PDA

View Full Version : iTunes file to mp3 conversion help

cerviv
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
OK - I've read many post and I am not finding the exact instructions I think I need.

I am trying to convert purchased songs (M4P) from iTunes (7.0.2.16) to MP3.

I have used QTFairuse to convert the M4P to a M4A file.

Now trying to use dBpowerAMP, but I do not see the converted file in the Windows Explorer box (nor do I see the option M4A).

I have downloaded the Codecs and even went through the Nero download.

Do I need to use Nero to do something first? The Nero online instruction does not reference M4A. The Illustrate help page (C:\Documents and Settings\Jay Stone\My Documents\My Music\dBpowerAMP\Help\Codec\mp4\help.htm) says this Nero codec allows dBpowerAMP to convert. Also, the image of Nero at the bottom I have not seen. Should I be able to open a .exe file for Nero and get a Windows based software? Or do I use the Command Line? This is my confusion.

Any help is appreciated. The good thing is I do not have an exact reason to convert. But many devices use mp3, so just incase.

OS - XP Media Edition
Virus Prot - McAfee (only mention as I have had issues before on other software

LtData
12-13-2006, 07:06 AM
The Nero .exe's are all command-line.

You installed dMC and the Nero codec while logged into an account with administrator rights, correct? And you don't see a "Nero Digital Audio (AAC)" in the drop down list? That is the m4a/mp4 codec name.

cerviv
12-13-2006, 10:57 PM
LtData,

Thank you for the quick response. Excuse my absence, as I have been Xmas shopping with the family.

I did install Codec while having Admninstrator Rights. This is my home PC. Each family member has Admin rights, but we are always logged in as me. However I do not see the "ACC" in the drop down.

I do see the following in the Program Add/Remove List (neither list file size, I am not sure if XP only labels larger files);
1)dBpowerAMP AAC to Mp4 Codec
2)dBpowerAMP Mp4 Codec

Does this look correct?

LtData
12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
The dBpowerAMP MP4 Codec is what it shows up for me as too. You don't see "Nero Digital Audio" in the drop-down list? You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the mp4 codec.

Also, could you go to dMC Configuration (Start Menu --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) and paste your configuration here? Also, please use [code] tags to help improve readability.

cerviv
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
LtData,
I apologize, but I do not know what you mean by code [tags]

I went ahead and delete all programs and while installing the Mp4 Codec, I get the following message.

Error whilst running 'C:\Documents and Setting\Jay Stone\My Documents\My Music\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe'

It gives me a button to click "ok". Upon dueing so, it say's Installation is now complete. Then at the bottom is a "Finish" button.

I received this message before, but I forgot about it.

Thx

Jay

LtData
12-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Did you install dMC to that location? Did you install the codec to that location?

Never mind about the [code] tags, I will just add them afterwards. Could you put the dMC Configuration clipboard dump here?

cerviv
12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes both to the same file.

Here is the Configuration Clipboard

Version Information
dBpowerAMP Music Converter: Release 11.5
Power Pack & Mp3 License: [ Registered: No 27 Days Trial Remaining ]
dBpowerAMP Audio Player: Not Installed 'music Player like no other'
dBpowerAMP CD Writer: Not Installed 'easy way to burn audio cds'
Sveta Portable Audio: Not Installed 'enhance your portable player'

Contact Information
Web Site: http://www.dbpoweramp.com
Support: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/support.htm
Support Forum: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com
Codec Central: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm
Add extra [en/de]coding abilities such as m4a, wma, etc.

Smart Install Codecs
Windows Media Audio: .wma
Ogg Vorbis: .ogg
Musepack: .mpc
Mp4 (AAC): .mp4
Flac: .flac
Monkeys Audio: .ape
OptimFROG: .ofr
Shorten: .shn
WavPack: .wv
Advanced Audio Compression: .aac

===Shell Integration===
Convert To (right click): On
Edit Tag (right click): On
Popup information Tips: On
Explorer ID Tag Property Page: On
Explorer Columns: On

===Codecs===
Installed Compression Codecs (Write)
Mp3 (Lame): Lame Version 3.96.1 [ .mp3 ]
Test Conversion (No Write)
Wave: [ .wav ]

Installed Input Codecs (Read)
Auxiliary Input Decoder: .aux
CD Input Decoder: .cda
Mp3 Input Decoder: .mp3; .mp2; .mpga; .mpa; .mpx; .mpg; .mp1
Wave Input Decoder: .wav

===Options===
dBpowerAMP Reference Options
Pro. Frequency Conversion: Off (faster but less quality)

Mp3 Input Decoder
CRC Errors: Ignore
Decode To: 16 bit (dithered)

Wave Compression Codec
More than 16 bit or 2 Channels: Write WaveFormatEx Header

===ID Tag Options===
Mp3
Tag Creation: ID3v2
Write ID3v1 Version: v1.1
ID3v1 UTF8 Read: Yes
ID3v1 UTF8 Write: No
Write ID3v2 Unicode: No
Write ID3v2 Version: v2.3

ChristinaS
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
C:\Documents and Setting\Jay Stone\My Documents\My Music\dBpowerAMP\MusicConverter.exe

That's an odd place to install a program. That should be your folder for music files rather than programs.

When installing it proposes c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP and you are strongly advised to accept that.

You may of course install anywhere, as long as you install all other dB components to that same exact location. You will run into trouble if you install all over the place.

LtData
12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
dMC Configuration does not show the m4a/mp4 codec as installed. Did you install the codec to the same location as dMC is installed to?

cerviv
12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
ChristinaS and LtData,

I went ahead and re-deleted all programs and realized there was a couple folders left without files (one named dBpowerAMP and one named Compression). I must have loaded the file into one of these previously. I deleted the folders and reloaded everything back under Program Files and this time the .m4a was found and I was able to convert.

I assume I will be purchasing the Power Pack + Mp3 Encoder License soon.

Sorry for having such a trivial problem.

Thank you so much.

Jay

ChristinaS
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
OK, I think maybe you should still first do a total uninstall (see my signature for instructions) and then a fresh download and install of all programs, even if now all seems to be OK. At least keep this option in mind in case you experience other weird phenomena.