View Full Version : CD Writer Standard 80 min CD

12-08-2006, 08:13 PM

I'm trying to write to a Standard 80 min CD which is the very top option. I pick this option and start to convert and copy by finding my file and then hitting the arrow. I've been choosing one track at a time. It used to work O.K. but now it usually crashes.

I've noticed that what it is doing is changing my format to an MP3 format although I don't change this, the program changes it automatically. Also, when I go to change it back to the standard 80 min CD format, that option has been completely removed from my list of options.

I should be able to go from ape or wave or any format to CD on the fly, correct?

Any help?



12-08-2006, 11:22 PM

I have what appears to be hundreds of CD types in my drop down list on the CD writer program. There appears to only about 5 types and the rest are all duplicates. Examples are standard 80 min CD, standard 74 min CD, 650 MB MP3 etc.

How many of these CD types should be in there? I have only made one type of CD so far and that is the 80 minute CD. As I said in the other thread, I can't even see that option now.

I guess I will have to make a new CD format, but how do I delete the hundreds of formats that are there now?

And why did I lose the 80 minute option?



12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
See here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=11277 on how to clean up the list of cds.

12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
dCW (dBpowerAMP CD Writer) has a few bugs, as you see. One bug seems to cause the program to crash when tracks are added, usually only after a certain number of tracks have been added (although the point at which this will start up is not the same from one project to the next-not in terms of number of tracks and not in terms of amount of CD space taken up). Some users report an apparent duplication of tracks when this occurs. This error seems to be much more common with mp3/wma CD projects than with standard Audio CDs. In your case, perhaps it is related to inadvertent switching your project to mp3/wma CD.

My personal work-around is to re-open dCW after each crash, delete the last track added and go on from there until the next crash. I don't know for sure that deleting the last track makes a difference, but I like to think that it does.

The other known problem is the proliferation of CD definitions that you describe. Christina's link should help with this. I had not known this to occur if you stuck to the standard CD definitions, though if you have worked on or saved multiple burning projects, I can imagine this happening. It might help if you create and burn your disks in a single selection and select the option to not save your disks after burning.

Spoon has promised to take a look at fixing these bugs once he gets dMC R12 out as final release (expected to be some time in January).

As far as your other questions-you should be able to convert to standard CD format on the fly from any format for which you have the right dMC decoding codecs installed.

I cannot explain why your files are showing as mp3 as they are being added for burning unless you are inadvertently changing the project definition without noticing. This can happen if you select the Standard 80 minute CD setting and use your mouse wheel to try to sort through folders or track lists. If you do this, the program (which has kept you CD selection active) will go through your active CD definitions (ending up at 700 mb wma/mp3) rather than going through your folders or files. If you do not reset the project setting to Standard Audio CD 80 minutes before adding files, you would end up with an mp3 disk rather than a standard audio cd disk.

Alternately, if you were to start a standard audio cd, then start an mp3 disk; you could mistakenly end up adding tracks to the mp3 disk when you want to be working on your standard audio cd.

Sorry you have had to run into these problems.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and best wishes,

12-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi xoas

I have experienced all of the problems that you mentioned. I have also had it crash and have also just closed it and reopened it. As far as me changing the CD type by using the mouse wheel, I may be doing this so I will keep an eye for it.

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know it's not just me and that others are having the same problems.

I hope Spoon works on this after finishing the other project as I like to burn a lot of compilation CDs.