PDA

View Full Version : Music Converter zaps my computer!

dnk316
06-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Did not have this problem with unregistered older version. Upgraded to latest version and registered. Now ....

When I try to convert a file (like from wav to mp3), when it is close to the end of the conversion process -- suddenly, dead. Not the software. The computer! No blue screen of death, no fizzle or fade. The screen just instantly goes black, computer off. Must unplug and wait a few minutes before it will restart.

This happens every time if I select multiple files in a folder to convert. It happens sporatically (like every 3rd time) when I select only 1 file to convert.

No other codecs installed. Win XP Home SP2. Use Feurio for CD burning, Exact Audio Copy for capture. AnyDVD and CloneDVD for DVD.

Ideas?

LtData
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Does it matter what format you convert to or from? Your saying your computer just turns off? The only thing I know of that would cause the computer to turn off like like is overheating. Does your computer do this when you game or encode DVDs?

dnk316
06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I have not experienced this before. I have not tried any other conversions yet. I have not installed any other codecs yet. Figured I better solve this problem first.

Any known compatibility problems with any of the software I mentioned? Any known issues with any other software?

If it only happens with this software, I don't think it would be an over heating problem.

LtData
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know of any incompatibilities between dMC and other software, other than some problems with right-click menus not showing up.

An easy way to check to see if the problem is overheating is, when your computer locks up as you described, open your case and put your finger on your CPU. If you are nearly burned, your CPU is overheating.

Out of curiosity, what CPU is your computer using?

If you pick "Test Conversion" as your codec, does your computer still lock up? If no, do other conversions, such as WAV to WAV work?

What version of Windows are you using?

dnk316
06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
AMD 2400 several years old. Never had any problems. But just moved. Maybe things got shaken loose during the move. I'll take it apart and check.

Windows XP Home with SP2.

I'll try other conversions and the test. Probably not tonight, as it is getting late.

Thanks for your advice.

Spoon
06-13-2007, 04:09 AM
Try running other programs which test your system to the limit, one is called prime95