PDA

View Full Version : Fix - For Missing Volume Control

Craze
10-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Here's the fix for a suddenly missing Volume Control I suspect occurred when Windows '98 froze during the process of updating new skin changes into my dAP player.

The "X" and "Y" coordinates that position the volume control window from last opening got trashed in the registry.

START>RUN...type REGEDIT...click OK.

Expand tree for HKEY_CURRENT_ USER
Click Software
Use "EDIT" tab in tool bar...select FIND...type in VOLUME.
Click FIND NEXT.
Browse through registry until VOLUME CONTROL is found using F3 key to scroll with.

Click on VOLUME CONTROL...X and Y should appear in top lines of the right pane window.
Click on X.
Right click X
Select Modify
Type in the number 5
Click "DECIMAL" radio button
Repeat for "Y".

The values my X and Y had changed to from the freeze up were (3000)!

These things happen.

Crazy Curt

Unregistered
12-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Hey can anyone help? I deleted outlook express by accident now my volume control will not open and the icon is missing from the taskbar can anyone help with this matter I am going crazy with no sound on my computer.

Spoon
12-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Sounds like your sound card has uninstalled rom Device Manager.

ANNA
02-01-2004, 04:52 AM
I cannot open my volume control. I have Windows ME. I tried what Craze said but it doesn't work. Is that because it was for windows '98? Can you please help me? I have been trying for days to figure this out. My e-mail is gorseam@aol.com. I would really appreciate the help.

Unregistered
02-07-2004, 10:15 AM
i have the same problem and still tryn to figure it out. try going to control panel/ sounds, speech, and audio device/ sound and audio devices properties. in there go to volume and there is a box that says "Place volume icon in the task bar", click on it and it should work. the problem i have is when i click on it, i get a error measage that says i have to install the "Volume Control" program and i dont know how to install it.

Razgo
02-07-2004, 10:58 AM
i only came across this when i did a fresh install of win98se. once i installed the audio drivers for my sound card it all came back.

have you installed drivers for your sound card?

Unregistered
02-23-2004, 04:44 AM
i have the same problem and still tryn to figure it out. try going to control panel/ sounds, speech, and audio device/ sound and audio devices properties. in there go to volume and there is a box that says "Place volume icon in the task bar", click on it and it should work. the problem i have is when i click on it, i get a error measage that says i have to install the "Volume Control" program and i dont know how to install it.

I am going through the exact same thing!! PLEASE help...this is driving me crazy!!!

Excuse my technological retardation, but how do I install these drivers you speak of, Razgo? At this point I will try ANYTHING! I have Windows XP by the way...

Razgo
02-24-2004, 07:44 PM
ok, anyone here with xp that can help?

Unregistered
02-26-2004, 07:18 AM
ok, anyone here with xp that can help?

Pleeeeeease?????

I've tried everything I can think of...which admitedly probably isn't much, but...

Unregistered
03-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I followed the instructions below and did fine but after changing the values to "5" for x and y I have no radio button to click. What to do now?

Here's the fix for a suddenly missing Volume Control I suspect occurred when Windows '98 froze during the process of updating new skin changes into my dAP player.

The "X" and "Y" coordinates that position the volume control window from last opening got trashed in the registry.

Click Software
Click FIND NEXT.
Browse through registry until VOLUME CONTROL is found using F3 key to scroll with.

Click on VOLUME CONTROL...X and Y should appear in top lines of the right pane window.
Click on X.
Right click X
Select Modify
Type in the number 5
Repeat for "Y".

These things happen.

Crazy Curt

Unregistered
03-25-2004, 06:41 AM
I tried the above. No luck at all.

Question: If I did a full system restore, would I lose everything I've saved to my drive?

Unregistered
03-31-2004, 06:07 AM
thank you SO, SO much. i had the same problem with windows XP and that fix worked for me. :)

Unregistered
04-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Copied Verbatim from http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5245.htm

--------------------------------SNIP---------------------------------
Top 20 Viewed Articles
1 How can I uninstall the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from Windows XP?
2 What You Need to Know About Windows Update Services
3 Enterprise Patch Management for Windows
4 Honeypots for Windows
5 Windows XP SP2 Will Bring Tablet PC Improvements
More Top Viewed Articles
John Savill
InstantDoc *39410
John Savill's FAQ for Windows

A. To display the volume icon in the taskbar notification area, you must select the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" check box in Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices applet. If, when you try to select this check box, you receive the error

Error
Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

you need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session.
2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

Similar answer found here:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5245.htm

Unregistered
04-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Post number 13 fixed it for me and I run WinXP Pro. Thanks for the help!

Unregistered
04-18-2004, 02:50 PM
I found a link that has all the info on sound cards...

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/g.html

Unregistered
04-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Crazy Curt thanks alot this worked for me for XP

Unregistered
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM

Unregistered
05-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks, worked great. My hard drive crashed but the new XP installtion didn't give me my task bar contols. I had some trouble finding the check box as I am using a "classic view." But when I found it it worked great. To others keep looking it is there someplace.

William Black
05-26-2004, 12:32 AM
I am running windows xp pro... I keep getting this message;
Regit;
run-time error'53':
file not found
thanks for any help on this issue.
William Black billblack1@bellsouth.net

hawk
06-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Just want thank crazy curt for his solution to the volume control problem. Used his x y solution and it worked like a charm. One lucky thing for me is that I had my registry backed up. Because in the original registry there was not volume control to be found. It all came back when I transferred the backup registry. Then I found volume control and used the x y soulution and my volume contol is o.k. now. Thanks again Curt. :thumbup: P.S Very important that you back up registry.

