PDA

View Full Version : Unable To Get Compression of Files

bob1941
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
I installed the dbpowerAMP Music Converter to achieve compression of large music files. Yet, all I've been able to achieve is a 1.9 to 1 compression ratio. That's not nearly enough. All my converted files are 2-5 Mb in size. I've been told by a fellow user of your software that they can get an 11 to 1 ratio compressed below 1 Mb). What am I doing wrong?

Bob

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 08:45 AM
You can achieve very high compression ratio's,unfortunately the nature of encoding is that to achieve smaller file sizes the encoder has to discard more and more data,this obviously degrades sound quality. Encoding to mp3 of less than 128kbit is only good for portable players maybe low quality headphones.

If you really do want file sizes of less than 1 meg then prepare for poor sounding music.

bob1941
11-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your reply. I understand there is a trade off between compression and quality of sound. My problem is I cannot get my dbpowerAMP to compress lower thna about 2 to 1. If someone can tell me how to get the greater compressions, I'd be grateful. Then I could determine how much sound quality I'm willing to sacrifice for smaller files. From the gitgo I also know few of us have computer sound systems that really do justice to good music anyway. Appreciate any help I can get out there. Thanks.

Bob

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 04:14 PM
What are you converting from/to each codec has a different way of setting the bitrates/quality, to convert using Lame use the advanced option , Blade use the slide bar etc

bob1941
11-25-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to convert songs from a CD to compressed .wav computer files so I can upload to a web site. The web site I need to upload to can only handle .wav music files and those files must be very compressed to fit into the web site file cabinet space. I have been successful converting to very small mp3 Lame and asx music files, but the web site cannot handle them.

I've also tried converting songs from my Windows Media Player (WMA) library to compressed .wav files.

In both cases, I have not been able to compress the files greater than 2 to 1. I know it can be done because MusicByMail.com uses the dbpowerAMP to do exactly what I want it to do - but can't do.

If I knew the step-by-step procedure to follow I could compare it with what I've been doing and perhaps determine what I'm doing wrong - or what steps I've been leaving out. I am beginning to run out of patience with the software, but I want to be sure I'm not the problem before I go to another software.

Spoon
11-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Wave files tend to be much bigger than mp3s or wma, but it is possible to mp3-encode a wave file. Select Convert To >> Wave, then 'Compression Settings' and select Mpeg Layer 3, or such, if it is not there you need to install Windows Media Player.

bob1941
11-26-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Spoon. I've done that (I have WMP installed), but I must still be missing something. The Green Slide Bar doesn't appear for me to set when I'm converting to wave. It does when I'm converting to mp3 or Lame. Unfortunately, I need small wave files. Any ideas on what I may be doing incorrectly? A satisfied user of your software at Musicbymail.com gets her wave files down to less than 1 Mb. So I know it's possible. She called your software "the best".

Spoon
11-27-2002, 12:36 PM
The file you need is l3codeca.acm in your windows system directory, it is certain microsoft programs that install it.

bob1941
11-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Uh oh, Spoon. I couldn't find that file anywhere. Now what? Any suggestions? Perhaps that's my problem.

Bob

Spoon
11-28-2002, 03:55 AM
You could try taking it off another computer with the same Windows Version, depending upon the windows version you have you might have to tell windows it is there - again different for each windows version.