PDA

View Full Version : Odd truncated wav file results from conversion

mkosma
12-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I have an audiobook that I'm trying to convert from .aa to .wav. Resulting file has never been opened. The .aa file is 421:52 minutes long (per the popup when I hover the mouse over it), and about 98 megabytes.

Converting to .wav, the resulting file is 4.3 gigabytes. However, when I hover the mouse over it, or open it in windows media player, the length of the file is reported as 16:05 minutes, and size is reported to be only 166 megabytes. Sure enough, play the .wav file and it stops after 16:05 minutes.

This is a freshly downloaded file. I successfully converted several other files of similar size, at the same time, without incident.

Any ideas what could be going on, or how to further debug this?

ChristinaS
12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
It needs rewinding in the audio book player I think.

Or see here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=56857*post56857

LtData
12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Also, I think you have hit the maximum size for WAV files. Why are you converting to WAV and not another lossless format, such as FLAC?

mkosma
12-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't think these comments are on target, and here's why:

A. Doesn't need to be "rewound" because:
1. The .aa is a fresh download, never been opened.
2. The .wav file starts at the beginning, and cuts off after 16+ minutes

B. Not a symptom of the max .wav size because:
1. I've converted other much larger .aa files to .wav without any problem
2. The file size in Explorer is huge (4GB) but dbPowerAmp reports the file size to be much smaller (160MB)

So, my speculation is that the .wav file that dbPowerAmp generates is somehow corrupted, or that it is improperly seeing an EOF where there is not one.

As for why I'm converting to .wav, it's an intermediate step in my process, the way I'm batching things before sending to an .mp3 then splitting into 5-minute segments.

The thing that burns me about this is that my target device is a Phatbox. It's audible-compatible. However, I cannot get the bookmarking/resume feature to work reliably. As a result, about 1/2 the time when I get in my car, the book starts over at the beginning. And the track breaks are so long it can take 5-10 minutes - literally - to scroll to where I left off in listening to a .aa file. Useless.

ChristinaS
12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I believe you will find that that errant EOF is a bookmark - and you need to rewind in fact.

Even if yuo got a fresh download that doesn't mean it was not played before being offerred for download.

mkosma
12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Tried again, after rewinding, and got the identical result. I do not think rewinding has anything to do with it.

ChristinaS
12-10-2006, 02:02 AM
Surely you may find your solution here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=56857*post56857

mkosma
12-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately, none of the recommended solutions helped. The .aa file, which appears intact, always converts to an appropriate file size wav (4 GB) but one for which the length is reported as 16 minutes. It cuts off, as described.

I have tried this with a fresh and never-opened download, as well as after hitting the "rewind" button in the Audible manager popup, and achieved identical results when converting through dbPowerAmp.

It appears that, as everyone here seems to have been ignoring, the wav file being generated is somehow corrupted. I don't know enough about the internal structure of the file -- why would it report the correct frequency and sampling interval, and a 4GB file length, but only 16:05 duration? Either there's a bogus terminator in the file, or more likely the header information is munged.

Is there any way to tell dbPowerAmp to only convert a certain range of the file? I don't mind having it split into parts.

Spoon
12-20-2006, 05:17 AM
It will be an issue with R11.5, it was not designed to go over 4GB. Try converting to the utility codec 'Length Splitter'.