Steve
06-04-2004, 11:55 AM
How exactly would I copy the sndvol32.exe image from my commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

<cd drive>:

cd i386

when I have a burned cd with sndvol32.exe on it?

A. To display the volume icon in the taskbar notification area, you must select the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" check box in Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices applet. If, when you try to select this check box, you receive the error

Error
Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

you need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

<cd drive>:

cd i386

Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Thanx

Please feel free to contact me @ polomasta@optonline.net or polomasta0102@yahoo.com

Unregistered
06-07-2004, 02:28 PM
omg thanks so much! this volume control thing was KILLING me! you guys are amazing.

jc

Unregistered
06-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey can anyone help? I deleted outlook express by accident now my volume control will not open and the icon is missing from the taskbar can anyone help with this matter I am going crazy with no sound on my computer.

Unregistered
06-26-2004, 06:48 AM
i did all the steps and stuff but i still cant get it to work any solution?

Fixed
06-26-2004, 05:43 PM
I had this problem too. I just found Sndvol32.exe in my C drive
C:\i386 (windows files)
and put it in my windows folder....

If that doesn't work follow these microsoft instructions....
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q319095

Also make sure you try this....

Go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. On the Volume Tab under Device Volume, put a check in the box that reads: Place volume icon in the taskbar.

Chaos Chao
07-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Hey Crazy Curt your answer would work if I could find Volume Control. The Registry comes up with things like "b" and data with "Volume Control" but I can't modify it. There were not any X and Y things so it didn't work. Do you know any other way that could help or something else I could search for? Thank you.

Unregistered
07-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Well I found Volume Control but there are no "X" and "Y" files in my right window. Would the volume work if I created X and Y?

This might help: my volume control opened before I pressed "mute" on everything. If there was a way to edit mute options without sound control please tell me! Thx

Craze
07-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Hey Crazy Curt your answer would work if I could find Volume Control. The Registry comes up with things like "b" and data with "Volume Control" but I can't modify it. There were not any X and Y things so it didn't work. Do you know any other way that could help or something else I could search for? Thank you.
I'm using Windows '98. Volume Control is found by expanding tree HKey_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/VolumeControl.

The Volume Control should have the audio device your system uses in one of it's subfolders. Look in that folder for the "X" "Y" values.
If you have no audio device folder, then that might explain why you have no audio. The device is missing or uninstalled.

Hope this helps.
Craze

Unregistered
07-10-2004, 12:10 AM

Click Software
Click FIND NEXT.

Click on X.
Right click X
Select Modify
Type in the number 5
Repeat for "Y".

These things happen.

Crazy Curt

Unregistered
07-10-2004, 12:11 AM
Crazy Curt&*65306;

Thanks So Much!

It works !!

KL

Unregistered
07-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey I just had the same thing go wrong and this fix also worked for me gracias to the geniuses...

Unregistered
07-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Post *13 works fine for me as well.

I have made a couple of clean XP installs and the snd32 file is missing every time (I only install XP, not any vendors extra driver since the sound card is recognized by XP already).

Thanks a lot!

/Fredrik

Unregistered
07-31-2004, 07:49 AM
Sounds like your sound card has uninstalled rom Device Manager.

Unregistered
08-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Copied Verbatim from http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5245.htm

Top 20 Viewed Articles
1 How can I uninstall the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from Windows XP?
2 What You Need to Know About Windows Update Services
3 Enterprise Patch Management for Windows
4 Honeypots for Windows
5 Windows XP SP2 Will Bring Tablet PC Improvements
More Top Viewed Articles
John Savill
InstantDoc *39410
John Savill's FAQ for Windows

Error

<cd drive>:

cd i386

Similar answer found here:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5245.htm

Salvamore(ZA)
08-13-2004, 01:38 AM
this is extreme good work, just navigate by command session, It did not fail me, It won't fail you! Win XP Pro.
Very clever!! Very smart guys -- You can trust them!!

Unregistered
08-14-2004, 12:34 PM
*13 works great for windows XP pro ... takes just a minute ... just be sure to use Dell XP Windows XP CD and not an MS XP update CD (i.e. make sure the CD you are using has the i386 folder.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

PS I SUSPECT UNINSTALLING OUTLOOK EXPRESS DELETES THIS DLL FILE

PSS IT IS NO LONGER RAGING AGAINST THE WIND TO REALIZE THAT MICROSOFT SUCKS. IT IS A FAILING COMPANY. FIGHT .NET! DO NOT INSTALL IT. DO NOT USE IT.

Unregistered
08-16-2004, 08:21 AM
I am going through the exact same thing!! PLEASE help...this is driving me crazy!!!

Excuse my technological retardation, but how do I install these drivers you speak of, Razgo? At this point I will try ANYTHING! I have Windows XP by the way...

I'm having the same problem, i tried doing that x and y thing, but it doesn't solve the problem. Today, I hade the volume icon on my taskbar, and now it's not there. I have the sound, but for some reason i'm unable to bring back the icon. I tried putting it back by going through control panel and i've got the message that my Volume Control program is uninstalled. I don't know how to install it, please help me.
I would really appreciate anyone's help. Thanks in advance.

Unregistered
08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
i do a search for "volume" int he registry and i can't find "volume control." would appreciate some help.

Unregistered
09-07-2004, 08:12 AM
HELP!! I have ME and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the sound back. I tried to reinstall the driver off the sys restore disk and it tells me it can't find it. I also tried to do a system restore and it tells me it can't restore it to a previous point. I dont' know what to do.

Unregistered
09-07-2004, 11:17 AM
this worked perfectly! Thanks!

