PDA

View Full Version : Can encoding speed be changed?

jack_frost
06-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Is there any way (or need) to select a lower encoding/conversion speed with dbPowerAmp music converter (release 12)? I am technically ignorant about these things, but I have always believed that lower encoding speeds give a higher quality result. When I convert files (generally .aa to .wav) using dbPowerAmp the encoding speed is shown to be around 150 x. This seems to be extremely fast to me. When I convert from .wav to .mp3 using Nero, the speed varies between 16x and 48x. While I don't want to complain about quick conversions, I am concerned that the resulting quality might be compromised. My concern is mainly because the quality of converted .aa files is often not as good as I would like, and I am wondering if this is because of the conversion speed within dbPowerAmp.

When I convert I always select "as source" wherever listed, but I can't see anywhere that I can change the encoding speed.

I am using Windows XP home SP2, Athlon 1.6 Gb, Soundblaster Audigy 5.12.1.512, dbPowerAmp release 12, Nero 6 plus mp3 add-in, LG DVD Burner HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N

Spoon
06-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Converting allready ripped audio files at any speed have no effect on audio quality.

bhoar
06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Encoding speed isn't a "setting". Rather it is a byproduct of several different things:

1. The programmatic and/or algorithmic complexity of the encoder being used.
2. The ability of the compiler to optimize the compiled code.
3. The hardware it runs on.
4. The music being encoded.
5. The settings the user chose for that encoder (e.g. lame's bitrate, vbr vs. cbr, etc. - on some encoders you might simply get a quality setting/slider)

For a particular encoder executable, items 1 & 2 will always remain the same. If running on you own machine, *3 will remain the same. In your testing, you can probably hold *4 the same.

So with *5, you can experiment with settings.

I've found that the settings for *5 that equate with "higher quality" tend to encode slower. This is probably due to the "higher quality" settings using some of the more complex encoding techniques which, of course, is a drag on performance since more work needs to be done per track.

If the output doesn't sound good, change the encoder settings to increase the quality. You'll probably see the encode speed decrease as a side effect.

-brendan