to 255 chars for each file or directory name, not 255 chars for the entire path name. I have various [MAXLENGTH]s in there to take care of that limit.

Regardless, I don't think any computed path lengths will be over 255 chars total, so I assume the limitation here is that the string of codes is limited to a certain number of chars, which it shouldn't be, since that's something under dBpoweramp's control and not an OS issue.

I tried a shorter string which works:

G:\Audio\Music\M\Madonna\The Immaculate Collection (1990)\ogg . 01 . Holiday . 241kb.ogg

[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album artist][][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][artist][][][],[IFVALUE][album],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album][][][],[ Unknown ][][][][]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album artist][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][artist][][],[IFVALUE][album],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][],[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][][][IFVALUE][year], . ([year]),[][TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[IFVALUE][album artist],[IFVALUE][album], . [album],[],[IFVALUE][artist],[IFVALUE][album], . [album],[],[][][][][IFMULTI] . disc [disc][][]\[TRIM][track] . [IFVALUE][title],[TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[title][][],[ Unknown Title ] . [ [origfilename] ] . [unique][][IFVALUE][artist],[IFVALUE][album artist],[IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist], . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[artist][][])[],[],[][]

V:\Audio\Converted\M\Madonna . (1990). The Immaculate Collection\01 . Holiday.mp3

I can try the individual components (making the code string smaller) and they work individually:

Part 1:

[Path Part 1]\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album artist][][][]
[IFVALUE][artist],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][artist][][][]
[IFVALUE][album],
[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album][][][]
[ Unknown ]
[]
[]
[]
[]

\[Unique ID [unique]]
becomes

[Path Part 1]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album artist][][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][artist][][][],[IFVALUE][album],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][album][][][],[ Unknown ][][][][]\[Unique ID [unique]]
creating

V:\Audio\Converted\[Path Part 1]\M\[Unique ID 9924].mp3

Part 2:

[Path Part 2]\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album artist][][]
[IFVALUE][artist],
[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][artist][][]
[IFVALUE][album],
[ Unknown ]
[]
[]
[]
[]

\[Unique ID [unique]]
becomes

[Path Part 2]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][album artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album artist][][],[IFVALUE][artist],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][artist][][],[IFVALUE][album],[MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][],[ Unknown ][][][][]\[Unique ID [unique]
creating

V:\Audio\Converted\[Path Part 2]\Madonna\[Unique ID 9926].mp3

Part 3:

[Path part 3]\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][year],
[IF!EQUALS][year],0000,
. ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]4,[year][][])
[]
[]
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IFVALUE][album],
[]
[]
[IFCOMP]
. Compilation
[]
[IFVALUE][disc],
. disc [disc]
[IFVALUE][disc_total],
of [disc_total]
[]
[]
[IFVALUE][track_total],
. [track_total] tracks
[]
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IFVALUE][album],
[IFVALUE][artist],
[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]
[]
[]
[]
[]

\[Unique ID [unique]]
becomes

[Path part 3]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][year],[IF!EQUALS][year],0000, . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]4,[year][][])[],[][IFVALUE][album artist],[IFVALUE][album], . [MAXLENGTH]30,[TRIM][album][][],[],[][IFCOMP] . Compilation[][IFVALUE][disc], . disc [disc][IFVALUE][disc_total], of [disc_total],[],[][IFVALUE][track_total], . [track_total] tracks,[][IFVALUE][album artist],,[IFVALUE][album],,[IFVALUE][artist],,[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][][][][][]\[Unique ID [unique]]
creating

V:\Audio\Converted\[Path part 3]\ (1990)\[Unique ID 9927].mp3

(Note the space at the beginning of the (1990) folder - [TRIM] failed to get this, probably because the period got trimmed off too to avoid making the directory look like a system file. It would be very nice if all possible bad file names would be automatically converted to a good file name, with a warning or error logged to indicate the problem.)