Craze
09-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Wow. There certainly are a lot of Unregistered's in this post. Doesn't anybody register anymore? Sure helps to distinguish who's who.

Anyway,...
My original post was about the Master Volume Control Panel window disappearing while still having the speaker icon available from the task bar near the clock.

If the icon is missing, then your Audio Device driver is missing or not installed. Or it may be listed as Unknown in the device manager.

If you've exhausted all other means of trying to locate the driver that may not be on Windows or your Hardware disc, and you don't know the vendor who made your device, then you might try this as a last ditch effort. What I'm about to suggest is extreme...but it did work when mine took a dump.

We're going to go look for numbers on microchips!

Shut your system down and remove the cover on your computer...unless its still under warranty. If its under warranty, go get a remedy from your vendor.
Leave it plugged in so that it remains grounded, and don't touch any of the chips!
As I said, we're going to go look at chipset numbers which can get you the correct driver, which will in turn, get your sound back.
If you have a separate sound card, (they are screwed into the back of your machine and have the input/output jacks) look on it and copy down numbers from any chipset that is on its board. There may be several numbers on a chip. I believe we want the number from the first line.

If you don't have a sound card as described, then your sound is integrated into your mother board. Since a mother board contains many chips, isolate the audio chip by following your CD-ROM drive audio leads (two or three small guage leads) down to where they connect onto your mother board. The chip should be very close to that connection. Copy down the number from it.

Now that you have a number, go online and do a search.
In the search box type in the word --> chipset (plus the number you found)
Click go.
Your manufacturer will most likely show up in the results.
Download the driver for that number.

I know this sounds extreme. But it worked for me.

Good luck & Best wishes.
Craze

Craze
09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
This is an Edit to the original post for resetting "X" & "Y" coordinates for a missing Master Volume Control Panel. It may help some who have almost gotten there, to find X & Y.

NOTE: If you don't have a speaker icon in your taskbar, this fix won't help.
Your Audio Device driver is not installed.

Click Software
Use "EDIT" tab in tool bar...select FIND...type in VOLUME CONTROL.
Click FIND NEXT.

Click on VOLUME CONTROL...X and Y should appear in the right pane window.
If you do not find X & Y...look in the folder directly below the VOLUME CONTROL which would be your Audio Device.
Note the value of X & Y in paranthesis. Its probably a huge number that indicates that the volume control panel is displaying offscreen.

Right click on X
Select Modify
Click "DECIMAL" radio button.
Type in the number 5
Click OK.
Repeat for "Y".

Close Registry
Done.
Open Volume Control Panel and smile. :smile2:
Craze

ChristinaS
09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Maybe I've missed the premise of this thread, and this has already been covered. If this is the case, I'm sorry for butting in, as I'm obviously guilty of laziness in not reading all the posts :o

Normally you can bring back the volume icon onto the task bar from Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia. That is assuming there's not a worse underlying problem, of course.

Craze
09-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi Christina,
No problem. From post *41...this is a worse case scenario.
Your option, while a good one, is not available when the audio device is either unknown, or doesn't have a driver.
I first experienced this when I had to reformat on 98SE. ME sounds similar.
Windows either couldn't find the device or the driver and listed it as Unknown.
Mine was nowhere on the Hardware disc to be found as well.

My audio device "Audio for Crystal WDM Audio Codec" was not listed at that time while the problem was occurring as it is shown in the attachment. No Icon either.

But I'm open for trying to locate an audio device/driver that Windows refuses to find. ;)
Thanks - Craze

Unregistered
09-16-2004, 10:50 AM

Unregistered
09-24-2004, 03:14 AM
I am using wins xp.
my problem is tat, vol ctrl will not show up in the taskbar everytime i start up my windows, and i need to go to control , uncheck show this in tasbar, apply it, then check back and apply it. and my vol ctrl is back in the taskbar... this is weird rite??
hope anyone can help me to restore back, meaning that it will show up everytime i restart my pc, and not going through all the crap!!!
thax

ChristinaS
09-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Ok, I think what you're experiencing is XP's "brilliant" :thumbdown notion of only showing the currently active tasks in the taskbar, and hiding the others. I think there's an option to have everything visible at all times.

Unregistered
09-24-2004, 03:57 PM
no no..
not the hiding part...
i've make volume control to visible all time..
and it will not show up in the taskbar till i go to comtrol panel to uncheck and check!

ChristinaS
09-24-2004, 08:06 PM
no no..
not the hiding part...
i've make volume control to visible all time..
and it will not show up in the taskbar till i go to comtrol panel to uncheck and check!
I'm referring to XP's feature of hiding all icons in the task bar unless they are for programs actively being used. But you may well be having another problem.

Do you perhaps have a special sound card and the volume control module is one that comes with the software for that soundcard rather than the regular Windows one?

hypnotised
10-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks alot for that invaluable information on how to reinstall the volume control. I did this: 1. Start a command session.

<cd drive>:

cd i386

and it worked like a charm. After installing and uninstalling SP2, and reinstalling SP1 with a repair installation, it's been missing. I never would've been able to figure that one out. Thank you. Sincerely, Tom B.

