PDA

View Full Version : Serious problems with gapless output with dBpoweramp/Lame encoder

Ekstasis
07-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I have been getting some very worrying results from some cd rips with dBpoweramp, this is very serious, I do not get gapless output on some of the cds when I rip with dBpoweramp, I get no click sounds when I rip with EAC in between the tracks. this does only affect mp3 in dBpoweramp, since WAV is not affected by this problem.I have been trying with two different drives, with both EAC and dBpoweramp, both produce identical CRC's, however the mp3 output seams to differ a bit.
I have had this problem in the past with lame 3.97b2, but I cannot remember i have had it since 3.97 lame was out, maybe by mere accident ?

The music player I use is Xmplay, which support pure gapless output,
Here in this 15 second long sequence you can hear what it sounds like, notice a big "glitch" between track 1&2 at 0:10

http://www.mediafire.com/?99fuedxybnj

-

http://www.mediafire.com/?ad0dt2yrrrw (20 mb winrar)

Hear you can download both songs in it's entirety, to study wave forms etc.
Notice, I hear no click sounds on neither the cd itself, or on the wav files which both dBpoweramp/EAC produce. So the conclusion must be that it is the lame encoder that is the source of the problem (or xmplay)

The compression settings I use with EAC is

Lame 3.97 FINAL

"User defined encoder"
"-V2 --vbr-new %s %d"
"High quality"

In dBpoweramp I use the same - V2 "standard" (slow high quality)

Please look into this problem, cause this must simply be solved...

The drivers I use is plextor 708a (with fua in dBpoweramp) and Lite on SHM-165H65 (no cache)
And I use dBpowermap 12.1

Spoon
07-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Rip in both programs to wave, then use the [calculate crc] utility codec to check they are identical.

Then encode to Lame, encode eacs wav file, you can also install the CLI encoder to use any version of lame you like.

Ekstasis
07-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Rip in both programs to wave, then use the [calculate crc] utility codec to check they are identical.

Then encode to Lame, encode eacs wav file, you can also install the CLI encoder to use any version of lame you like.

Hello Spoon I did what you told me to do,

The read CRC is identical from EAC and dBpoweramp

Track 1: 3D59C763
Track 2: 93CDCA0A

I did then encode these files through Lame 3.97 FINAL (rareware compile) through all2lame GUI. Command Line "--preset fast standard"

This Lame compile produce flawless/gapless files unlike the Lame compile in dBpoweramp. So something must be wrong with your modified lame Compile. I see very serious on this, and I'm lucky I have not ripped many mp3 rips with this Lame compile. And about the CLI, I want to use it like I do now without CLI.

This must be solved as soon as possible, especially since I have convinced all my friends to use this program and are ripping with the internal Lame encoder.
It will be hard for me to explain all this for them. Why I might not have noticed this earlier is cause I rip a lot of rock/metal music also, where tracks not glue together as often..as for instance Ambient music.

Some gapless programs/plugins will probably delete this clicking/noise in between the track, I know for instance Winamp do so, while Xmplay just play 100% as the source to secure the authenticy, without removing unwanted digital jitter etc.

If you can locate/verify the problems, will there be an update any time soon or a patch ?

If you want to know what cd it is, send me a pm and you can use it as a

And can someone please tell me, just in short how to use this "CLI"
And if there is anything more I can do to solve this problem please let me know...

Thanks

Spoon
07-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Have you considered it is a bug in XMPlay? foobar 2000 and dbpoweramp will both decode those files as gapless.

We write album art to the front of a mp3 file, it could be if there is a large tag xmplay will not play correctly, there could be 1000's of reasons, rather than the line dbpoweramp is broken.

Ekstasis
07-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Have you considered it is a bug in XMPlay? foobar 2000 and dbpoweramp will both decode those files as gapless.

We write album art to the front of a mp3 file, it could be if there is a large tag xmplay will not play correctly, there could be 1000's of reasons, rather than the line dbpoweramp is broken.

Yes of course Spoon, that's why I did include the files itself, so you could analyze audio wave form etc, I have still hard to understand why the gapless is not "working" on the eac/Lame 3.97 rip and the dBpoweramp rip, it must be any cause for this...

Ekstasis
07-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Alright we can all relax now, the "problem" is solved, to increase the buffer size in Xmplay did solve the problem...now I will keep on using dBpoweramp Reference as usual :)