Part 4:

[Path part 4]\

[TRIM]
[IFVALUE][track],
[TRIM]
[track]
[]
__
[]
[IFVALUE][title],
[TRIM]
[MAXLENGTH]
[title]
[]
[]
[ Unknown Title ]
. [ [origfilename] ]
. [unique]
[]
[IFVALUE][artist],
[IFVALUE][album artist],
[IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist],
[]
[]
[]
[]
becomes

[Path part 4]\[TRIM][IFVALUE][track],[TRIM][track][],__[] . [IFVALUE][title],[TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[title][][],[ Unknown Title ] . [ [origfilename] ] . [unique][][IFVALUE][artist],[IFVALUE][album artist],[IF!EQUALS][artist],[album artist], . ([TRIM][MAXLENGTH]30,[artist][][])[],[],[][]
creating

V:\Audio\Converted\[Path part 4]\01 . Holiday.mp3

If I combine the pieces in Windows, I get:

V:\Audio\Converted\M\Madonna\ (1990)\01 . Holiday.mp3which is less than 255 characters for each part and for the total string. (Also missing the album since I screwed up and left that off.)

If I combine the codes in dBpoweramp, I get:

V:\Audio\Converted\[TRIM][IFVALUE]album artist,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM][][][],[IFVALUE]artist,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM]Madonna[][][],[IFVALUE]album,[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[TRIM]The Immacu\The Immaculate Collection (1990)[][][][][][][][TRIM][IFVALUE. 9929[][IFVALUE.mp3

Anyway, I'm switching to a standard simple string.

chubster
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi

Currently have this in the Dynamic field and all is OK but I am getting results like "Corrs, the"

What do I need to do so that the has a capital T ?

okofoto
08-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Very nice.
But I think I'd like to see a detailed example. This in part because in my setup the album folders are not created and so I end up with two albums by the same artist simply under the artist's name. I thought I was doing something wrong (I assumed that the correct thing would be the default, the way the examples are listed: ...Music\Artist\Album\longsetupname), but I am not sure.

Example.
This is the default:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

This is the default example:

Madonna\Immaculate\05 Madonna - Holiday

This is how it is stored:

Madonna\05 Madonna - Holiday

with the Folder.jpg in the Madona folder; a second album by the same artist will change the picture, of course, and add all the tracks to the same folder...

Note that I do not expect you to solve my problem!

okofoto
08-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Figured it out!
The problem was that I was using MultiEncoder and stupidly assumed that the settings would be inherited from the individual settings for the codecs.
That will teach me! And may be others who do not read the instructions properly.

Ben303
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
is there a way to batch rename metadata in files?

well I already know the answer to that question, yes.

selecting multiple files and then right clicking to edit the ID tag.

HOWEVER what I am after is a way to use wildcard or regular expressions to rename metadata. So for instance, in the BWF description of wave files in a sound fx library, they will have different desriptors - one will have 'ASCEND, HIT, METALIC,' another will have 'GLASS BREAKING, SHATTER, ECHO' etc etc and I want to add a tag at the end to a bunch of files, for instance ', OUTDOORS' - so rename using '*, OUTDOORS' or something similar.

Is this possible?

Spoon
09-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Do not think you can do this.

dvdr
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
@ Ben 303

MP3Tag (www.mp3tag.de) can do this, it is sort of a swiss army knife for tag-editing. Don't know, whether it accepts BWF-files, though...

In your case, you can define/assign a tag-name for this "descriptor", let's say "sound-description". Then, you will define an action (that also can be stored and called with a mouseclick for recurring editing), in this case it would be "format tag field". Then, you would apply an action to the field "sound-description" and define the action to be "%sound-description%, outdoors".
This will do the following:
1.) it will read the tag-field "sound-description"
2.) it will add the following to the end of the existing values inside tag-field: , outdoors
3.) it will store that altered tag back to the tag-field "sound-description"

MP3Tag is extremely configurable, with tons of programming possible, so best you read their documentation, wiki and forum to see, whether it fits your needs...

BrodyBoy
09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm trying to get a grasp on when tag names used in naming schemes should be bracketed, and when they shouldn't. In just about every case, they're variables that return the actual tags, i.e., ARTIST and [ARTIST] both return whatever is in the "artist" field. (The exception being IFVALUE, which doesn't return the actual tag data, but rather, just a yes or no on whether the field has data.)

