PDA

View Full Version : CD Ripper getting my drive stuck in PIO mode

robx46
02-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I've been using the Ripper and Music Converter for only a week or two. Before that, I have never had my drive get stuck in PIO mode using any ripping program.
Now, it has already happened a few times. After ripping a couple CDs in secure mode is when I usually get stuck in PIO mode. I know that scratched CDs causing slow ripping speed can cause this problem. But like I said, it has never happened to me before using this program.

And it is hard to fix. Maybe there is an easier fix out there, if anybody knows a better way...
But for now, I go into the registry and then find and delete some things, then I need to do a reboot.
I simply can't keep doing that every time I rip a couple CDs.

Still, aside from this issue and one other issue (see my "false inaccurate readings" thread), I do really like the program. I will really like it when I can sort these things out. Since I have only been using the program a short time, I do want to give it a chance and try to work around these issues and learn a bit more.
But this whole "getting stuck in PIO" mode thing is the bigger issue. I'm assuming there is a way to fix it or an easier way to switch back to DMA.

Btw, I have 2 Lite-On drives that this has happened to. I just bought a new one because I thought my first drive was the issue, but when it happened to the brand new one after a couple rips, I knew the issue was somewhere else and discovered this whole PIO mode issue.
Also, the drive is on the Primary IDE Channel. Although my device manager says that I have a secondary channel, I think I only have that one hookup on my mobo. I have a SATA hard drive, which is why I have that primary IDE drive open.
Not sure if that stuff has anything to do with this PIO issue, but I figured I would mention it.

Any advice? Thanks.

Spoon
02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
It is a bug in Windows, if a program ask the drive to rip a small section and the drive takes longer than windows thinks it should, windows will put it into PIO mode.

Now obviously a secure ripper which is trying 100x more to recover a track is 100x more likely to go into PIO mode, how it is. No way to fix it.

bhoar
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Rob:

Yes, the only way to fix this is to remove items (drives, ide controller) from the device manager and reboot to recognize them fresh. Later service packs of win xp supposedly reduced the sensitivity of this bug* in windows, which is triggered by attempts to read or re-read clusters of bad-sectors, so if you're not up to date, getting up to date can help somewhat.

Alternately, using a USB or Firewire enclosure to insulate your optical drive bypasses the windows bug, but may lead to other issues. Some USB chipsets also seems sensitive to failing with bad CDs as well (in a different way), so I always recommend Firewire. Or, if you have a SATA drive, that should avoid the problem as well.

-brendan

* well actually, microsoft meant it as a feature: it was supposed to help

Spoon
02-26-2007, 07:04 AM
It remains to be seen how vista handles it.

bhoar
02-26-2007, 07:53 AM
* well actually, microsoft meant it as a feature: it was supposed to help...

Whoops, guess I got interrupted and forgot to finish that:

...supposed to help when a system was experiencing bad IDE transactions, possibly because of a low-quality IDE cable or similarly unreliable hardware.

-brendan