Unregistered
10-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Post 13 worked for me too, and im running Windows XP. just make sure to pay close attention to the commands to type. There is a space between the underscore and the percentage sign. That makes a big difference.

msftttechigirl
10-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Post * 10 fixed it for me. You guys are awesome. I spent so much time trying to fix this.

cheers

Unregistered
10-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I've seen this problem before. Its the SB Live *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*ers that messed it up. I'll bet you're all using SB Live boards. What happens is this: The volume control thinks its there, but it isn't, and its the windows SB Live drivers that do it. I find that if you go into the sound settings and click the "place volume control in system tray" button off (then apply) then on again (then apply), it miraculously appears. Basically, it *blooper**blooper**blooper**blooper*s up on start up, but not at run-time. I think it has to do with the extensions needed for the surround sound in the volume control - either that, or with Creative's obsession of having a full multimedia center dropdown thingy to embed your volume control into, so maybe they figured they should get rid of the redundant tray one.

Either way, despite all you know-it-alls out there, this isn't a simple "ooh, they forgot to show all tray icons" or "ooh, they forgot to click the show-volume-in-tray option". This is just something broken.

Unregistered
10-28-2004, 09:19 AM
I have the same problem with the notshowing volume control
I tried
(i)1. Start a command session.

<cd drive>:

cd i386

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32(/i)

but it just says that it cannot find the files

Casey Guest.
11-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Wow, I found this site with google, and that was a huge help, I've been recording with my guitar and haven't been able to adjust my Voplume Control for weeks.

BTW This place is remarkably like this place...

www.guitarlodge.com

lowira
12-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Nikesh
12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't know if there is any relation between Outlook exp' and volume control.
U need to try opening 'Sound and audio devices' in control panel. tick 'place volume icon in the taskbar'. hope this will do.

xlilpenguinzx
12-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Ive Tried All The Things People Game To Help Me But They All Say To Try The Windows Xp Cd Rom But My Laptop Already Came With Xp So There Is No Cd Rom!!! Please Help!!

johnnymixit
01-04-2005, 06:23 AM
i need a fix for missing volume control on windows xp. i tried the one for 98 but it keeps saying files cannot be found,,can anyone help i've been at this for 4 days solid, i've tried everything...

Craze
01-05-2005, 08:44 PM
i need a fix for missing volume control on windows xp. i tried the one for 98 but it keeps saying files cannot be found,,can anyone help i've been at this for 4 days solid, i've tried everything...
Hi Johnnymixit,

I'd sure like to help you and I know how frustrating it is. Two weeks downtime for me a couple of years ago when I initiated this thread.
The only thing I know about Windows XP is from what XP users have posted throughout this thread. Several fixes are listed.
The '98 fix may not be your buggaboo.
Post *28 clarifies that the X and Y's are listed in your particular Audio Device folder. (A subfolder of the Volume Control).
Did you have good values for X and Y?
Does the prompt identify what files, or kind of files are missing?
If it's an audio device or driver that is missing you won't have any sound until you find them, and install them. (Windows '98SE couldn't find mine).
Post 41 outlines my extreme last ditch efforts at finding them.

Perhaps everything was fine until a recent program was added?
Anything added that you can tell us may be beneficial in solving your problem.
Let us know a little more. Surely someone has seen this before and can help.

Best wishes.
-Craze

matt4bey
01-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Heya guys I can see the icon of volume control but when i click on it this error comes up

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware this programme will now be closed "

What can i do ive been months and its not letting any sound play, or anything and my sound card is working and installed. what can i do?

matt4bey

Craze
01-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Heya guys I can see the icon of volume control but when i click on it this error comes up

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, Click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware this programme will now be closed "

What can i do ive been months and its not letting any sound play, or anything and my sound card is working and installed. what can i do?

matt4bey
How does everything look inside your control panel? Are there any devices listed under "sound" as questionable, problematic, or unknown? I had a similar problem a long time ago (different from my original post here).
After trying just about everything else, I believe I removed my sound device from within the Control Panel/Device Manager. Windows was able to find it and reinstall it. :smile2:
You might give this a try and let us know if it worked for you.
Best wishes.
-Craze

LtData
01-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Another thing to try is opening your computer, pull out the soundcard, boot into Windows, shut down, then put the soundcard back in, preferably in a different PCI slot. If this doesn't conjure up the "new hardware detected", then remove it from the device manager and try again.

matt4bey
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Another thing to try is opening your computer, pull out the soundcard, boot into Windows, shut down, then put the soundcard back in, preferably in a different PCI slot. If this doesn't conjure up the "new hardware detected", then remove it from the device manager and try again.

hey where do i find the soundcard programme

LtData
01-11-2005, 07:11 PM
hey where do i find the soundcard programme
Soundcard program? You mean your drivers? They should have come on a CD with the card or check the manufacturer's website.

nephromancer
03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
First try the simple fix

Windows XP

Open the Control panel

Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Verify the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" checkbox is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document.

If you were able to check this box, click ok and close out of this window and the Control Panel.

Double-click the sound icon in the systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher
bj

europea_12
03-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey i just got win xp and my volume control is missin i have no idea wat to do can any any ony helpp me?

ChristinaS
03-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Have you gone through control panel to see if it's there? In Sounds and Multimedia, in the first tab, you have the option to check to have the volume icon shown in the taskbar.

Also keep in mind that the defaults in XP are not to show a bunch of regular things in the taskbar. You'll have to go through various options to figure out where to activate the displaying of all buttons.

timcolson
03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
XP Fix
Just go to control panel
Open up "Sounds and Audio Devices" on the "Volume" tab check the box that says "Place volume icon in the task bar"

That's it. Should be there from now on.

rmholcomb
03-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Craze (or anyone else out there who likes a challenge)-
Hope you still check this thread. I have been struggling with sound on my new used Dell computer since we got it a few weeks ago. It has never had a volume icon since we have owned it. It runs Windows ME. We have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows ME three times, so please don't suggest that. The onboard sound card didn't seem to be working, the Bios chipset is fully updated and I have tried to update again but the computer told me that it was not necessary, that it was already fully updated. So that isn't what it needs. I bought a BLEEP BLEEPITY BLEEP SB Live PCI card thinking at least I would get some sound, even if it was not the best quality. Just an el cheapo card. Popped it in. You know how the CD and drivers go, so I won't elaborate on that. Anyway, here is my dilemma.