So, considering this example, which renames "The Artist" to "Artist, The":

[IFEQUALS]artist,The [DEL]1,4,[artist][],[TRIM][DEL]1,4,[artist][], The[][]

Why is "artist" as the target not bracketed, while "artist" as the [DEL] target [I]is ? In both cases, they represent a variable that returns the contents of the artist tag in exactly the same way.

I'd like to understand the pattern, rather than just know a case or two, so I can apply it correctly whenever I need to.

Spoon
09-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Just an implementation anomaly.

DVDYMBGC
01-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Is there any support to have it create a folder based on which drive it came from? I'd like to be able to set up multiple machines and run different projects on each. If not, this would be immensely helpful in future versions!

Thanks!

Spoon
01-05-2012, 05:46 AM
[SETLEN]1,,,[origpath][]

DVDYMBGC
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I am attempting to use [SETLEN]1,,,[origpath][]\[discunique]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]
It does not seem to create a folder based on the source. Am I missing something?

Spoon
02-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Sorry you are right, origpath does not have the drive letter, I will put a request in for [origdrive] for next beta

DVDYMBGC
02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Awesome, thanks!

planalp
05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi, here is my current naming Scheme:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]VA[][]__[album]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]VA[][]__[album]__[IFMULTI]CD[disc]-[disc_total]_[][track]-[track_total][IFCOMP]__[artist][]__[title]

it generated for example:

D:\Music\Ablaye_Cissoko__Amanké_Dionti\Ablaye_Ciss oko__Amanké_Dionti__01-07__Kana_Maloundi.flac

But I would like the folders named in a sorting order; you gave code to change The Beetles into Beetles, The for example, but this is not general; here, I would like

D:\Music\Cissoko,_Ablaye__Amanké_Dionti\Cissoko,_A blaye__Amanké_Dionti__01-07__Kana_Maloundi.flac

I would therefore like to request to have available [album artist sort], [artist sort], and [album sort] as additional metadata sources for the naming... or is there a way to do this? Before ripping I always check for these tags and create them if needed.

Very good reason for this, which is I want to have my disc hierarchy of songs match the way the music is physically sorted on the shelf, as closely as possible.

Thank you!
Roy Planalp

Spoon
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Try [tag]artistsort[]

Alan77
09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
My simple scheme is: artist\album\track title based on a file and directory structure like this: M:\Music\Art Pepper\Straight Life\01 Surf Ride

I am trying to tag from file names only the missing tags on the first track on some albums (resulting from originally ripping to WAV files with WMP). All of the later tracks are fine and do not need to be changed. For the tracks I want to change, the title tag in my ALAC files (converted from WAV) always reads "Track 1" rather than the actual name. On those tracks the artist, album and track are also missing (i.e., they read "Unknown Album").

I have tried both of the following without success. Any assistance would be appreciated.

[IFEQUALS]title,Track 1,[artist][]\[IFEQUALS]title,Track 1,[album][]\[IFEQUALS]title,Track 1,[track][]\[IFEQUALS]title,Track 1, [title][]

[IFVALUE]title,Track 1,[artist][]\[IFVALUE]title,Track 1,[album][]\[IFVALUE]title,Track 1,[track][]\ [IFVALUE]title,Track 1, [title][]

Alan

dvdr
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Why don't you just download mp3tag, load each album, and do a tag query on amazon or freedb from there, just type in the name of the album, tags and albumart wil be assigned from the software...

Alan77
09-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but album art is already in file and tags for all other tracks are fine. (This is a problem unique to WMP wav rips where WMP starts writing the first track before the album info has been downloaded.) If I can't limit the tagging by file name to the first track, I'll simply rewrite all of the tags which is what I'm trying to avoid because there could be issues that I can't anticipate.

jazzyphile
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Upgraded from Win XP to Win 7 Have 2500 flac files in 109 genres but dB will no longer sort by genre. Already have Coltrane in Jazz Modern and Jazz Avant Garde. dB now ignores that and creates another file under Coltrane (I already have Coltrane folder). Where should genre go in naming scheme. When I insert genre, it inserts at end of scheme. It ain't working!. Everything worked until I upgraded to Win 7.

dbfan
01-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Please explain how dBpoweramp should be sorting by genre?

