PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility of WMA files

Slimbo
03-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Greetings All,

I am wondering if somebody out there can assist.

I have just bought DbPowerAmp r1.2 Reference. I use XPPro.

WMA is my preferred method of compression and I want to convert my entire CD collection to WMA, with the highest quality and maximum compatibility with non-computer playback equipment.

However, I have discovered that files ripped from CD in DbPowerAmp to the highest WMA bitrate ("Quality 98" / 220 kbps) are *not* backwardly compatible with, and will not play on my domestic DVD players (for example), but those converted to next quality down ("Quality 90" / 154 kbps) work just fine. Both bitrates play OK on my computer.

I experimented and ripped tracks from CD using the WMA codec v9.1 in Windows Media Player to the highest quality available (192 kbps). These too play fine on my DVD players. But DbPowerAmp r1.2 doesn't seem to offer this bitrate as an option - it would fall somewhere between "Quality 90" and "Quality 98".

My questions are if anyone else has experienced this problem or if I am missing or misunderstanding something. My concern with non-PC compatibility is because I intend to buy a standalone HD music/video jukebox and plug into my stereo and TV. I have 600 odd CDs and I only want to do this once!

Finally, a small question. While playing around with Windows Media Player, I note that it resolutely fails to recognise the CDPlayer.ini file when a CD is inserted. Is this file DbPowerAmp-specific? I don't think it is, but I'm not sure (not that I intend to use it, mind you!)

Any help is much appreciated. Apologies if this has been raised before, but I haven't found it anywhere in the Support Forum.

Cheers,

Slimbo

LtData
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I believe the CDPlayer.ini file is just for the Windows CD player, which is not in Windows XP, and dMC. Also, dMC r12 uses a new cache file that will also store the album art.

As for compatibility, many players that support file types such as mp3 or wma have a maximum bitrate they will support. I remember this was the case with my Rio Karma, which would not play files over 192kbps.

Also, did you select VBR or CBR?

Spoon
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Not many programs use cdplayer.ini these days.

Slimbo
03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input. I now realise two things:

1) If I check the "2 Pass encoding" (VBR) the bitrate comes up in the Settings text box. I have to say that this this more helpful than "Quality [nn]" which doesn't give a sense of the sound quality to be expected. Selecting 192 kbps results in a brilliant sounding file, that plays on my DVD players. The downside is the time it takes - perhaps ripping to WAV and doing a bulk conversion is the way forward.

2) Setting the Bitrate radio button to "CBR" brings up the more familiar (to me) bitrate options. File conversion in the Windows Media Player is plainly CBR - all is explained!

After all the effort of downloading, editing and creating my CDPlayer.ini file, I'm just glad DBPowerAmp still supports it!

Thanks again for your help.

Slimbo