In Device Manager, the onboard sound card is disabled, and my Sound Blaster card is recognized and listed as installed and working properly, and drivers are listed and there are no conflicts.

In Sound/Multimedia, everything is greyed out (and "show volume icon on the desktop is checked, though greyed out). Under the Devices tab, my Soundblaster card is the only card listed for audio, MIDI and mixer, and it says that it is working properly.

I have the sndvol32.exe program in my windows folder, but when I try to run it or execute it or whatever, nothing happens. There is no volume icon. When I use dxdiag, it tells me there is no audio device driver installed and no sound card installed.

I am not hallucinating, all of the things I said here are true, I am not seeing things wrong. Yes, my onboard device really is disabled, yes, my sound card really is recognized and installed, but yes, my sound is really greyed out. Ever heard of this? No one else has been able to help me so far. You sound like you have heard of some strange things, so I thought I would offer this one and see if you have any ideas. Thanks for your time and possible suggestions.

Craze
03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi rmholcomb,

Your symptoms are identical to those I encountered when I was forced to reformat my Win98SE, which led to post *41 of this thread. (My last ditch effort,...which worked).
Being that everything is shaded grey in your Sound/Multimedia and you can't get to it suggests that your Audio device driver is missing as your dxdiag states. You also have no volume control icon and sndvol32.exe does nothing when you try it. Classic.
I had installed mine several times. Windows just couldn't seem to find it. And until its found, you won't have a volume control icon.

Is your original sound on a seperate card or on the Mother board? If its on the mother board I would enable it and try to get it going first. Then maybe the other card can be installed once ME recognizes your Audio Device and driver.

I don't profess to be any help at all.:D And certainly not an expert. I started this thread when I could find no help anywhere out there but had a programmer friend who was able to solve my particular problem. And since this whole site deals with audio,... Well you get the drift.
Review post *41, 43, and 44. Look at the attached snapshots.
You might also try entering the Setup when you restart your computer and check your Integrated Peripherals settings to see if AC97Audio is set to (Auto). If not, set it to Auto and see if it changes anything. If not, follow post *41.
Let us know what you find out and if you were able to get it working.
-Craze

sugarcub
04-29-2005, 08:03 AM

If you have a master recovery disk use it.All your volume controls are on it :D

sugarcub
04-29-2005, 08:06 AM
If you have a master recovery disk use it. I lost all my volume too.I found everything I needed on my master recovery disk

tractor
05-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Will the fix suggested by Craze work for Windows 2000?

qwecom
06-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I had a similar problem with sound cards working properly and no sound. I found the solution after several clean installs. The service "Windows Audio" was disabled. The weird thing was that something disabled it even on a clean install.

Just to cover all of your bases, go to the RUN menu and type "services.msc". Scroll down to "Windows Audio" and make sure it's running and/or set to "automatic".

I thought I was familiar with every service, but somehow I'd always overlooked that one. Such a simple thing can cause no end of headaches.

-Andrew

sammogard
09-04-2005, 02:43 PM
so i'm using windows 98 and everything that has been said to try i cannnot do

i cannot get it back i don't have a windows disc so why don't one of you guys just copy the exe on your computer and host it as a more simple solution ?

its drivein me nuts

Randall Forsber
11-19-2005, 08:33 AM
My sndvol32.exe is missing and I can't find the original CD that came with the computer (netvista 8310 85U). Is there any other way to reinstall this driver, except reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling XP completely (wiping out all applications and files)?

ChristinaS
11-19-2005, 03:15 PM
See here for missing sndvol32.exe: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=26241*post26241

ChristinaS
11-19-2005, 03:16 PM
so i'm using windows 98 and everything that has been said to try i cannnot do

i cannot get it back i don't have a windows disc so why don't one of you guys just copy the exe on your computer and host it as a more simple solution ?

its drivein me nuts

So please run by me what exactly you did try.

domuhhnic
11-29-2005, 06:31 PM
what if you dont have an windows xp pro disk? the download is not working in that site .

MyTaintedYouth
11-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Okay, anybody who's computer just wont do any of these things, just do the easy thing, lol, download this:

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd3/49341/Volume%20Control.ZIP

Inside that zip file is SNDVOL32.exe.... nothing else, so dont worry.

extract it to your system32 folder or just run it from there, either way it works.

~Peace!~
~Matt~

kpvvijay
12-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem : missing volume control icon and getting the same stupid error while trying to place icon on task bar.

I copied sndvol32.exe from a comp that was working fine.

pasted it to my comp : c:\windows\system32

Then I went to sound properties - put a check mark on place the icon on task bar and clicked ok

yipieeeeeeeeeeeeee - it worked

dailo
01-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi

I have the same situation, except my volume control is missing, but i can still change volume with my laptop volume buttons. However, i can only play songs in itunes, and windows media player, internet explorer doesnt work, and windows sounds wont play. for example, when you change theme settings, these windows songs wont play

any help appreciated.

cheers

tveheim
02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
I've also experienced problems trying to add the volume icon in my taskbar. When i click on "Sounds and audio devices" in control panel and check for "place volume icon in the taskbar" nothing happens. It does not appear, and I don't get any kind of error message like this one: "Error
Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed". To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.. I also tried to search for the file snd32vol.exe, and i found it here: C:WINDOWSsystem32. So obviously I got the right file. I also re installed my sound card driver, but it did not help. I read somewhere that spyware programs might case this type of problem, so I removed my spyware programs, but it did not help. Any clue of what can be done? anyone? please help!

