PDA

View Full Version : Explorer.exe locking music folders

crymeariver
08-14-2007, 10:56 AM
:cry:

This problem started about three months ago following the installation of some dbpowerAMP codecs. To be honest I am not a techie and I don't really understand codecs. I have a strong feeling that it might be to do with either the Windows Media Audio 9 codec or the WMA V9 codec.

Explorer.exe is locking folders that contain some music files - mp3, wav and wma files. The files themselves are not affected and I can find ways around the problem by using some utilities, but the folders will not move, rename or delete in the normal way if they contain these files. I have tried 'unlocker' and 'who lock me?' but these do not solve the problem. I have also followed all the steps to take ownership of the folders but this has not worked either.

I tried a System Restore but I got dire warnings about Windows recovering from a serious error and it did not fix the problem. I have searched the web for an answer but can find no mention of the problem anywhere. Has anyone any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? My PC runs Windows XP. Thanks.

Wayne
08-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a couple of questions:

Which version of dMC are you using?

Are you using the additional columns provided by dMC in Windows Explorer?

Wayne

bhoar
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
cry -

When I get frustrated at explorer locking files or directories, rather than reboot, I close out all of my explorer-related tasks and then use the task-manager to kill all of the explorer processes. Then, if explorer doesn't automatically restart itself (sans file locks), I manually start it using the Task Manager as well.

-brendan

crymeariver
08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I have a couple of questions:

Which version of dMC are you using?

Are you using the additional columns provided by dMC in Windows Explorer?

Wayne

I am using version 6.0.0.2

Sorry, I don't know what your second question means. Can you explain? Thanks.

crymeariver
08-14-2007, 02:20 PM
cry -

When I get frustrated at explorer locking files or directories, rather than reboot, I close out all of my explorer-related tasks and then use the task-manager to kill all of the explorer processes. Then, if explorer doesn't automatically restart itself (sans file locks), I manually start it using the Task Manager as well.

-brendan

Thanks for this Brendan. rebooting does not fix the problem as explorer.exe just locks the folders as soon as Windows boots up. Unfortunately I don't understand the rest of your message and it sounds a bit scary to me! How do I find which tasks are explorer related? Also, if I stop all explorer processes doesn't that mean I will lose the GUI? I found warnings against doing this in my searches. I wouldn't know how to get it back. How would I find the Task Manager if there is no GUI? I'm sure these questions are daft but I'm afraid my understanding of these things is quite low!

bhoar
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
If the folders get locked on a reboot, then just ignore my post entirely. Something else is going on.

You can always get to the task manager even if explorer is gone via "ctrl-alt-delete" then select "Task Manager".

-brendan

Wayne
08-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I am using version 6.0.0.2
I thought the dMC version number would be 11.5 or 12.1. Trying launching the dMC (or dBpowerAMP) configuration window.

Sorry, I don't know what your second question means. Can you explain? Thanks.
dMC has the ability to make additional columns available in the Windows Explorer window relating to various tag information held in the audio files. Details such as bitrate, artist name etc. can be displayed for all audio formats supported by dMC not just wma and mp3. Check out the dMC configuration options.

Wayne

crymeariver
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I thought the dMC version number would be 11.5 or 12.1. Trying launching the dMC (or dBpowerAMP) configuration window.

dMC has the ability to make additional columns available in the Windows Explorer window relating to various tag information held in the audio files. Details such as bitrate, artist name etc. can be displayed for all audio formats supported by dMC not just wma and mp3. Check out the dMC configuration options.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, dMC configuration shows Release 11. When I hover my mouse over a music file the dBpowerAMP box appears showing bitrate and all the other info, but this disappears as soon as I move the mouse. How do I use it to help solve the folder locking problem?

Christine

Bill41
08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Wayne, dMC configuration shows Release 11. When I hover my mouse over a music file the dBpowerAMP box appears showing bitrate and all the other info, but this disappears as soon as I move the mouse. How do I use it to help solve the folder locking problem?

Christine

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13091

Start Menu --> All Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp/dMC Configuration

Wayne
08-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Does the locking occur when a particular audio format is present in a folder?

If a folder only contains files of the same audio format does the problem still occur?

Are folders containing just MP3 or WAV okay?

Can you paste the contents of the dMC Configuration here?

If you launch Start Menu --> All Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp/dMC Configuration there should be a button to copy everything to the clipboard.

crymeariver
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Does the locking occur when a particular audio format is present in a folder?

yes, mp3, wav and wma

If a folder only contains files of the same audio format does the problem still occur?

Yes

Are folders containing just MP3 or WAV okay?

No, they are locked

Can you paste the contents of the dMC Configuration here?

If you launch Start Menu --> All Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp/dMC Configuration there should be a button to copy everything to the clipboard.

There is no button but I have copied this using hypersnap. Unfortunately you can't see the beyond the scroll so I've got three pictures. I've tried insering the pictures but it doesn't let me browse for the image. Copy & paste doesn't work.

Christine

crymeariver
08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13091

Start Menu --> All Programs --> dBpoweramp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dBpoweramp/dMC Configuration

Thanks Bill. I know how to find it, I just don't understand how to use it to solve my problem.

Christine

LtData
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM
What version of dMC are you using, crymeariver?

crymeariver
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
What version of dMC are you using, crymeariver?

I am using version 6.0.0.2 but the dMC Configuration says Release 11.

I just tried upgrading Windows Media Player from V9 to the newest V11 in the hope that this might fix the problem, but it hasn't. Short of re-installing Windows (which I can't do myself) I don't know what else to do as this problem seems to have everyone I ask stumped.

crymeariver

xoas
08-18-2007, 06:40 PM
What codecs does your dBpowerAMP Music Configuration show as being installed for encoding and for decoding? Can you rip audio OK from CD? Can you manage to convert audio from one format to another? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the codecs you installed 3 months ago? Are you sure that those most recently installed codecs came from Legacy Codec Central (which you can find here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy/codec-central-legacy.htm) rather than from the regular Codec Central tab at the top of the page?

Best wishes,
Bill

Wayne
08-19-2007, 04:54 AM
When you launch the dMC Configuration program just above the OK button is another button that copies the Configuration to Clipboard. Once you have copied it to the clipboard paste it on to this thread.

Wayne