EliC
01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
updating my naming scheme, hoping for a second eye on it to make sure there are no problems:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[MAXLENGTH]100,[album artist][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][MAXLENGTH]100,[artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]100,[album][][IFMULTI] (Disc [disc])[] ([track_total]) ([cddb_id])\[track] - [MAXLENGTH]100,[title][]

puckman
06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi
I've looked at the tutorial but cannot find what I'm after.
I would like to rip music to a folder with the artist surname ie Jarrett, Keith not Keith Jarrett. Can this be done?
Thanks

Sorry no.

I have R14.3 which I used to rip around 1000 CD's into FLAC. It has been a flexible and an indispensable app.

Recently, reading an uncountable number of threads/posts I discovered my library has a mix of ID3 and Vorbis metadata - a no-no. Not sure how I can proceed to remedy this oversight in a batch file but that's post for a different thread.

I prefaced my question because I'm not sure it is related to my current challenge. Experimenting with the naming scheme I also discovered

album artist sort,[album artist sort],[Album Artist][] -[Album]\[Disc].[Track]

gives me [Album Artist] - [Album]\[Disc].[Track] from a [I]Vorbis Commented FLAC file even when the tag Album Artist Sort is populated. I think this is where the bad mix of Vorbis and ID3 reared its head.

So if I stripped out all ID3 tags so that only VORBIS metadata remains can the renaming scheme (or Arrange Audio) map the metadata to a filename which will accept the Album Artist Sort or ALBUMARTISTSORT?

If this tag is exclusive to Apple audio in the words of Homer Simpson D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!:headbang:

Spoon
06-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Visit codec central and install the [ID Tag Update] utility codec, this allows changes to ID Tags without the need to reencode.

With this you can remove id3 tags, just by removing this option in dBpoweramp then converting to [ID Tag Update]

SoMdTDI
07-13-2013, 10:09 PM
I did not see this mentioned previously... can you remove 'featured' artists? I.E., Accidentally Racist (featuring LL Cool J).

I do not wish it to be in the title or tags. I am only interested in the song title, not the featured artists.

Spoon
07-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Not possible, sorry

SoMdTDI
07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Not possible, sorry

Thanks, I didn't think it was. I just have to pay attention to the song titles before ripping.

Cienega32
09-03-2013, 12:08 AM
There's a nice Freeware program called 'Tag Scanner' that is a full tag editor which works with a lot of %variables% for bulk text transformation and the like. It's pretty versatile.

Frijolie
11-14-2013, 12:03 AM
First off, great product! The music ripper has made my life much simpler as I have converted from EAC. It was so worth the purchase! I just wish I had done it a long time ago.

I have a naming scheme issue and I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out. Here's my current scheme:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc]\[][album artist] - [album] - [track] - [title]

I've got it all working as expected except I would like to add the disc number to the filename (if multi disc). For example, this is something I'm looking for as far as the filename is concerned:

[album artist] - [album] - [if multi]Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title]

However, this doesn't seem to give me the results that I'm looking for when ripping the tracks. It will create the directories but the filename is missing the disc number. Can someone show me what's missing to get my desired filename?

Thanks in advance

Spoon
11-14-2013, 04:50 AM
[album artist] - [album] - [IFMULTI]Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title]

Gothic
09-09-2015, 08:15 PM
How does one imbed the UPC in the name? It's in the metadata, but I don't see a variable for it in the naming scheme.

mville
09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
How does one imbed the UPC in the name? It's in the metadata, but I don't see a variable for it in the naming scheme.

Try using:
[upc]

If that doesn't work, try using:
[tag]upc[]

Gothic
09-10-2015, 12:54 PM
[upc] works! Thank you very much!

mrjesserobinson
03-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Why is this adding a 'space' in front on the album artist folder?
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][]\[album]\[track] [title]

mrjesserobinson
03-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Sorry I the string should be this:
[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [title]

mrjesserobinson
03-22-2016, 03:00 PM
One last thing, when I move the folder to another location the space goes away? This post describes what is happening to me.
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/165007-cannot-change-filename-source-destination-filenames-same.html

Spoon
03-22-2016, 05:19 PM
You must have either a space at the beginning of the actual album artist tag, or in the naming string, post the full naming string with a copy and paste here please.

mrjesserobinson
03-22-2016, 06:48 PM
You must have either a space at the beginning of the actual album artist tag, or in the naming string, post the full naming string with a copy and paste here please.