ChristinaS
02-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Are you hiding the volume icon? Windows XP has a silly notion of hiding taskbar icons.

tveheim
02-28-2006, 05:33 AM
No, I'm not hiding the volume icon..

miwin1000
05-23-2006, 01:10 AM
:komisch12 thanks to qwecom for fixing my missing volume control!!!!!! :komisch9: :D :thumbup: :smile2: :p

car accident/powerpole/electricity flickered/messed up my puter! qwecom's offer (*75) fixed it for me!!!!!!!!!! :komisch9:

caballoazul
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
have XP, tried to get rid of an older window messenger, but now the volume control icon does not show on the tasbar, nor does it work when I go to control panel, it shows that popular window message saying that:

Im missing the volume control settings. Although, I can use the volume buttons on the laptop, and I do have volume.

I've tried to use the windows support suggestions, but when I type cd i386, it says that it cannot find the specified pathway. I have the cd rom with the XP cd inside the CD rom, and also used the regedit way, and volume control does not show, only volume levels and I cannot find to find a solution for this problem.

Can anyone help, Im also computer illiterate, so please bear that in mind when you are suggesting...
thanks a lot for your time

OmegaX
08-14-2006, 04:04 AM
I had a similar problem with sound cards working properly and no sound. I found the solution after several clean installs. The service "Windows Audio" was disabled. The weird thing was that something disabled it even on a clean install.

Just to cover all of your bases, go to the RUN menu and type "services.msc". Scroll down to "Windows Audio" and make sure it's running and/or set to "automatic".

I thought I was familiar with every service, but somehow I'd always overlooked that one. Such a simple thing can cause no end of headaches.

-Andrew

You sir are simply a god. Not only did you find the solution to my problem but it was quite possibly the easiest one at that. I dont know how I and all the others I asked over looked it.

dagda
02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey, I found a quick fix for Windows XP Home edition computers. Go to "Add or remove Programs", then click on "Add / Remove Windows Components". Check only Utilities off, and let it run its check. After you do that, go back into your control panel and click on "Sounds and Audio Devices" and click the box to put it in your tray. Easy Fix for whatever was wrong with me. :smile2:

colley1962
07-13-2007, 04:19 AM
Hey, I found a quick fix for Windows XP Home edition computers. Go to "Add or remove Programs", then click on "Add / Remove Windows Components". Check only Utilities off, and let it run its check. After you do that, go back into your control panel and click on "Sounds and Audio Devices" and click the box to put it in your tray. Easy Fix for whatever was wrong with me.
:lustig12: BIG, HAPPY THUMBS UP TO YOU, dagda. I have been without my volume control icon for at least 2 months now. I don't know how I made it "disappear," but nothing I tried worked. But your suggestion did. Thank you very much. But I did have to use my Windows XP Home Edition disc to retrieve some files. I'm still so very happy and relieved!

sirdumas
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
THANK YOU qwecom, you have made my life much better, I have been struggling with no audio for weeks, and I had this problem from a clean install and did everything right, but Windows Audio in services (go to run, type services.msc) was set to disabled, and I alt. clicked on it hit properties and changed the startup type from DISABLED to AUTOMATIC, restarted and heart the sweet noise of windows logging in! Thank you so, so much. I just hope that other people can recover from this damn error "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

Thanks a lot,
Sirdumas.

Terrastorm
12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Okay I just accidentely deleted my volume control, and know how to get it back. Unfortunately, I require a disk to restore it. Can someone tell me where I could find it for cheap, thanks. Alternatives that doesn't involve the disk are also welcome.

|Darkness|
12-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Click Software
Click FIND NEXT.

Click on X.
Right click X
Select Modify
Type in the number 5
Repeat for "Y".

These things happen.

Crazy Curt

OMG! I love you ;) :p i have been struggling for weeks, possibly even months to get my master control panel to open, everything i tried just wouldnt work and most help is for windows ME but i upgraded to XP pro years ago but this HAS fixed it, THANKYOU sooooooooo much. I have no idea what caused this as it was fine for ages, then one day bleh it wouldnt open but hey, who cares cos now its fixxxxxxed :D

Craze
12-14-2007, 11:59 PM
You're welcome.

Wow. I started this thread five years ago when there were no answers posted on the net anywhere for this particular problem,...at a time when many folks were having the problem.
A good friend who manages test parameter software at my work place came up with the answer by one of his experiences when he lost Internet Explorer from a second monitor that he had connected to his system, when the monitor suddenly died. He later figured out that coordinates for this second monitor were off the screen from his primary monitor and reasoned that this could be the same problem I was having. I was thrilled that it worked and my sound returned instantly after weeks of being without it.
I'm glad to see that it has helped so many people over the years,...and that other answers have been found by other members along the way.

Best wishes to all.
Craze

Nemesys
01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Hello frustrated XP/SBlive users.

My gf has had this problem with running XP with a SBlive sound card; sound card and drivers are installed, Windows still BEEPS at me, but no sound from Windows Media Player etc...

When I click on the volume icon, it says 'there are no active mixer devices available'. :S

In device manager, all devices are installed, reporting no prolems... We've had this problem for quite some time now, I've checked out quite a few forums.

The last thread seems to work, kudos to 'qwecom' :)

If you are having these symptoms:

Just go to 'start'>'run' type in services.msc, and scroll down to 'Windows Audio'. Under the 'status' column, other services should be 'started', but for some reason 'Windows Audio' status is blank :S just right-click and select 'start'. This should solve your problem.

