PDA

View Full Version : freedb vs amg

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
With both freedb and amg selected under meta (which I believe is the default setting), on one cd I inserted, no information was picked up, except for tempo on each track(allegro etc.).

However, when I deselected amg and left freedb selected,
I picked up complete track information (albeit in German). Shouldn't dbpoweramp have picked up freedb information if amg had almost no information? perhaps it's not easy to determine which is more complete.

***Moreover, WMP 11, which also uses AMG, picks up much more information than dbpoweramp when using AMG -- such as the artist, which is blank for dbpoweramp. The cd in question is cddb id: 850BA809 (Bach, String Concertos, Camerata Labacencis).

Is there any other service to use besides amg and freedb? It seems they have little information on many of my classical cd's--and I don't want to have to switch to pop music . . .

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Is there anyway for dbpoweramp to get the information from amg via wmp? That would be more complete in this case, and also perhaps avoid paying a double subscription fee? Probably ruled out by amg agreement, but just checking.

Spoon
06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
WMP does not use AMG direct, Microsoft have their own databases (of which AMG is one).

If there are blank entries, select the Meta Menu >> Retrieve from and choose freedb.

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
WMP does not use AMG direct, Microsoft have their own databases (of which AMG is one).

If there are blank entries, select the Meta Menu >> Retrieve from and choose freedb.

Thanks, that works, except for the language issue (tracks in German). I also see now that WMP uses more than AMG.

I assume that it's not possible to call wmp and get the info from there, or export the track info from wmp and import to dbamppro, at least not without ripping it in wmp pro. I wonder if there's any way to do that, from wmp (or the wm encoder?)--but it would probably a violation of something in the EULA.

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
ps. actually the track information from wmp on this cd happens to wrong, though more detailed, so it's just as well. Whoever was the German who submitted the info to freedb did a wonderful work--wunderbar.

Teknojnky
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
if your familiar with musicbrainz, you can use musicbrainz metadata instead of freedb metadata via the MB freedb gateway (http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/FreeDBGateway) by entering the information in the freedb config of the program.

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 02:52 PM
if your familiar with musicbrainz, you can use musicbrainz metadata instead of freedb metadata via the MB freedb gateway (http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/FreeDBGateway) by entering the information in the freedb config of the program.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with it, but I'll give it a try.

Teknojnky
06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
The best things about musicbrainz is the relative consistency of metadata (spelling/case/format etc) and the fact that anyone who registers can submit new disc id's/releases and updates to existing data (most changes are voted before becoming permanent).

So if a disc is not in MB, you can relatively easily add it yourself.

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Sorry, but there is one significant issue with musicbrainz, so I switched back to freedb. Despite the claim on their website, that they fallback to freedb if not found on the musicbrainz db, I discovered some CDs in which they simply send no information, even though freedb has the correct information (well in German anyway, I had to manually retrieve from AMG to get Weihnachtsoratorium to become Christmas Oratorio etc.)

I mean, assuming I configured it correctly, using
host freedb.musicbrainz.org
(I didn't see a place to change the path to:
path /~cddb/cddb.cgi
but that's prob not needed or is the default anyway.)

The best things about musicbrainz is the relative consistency of metadata (spelling/case/format etc) and the fact that anyone who registers can submit new disc id's/releases and updates to existing data (most changes are voted before becoming permanent).

So if a disc is not in MB, you can relatively easily add it yourself.

TechVsLife
06-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, once again that German fellow in freedb got it right, and the AMG guy mixed up the tracks. I guess I'll stick with the German fellow. (Anyway, Jauchzet Frohlocket sounds better than Triumph, Rejoicing.)

p.s. some painful typos in the UI, including "retrive from" in Meta drop down.