PDA

View Full Version : MP3Gain vs dMC's DSP Normalize Effect (Help!)

BRmusicoolohic
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
:cool: To the brain trust,

First of a little background info... :yawn:

I've been converting wmas to mp3s and once that's done I usually run MP3Gain to level all files to a target "Normal" volume of 100.0 dB (MP3Gain default is 89.0 but that setting is too low for me). :D

Currently these are two separate processes (which it's ok for a few files but very time-consuming when I have many files).

:confused: I was wondering if I can achieve the same result in one shot while converting my files using the music converter and adding the volume normalize effect (with a 100.0 dB setting) ?

Also... any primer on DSP Effects anywhere (i.e. what's the difference between simple, adaptive & fixed normalization)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deano
01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I think you are missing the point of doing mp3gain on your files.

mp3Gain doesn't "normalise" in the way you are thinking. mp3Gain does indeed make all your files sound the same volume level, but using a value of 89db allows your files to avoid clipping as well. You should not be messing with the volume setting, especially not setting it to 100db! I would make a sound bet that by doing this you are forcibly making all your songs clip because of the intense increase in volume.

Using normalisation from dBpowerAMP will not give you the same effect as mp3Gain.

Have a read of the mp3Gain FAQ (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php), it answers all of these questions, probably better than I have.

xoas
01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
You can use dMC's Volume Normalize DSP as you suggest (applying it while ripping or converting to mp3). This does result in being able to convert and normalize in one step. You should be able to use the Volume Normalization set to Simple Normalization at (or close to) 100 dB without having to worry about clipping (the known exception to this is if you are broadcasting these files).

There are a few drawbacks to wht you propose:
You will find that ripping and applying the DSP will take longer than ripping without adding any DSP.
The effects of the volume normalization DSP in dMC cannot be undone if you are dissatisfied with the results (as you can with Mp3Gain), so you might want to hold onto your source files until you are sure that you are satisfied with the results of the DSP.
And because this DSP reduces the dynamic range of each audio file as a whole (some files more so than others), you are making this a sort of permanent alteration to your audio files.

So you can do as you propose (which may be quicker, easier, and perfectly satisfactory); continue to do as you have been (using Mp3Gain as a separate operation which can be undone and which may give somewhat better results, but does take more time); or find a way of applying a volume normalization function for the playing (not the converting or storage) of your audio files. The best known tool for this is ReplayGain (not yet supported by dMC but Spoon is working to incorporate it into dMC 12) but dBpowerAMP Audio Player (or dAP) also has an auto volume boost feature. The dAP auto volume boost only works when you play files through dAP and each file must be played all the way through before the boost is applied. ReplayGain is only effective with an audio player that can utilize it.

Hope this hel[ps.

Best wishes,
Bill