I've been building computers for years as a hobby, and I've seen soo many users with this problem regarding XP/SBlive... I'm not sure what the underlying problem is, but if you ever find yourself without sound, this IS a quickfix.

I hope this helps :)

PS credits go to QweCom - you're the only one that has provided useful information regarding THIS problem.

beavisnachong
07-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,
I recently encountered many problems after doing what I thought would only delete my Outlook Express which no longer worked. Over the next few days I realized Word Pad and Paint were missing. Windows Media Player was missing.
I was unable to fix these using conventional methods but eventually restored them. Then I today notice volume control is gone, not just the icon, and when checking the box to "show volume icon in tray" error message says it cannot find.
Solution: Search for sndvol32 in your hard drive. I found it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. It was executable so I sent a shortcut to the desktop but haven't tried getting into the tray. I may just place it in quick launch. At least it still exists. I thought it was gone. spent at least an hour on this one.
-Dan

nea1991
08-13-2008, 06:54 PM
My windows xp volume control on the task panel has gone missing. Itunes works find, sound is good. However any sound on Mozilla Firefox doesn't work. When i click on Sounds and audio devices under the control panel, then adjust volume and click on the volume tab this is what the screen says:

No Audio Device

The change volume selections under device volume and the place volume icon on task bar is grayed out. I can't click on it. i have tried everything, can anyone help?

esullivan
02-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi.. My audio stopped working all in a sudden.. Sound device is working properly and enabled. Reinstalled Driver but it didn't bring back sound. "Sound and Audio Device" under control panel is greyed out. I've also tried to look into Window services and can't find "Window Audio" listed. "sndvol32.exe" is not running (not in the active processes list). When I clicked on "sndvol32.exe" it kept telling me there are no active mixer controls..

At first I thought maybe the sound card on the mother board was broken.. so I bought an Audigy sound card (pcmcia slot).. I installed the driver and everything seemed fine and it said it is working properly too.. but still no sound.. all symptoms above still existed.

I also tried the "expand" command with the sndvol32.ex_ file from my XP installation CD.. still doesn't work.

I went to microsoft's support page and tried their suggestion by adding "drivers=mmsystem.dll" into the boot system.ini file.. still nothing works.

I am really frustrated at this point and not sure what else could have gone wrong!

Hopefully someone from here can shed some light.

thanks a lot

checksappeal
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Crazy Curt
I dont see X & Y in the volume control folder OR in the volume control folder of Sigma Tel Audio. Is there a proper way to insert those?

Thanks
Anin

Craze
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I believe the X & Y should show up in your sound card folder which is a subfolder of the Volume Control.

I found it in this string in the Registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Applets/Volume Control/Sound Card(Whatever yours is called).

Incidently, my search this evening skipped right over this folder. So I don't know what's changed since I first posted this fix. ;)

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

Craze

violetrosewood
05-02-2009, 12:57 AM
First try the simple fix

Windows XP

Open the Control panel

Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Verify the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" checkbox is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document.

If you were able to check this box, click ok and close out of this window and the Control Panel.

Double-click the sound icon in the systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher
bj

Ok you guys I did that all but it wouldn;t let me click on the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" so what would I do? My brother in law has been trying to download a new volume control on it but so far nothing.....

please, please help me.

thanx,
violet

Squallman
05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Lordy I hope someone can help me. I have followed every step of all the advice everywhere and I can not get my volume control back. The volume tab in audio sounds and devices is grayed out.

I tried the XY thing, I have Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) as my device under volume control in registry. I did the decimal change it took effect and still not working.

I did the extracting of the sndvol32 from my XP cd and it is there but doesn't change a thing.

I have downloaded a new version of the sound device and when I try to install it, says files are missing do I want to continue to install without them, I set the path to the folder where the new files should be found but even with the new download of the audio driver, the files are not all there.

I think this happened when I un-installed service pack 3 to repair my malfunctioning Internet explorer 7, which microsft made it mandatory to do if you want to un-install IE7, what a kick in the head huh?

Anyhow, since re-installing service pack 3 and the internet explorer 7 my other issues have been corrected, but this one, I have no volume.

I have been at this for 2 weeks and I am about to scream :O

If anyone has an idea of how to help me please oh please save my life.

I would appreciate any help at all... Thanks in advance.... Dave

Craze
05-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Try going into your device manager and uninstalling your sound device.
Then reboot and let Windows reinstall it. Had this problem ages ago and was down for a couple of weeks with no sound trying to go figure. This actually solved the problem.

Let us know if this works for you.
Best regards.

Squallman
05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Craze,

First thanks for replying, I am apprciative for any and all suggestiosn, I have done that a few times, it only reinstalls back to where it was in the midi section of Audio sound devices.

Heres a post with a little more of what is going on.. Thanks in advance for any help... Dave

I have no volume on my computer, I have tried everything I think.

Here's what I have so far. In Sounds and Audio Devices, The volume tab is completely grayed out and can't pick anything as The sound devices.

Under the sound tab I have a theme picked for my computer sounds and it is not grayed out.

Under the audio tab, the drop downs are not grayed out but it has a device selected that doesn't play sound in Sound Playback & Sound Recording, it says Modem *6 Line Playback & Modem *6 Line Record. The device in the Midi Music Playback is my audio device SB Audigy 2 Synth B [DF00], The audio device in this section allows me to hear my mp3 player run through my computer speakers, when I plug it into the headphones on my computer.