Ahh! That was it. There was a space at the beginning of the string (hard to see when I posted). Thank you.

Johnny Moondog
03-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Is there a way to pad the disc number in a file name?

So the result is:

01-01 Track.flac

Instead of:

1-01 Track.flac

My current settings are:

Naming: [album artist]\[album]\[disc]-[track] [title]

Meta Data & ID Tag Options: [x] Pad disc number to 2 digits

Thanks for any feedback!

mville
03-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Is there a way to pad the disc number in a file name?

...My current settings are:

Naming: [album artist]\[album]\[disc]-[track] [title]

Meta Data & ID Tag Options: [x] Pad disc number to 2 digits

I have the Pad track number to 2 digits option ticked and this is working correctly for [track] in my Naming string. I am surprised to find Pad disc number to 2 digits option is not working, so I suspect this is a bug.

... please can you try using [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][] instead of [disc] as a possible workaround?

Johnny Moondog
03-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Thank you for this feedback.

Within Meta Data & ID Tag Options, both options are ticked — "Pad track number to 2 digits" and "Pad disc number to 2 digits".

When I look at the metadata of the tracks, both of these options are working.

But in the Naming string, [track] is padding correctly, and [disc] is not.

As an example, my file name looks like: 2-01 Jean the Birdman.flac

I will try your suggestion.

Johnny Moondog
03-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Your suggested workaround was successful.

Is there anything I could try that might help confirm and locate the bug?

Spoon
03-26-2016, 04:46 PM
It is not a bug, as naming is independent to ID Tags.

mville
03-27-2016, 07:04 AM
It is not a bug, as naming is independent to ID Tags.

So, why is the behaviour for [track] and [disc] not consistent i.e. why is track padding and disc not padding, within the naming string?

Spoon
03-27-2016, 08:59 AM
The naming section is shared between programs, CD Ripper, dMC, Multi Encoder to name a few, it does not have access to CD Rippers ID Tag settings. For naming track numbers are always padded, disc numbers are not (not many people have disc sets of 10 or more discs).

mville
03-27-2016, 09:53 AM
The naming section is shared between programs, CD Ripper, dMC, Multi Encoder to name a few, it does not have access to CD Rippers ID Tag settings. For naming track numbers are always padded, disc numbers are not (not many people have disc sets of 10 or more discs).

Thank you for the clarification.

Brentwz
06-11-2020, 02:12 AM
After purchasing dBpoweramp Reference and PerfectTunes software recently, I've re-ripped and re-organised our CD music collection, using CD Ripper. 169 artists and compilations, 3200 songs, great value software, thank you!

Now that it's done, I want to create a separate MP3 version of the collection so I can copy it to my wife's and my smartphones.

NOTE:
My default Music folder path is:
C:\Users\Brent\OneDrive\Music\*.*

My new path for the MP3 version is:
C:\Samsung S9 Music\*.*

If I setup a profile in Music Converter to do the task (as and when we add new albums to the collection), what do I input into MC's profile dialogs — to suit the MP3 path above?

Spoon
06-13-2020, 05:37 AM
Set the naming to:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]\[origfilename]

MaximusXXIV
06-13-2020, 11:37 PM
I like the software but the naming is horrible to understand. Just honest feedback.

I have ripped files to Music\FLAC

I am converting them to MP3 and want to add them to the same artist\song folder structure under

Music\MP3s

Seems really simple but I cannot get it to work even when I copy over the paths from mt old PC with an old version of the software.

Spoon
06-14-2020, 07:03 AM
What you are asking is quite complex, because your 'Music' folder really is:

c:\users\[username]\Music

so to go from:

c:\users\[username]\Music\FLAC\some folder\possibly another folder\filename.ext

to

c:\users\[username]\Music\mp3\some folder\possibly another folder\filename.ext

You have to trim the first 4 folders:

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][][]\[origfilename]

Then set your base output folder to: Music\Mp3\