PDA

View Full Version : What requires firewall permission for AMG downloading?

Agharta
02-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm wondering what I need to give permission to so that the CD ripper can access AMG?

I've tried giving full permission to CDGrab.exe, but I still can't get AMG downloads to work. Well, not unless I turn off my firewall completely, but that isn't an option.

Are there some secondary applications, or Windows services that I also need to give access to in order to get AMG to work?

FreeDB access works fine, it seems that my firewall gives permission already.

Agharta
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM
I just tried and can't even get AMG downloads to work through the Windows Firewall (Vista Home Premium)

Wayne
02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Are you running any software that blocks access to certain URLs? Have you tried to see if you visit AMG's site?

When I first installed v12 I had to give CDGrab.exe access permission but once I had it was able to communicate totally.

Agharta
02-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Are you running any software that blocks access to certain URLs? Have you tried to see if you visit AMG's site?

When I first installed v12 I had to give CDGrab.exe access permission but once I had it was able to communicate totally.
I can't think of anything other than my firewall, Kaspersky Internet Security.

I have given CDGrab.exe permission to send and receive to anything, but that still won't work. My only option is to temporarily disable my firewall, which I don't like doing.

I can access www.allmusic.com fine using Internet Explorer.

I didn't have a subscription to AMG when I used dBpowerAMP on Windows XP, so I don't know if I had the same problem then.

This is just very frustrating, I want to get ripping, but instead I'm stuck trying to figure out how to use my subscription :-|

LtData
02-04-2007, 09:34 AM
The problem must be Kaspersky in some way. I believe this firewall has caused other problems in the past with other users. However, I have never personally used this product so I am unsure of exactly how to proceed.

Also, you mention using the Windows Firewall. Does this mean that you are using two firewalls on one system? If you are, this is highly recommended to NOT do. If you disable Kaspersky, however, the Windows Firewall will protect you in the short amount of time dMC needs to get the meta-data. This could function as a workaround, but I realize it is not a permanent solution.

Does Kaspersky have some "security" features relating to programs accessing the Internet? Such as script protection, worm protection, etc?

Agharta
02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Also, you mention using the Windows Firewall. Does this mean that you are using two firewalls on one system? If you are, this is highly recommended to NOT do. If you disable Kaspersky, however, the Windows Firewall will protect you in the short amount of time dMC needs to get the meta-data. This could function as a workaround, but I realize it is not a permanent solution. I turned off Kaspersky Firewall, and turned on Windows Firewall, but it still didn't work. Which leads me to think that it is some other aspect of Kaspersky Internet Security which is blocking it. But I don't know what. I've asked in the Kaspersky forum, but no one has replied.

This is just very frustrating.

Agharta
02-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I just noticed something.

If I turn off the firewall, and antihacker in the control panel, I still don't get AMG downloads.

I only get AMG downloads if I select PAUSE PROTECTION from the sys tray icon, or if I select EXIT.

LtData
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Does Kaspersky provide some kind of scripting protection?

Agharta
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Does Kaspersky provide some kind of scripting protection?
Thanks for your help. I have found a solution on the Kaspersky forum.

For whatever reason (I still don't understand!) CDGrab.exe needs to be added as a Trusted Application, by adding it to the Trusted Zone. Kaspersky needs to be told not to scan any network traffic for CDGrab.exe.

This screen capture may help others trying to get AMG downloads to work through the Kaspersky Firewall:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1041/capturewj5.jpg

LtData
02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm glad you managed to solve your problem. Thanks for showing others how to do it too!

Agharta
02-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm glad you managed to solve your problem. Thanks for showing others how to do it too!
I'm glad I could help, it was sure frustrating!

But, yeah, I have another problem. (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=59223*post59223)