In the voice Tab, I again have Modem *6 for both Voice playback and voice record. Again the system tells me that this cannot play sound. However, there is no other option in the drop down boxes where ever Modem *6 is installed.

I have no volume icon on task bar. I have extracted the sndvol32 from my original XP CD, and the files are inside system 32. Yet it still doesn't open up the volume control tab inside Sounds and audio devices.

I have tried changing the decimals to 5 in the sound device through the registry. That did not work.

I believe I need to get the Volume control Tab working so I can pick and audio device. But I have tried everything.

Do I have to redefine the PATH to Volume Control perhaps? And how would one do that? I have tried to reinstall Volume Control going through add and remove programs, but inside the Components Wizard, Multimedia is not there. It says that Volume Control is a component inside Multimedia, but if it's missing how do I get to it?

Any help at all would be appreciated, even if it's only suggestions, I have tried everything I could think of and all the things Microsoft said to do and I can't get my Volume back.

I would try to repair it through my Windows XP CD however, I can not get into it unless I can find a floppy drive big enough to hold the 7.33 MB Sata drive download that the CD needs to find my hard drive.

Big Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion, just so I have something else to try, because I am at a complete loss now...

Additional Information: XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, AVG Anti-Virus, Windows Firewall, Windows Media Player 11, Dell Dimension XPS Generation 2, Internet Explorer 7

Thanks David

Craze
05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Greets squallman,

As you can see, there are a number of things that can go wrong with your volume control from studying this thread.

Post *53 points out that many users with external sound cards may have this same problem. Especially Creative's Multimedia center which wants to embed your volume control into it's program. And Sound Blaster cards. Clean installs also seem to very problematic at losing the Volume Control.

Post *75 from qwecom suggests running the services.msc option which may solve your problem. It looks similar to the AC97Audio setting in older Windows version from my post *71, and needs to be set to Auto.

Lt Data's suggestion in post *63 suggests removing your external sound card to see if Windows will detect your original audio device. Then work from there to get your external sound card going.

*If your audio device or drivers are missing (resulting in shaded options you can't select from) or have missing or corrupted files, the easiest method seems to be to uninstall the audio devcie from your Control Panel Device Manager and allow Windows to detect and reinstall it.

*You may at some point during these steps unplug your computer for 15 minutes or so and allow the memory to refresh.

I don't know how helpful Creative's or Sound Blaster's web help might be? But these both may be options to check into.

I hope this is helpful. Update us on your findings.
Best regards.

Craze

Craze
06-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Since this thread was first started we have seen a lot of variations for a Missing Volume Control. It might be time to review.

My initial posting was for a Missing Volume Control that would not display correctly when it was opened.

The scenario for this is that the volume icon is parked and showing in it's normal position near the system clock. Double clicking on the icon opens up the Volume Control Mixer and it appears in the Taskbar as an open window.

The real problem here is that the Volume Control does not show up on the display. Rather it's offscreen. Resetting the" X" & "Y" coordinates from the Registry will correct this problem.
These coordinates are found in your audio device folder which is a subfolder of the volume control.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\Volume Control\Audio Device (Whatever yours is called)].

There is a lot more information out there now than when I first started this thread in 2002 that may be found from doing an online Search using the simplest of terms of what kind of problem you are having. For example: XP volume icon missing, sndvol32 missing, audio device missing, etc.

Audio Device missing or not installed.

The rule of thumb seems to be that if your sound card has a problem it will show that from within your Control Panel\System\Device Manager. Options for selecting an audio device from other menues will be shaded not allowing you to select your Audio Device.
Remedy:
Uninstall your audio device from the device Manager. Reboot. And allow Windows to detect and reinstall it.
Your Audio Device is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

sndvol32 missing or not installed

This is your Windows Volume Control Mixer. The icon will be missing.
Your sndvol32 is located in C:\WINDOWS
More info at the following and include sndvol32 downloads.

http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/517401-sndvol32-exe-missing.html
http://forums.techguy.org/attachments/91688d1163267820/sndvol32.zip

http://www.technize.com/2008/02/22/volume-control-program-has-not-been-installed/
http://technize.com/content/downloads/sndvol32.exe

XP users - Volume Control icon missing.

XP likes to hide the icon. Your best bet might be to do that online search.
Seems I've read that upgrading to SP2 solves this. Anyone know for sure?

I hope ths helps late comers to cut to the chase.
Best regards to all.

Craze

zeke1
06-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I read all of these posts and am still having problems fetching my missing sndvol.exe file. for my win98.

It does not show up in the drives folder , even after I checked off "show all files"; they are .sys files.
Craze, I tried using the file from your list but it was probably an XP file which didn't work.
I would very much appreciate any help on this.

Craze
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Check again. The file should be in C:\WINDOWS.

Win98 file:
http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/drivers/115/115976.htm

LtData
06-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I know XP/Vista has the below, but not sure if 98 does also:
Below the "Show all Files" option, is there an option to hide protected system files? Make sure that is unchecked also.

Craze
06-21-2009, 09:34 AM
I know XP/Vista has it, but not sure if 98 does.

Lt Data, Can you clarify what "it" is?
Are you talking about the sndvol32 file? Or something else?

LtData
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Rephrased: I was referencing the option I mentioned in the below that.

Mak_theole
12-07-2010, 01:06 AM
I have realtek HD audio manager.For some unknown reason the icon on the toolbar has changed. Instead of the volume control showing I get an icon that I have to right click to select volume, a nuiscence. There seems to be no way to select just a volume control to show on the toolbar?
Any ideas please?

keepsilent
07-18-2011, 05:06 AM
I had the same problem with windows XP and that fix worked for me.