PDA

View Full Version : Unable to convert WAV (ACM Codec Not Installed 'MPEG-1 Layer 1, 2')

pmradio
10-25-2006, 02:25 PM
I am trying to convert a file that was in our audio sytem. Though it has a wav extention, it's an MP2 and I've successfully used the BWF MP2 converter to export to a full wav with no problems. However, just today, I got this message:

The CODEC required to decompress '<filename.wav>' could not be opened.
ACM Codec Not Installed 'MPEG-1 Layer 1, 2'

I reinstalled the BWF converter but I still get the same error message. Any ideas?

LtData
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Where did this WAV MP2 file come from?

pmradio
10-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Where did this WAV MP2 file come from?

I downloaded it from our internal audio server for the radio station group I work for. Our audio sytem uses the wav mp2 (BWF) format. 32000kbs at a 3:1 conversion rate. I tried another file, dragging it out and no problems, so it's just with this one and a few like it. It's short, like a radio commercial, but 2 mins in length.

LtData
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Do you know what program is used to create the mp2 files inside of WAV files?

pmradio
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Wish I did. The audio suite has a way to automatically import regular wav's. You can also record into the suite in a production module. I'm not really sure what they did. I'm asking but thought I'd ask here just in case it was something simple I was missing. Thanks for asking the questions!

LtData
10-25-2006, 05:24 PM
What your missing is the ACM MP2 decoder, technically. I have no idea where you could find this, though.

pmradio
10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Well, I fixed the problem, though I don't know that it's applicable to anyone else. I remembered one of our staff had bought the QDesign MPEG Layer 2 ACM codec so I installed that and it worked fine. (I'd forgotten about it, in rebuilding a new computer but hadn't needed it so... But, it's pricey; wonder if there's a free solution somewhere?

Spoon
10-26-2006, 02:26 AM
R12 (in the beta section) will decode these files without any ACM codecs required.