PDA

View Full Version : Installed dbpoweramp, now Windows Media has not sound?!?

AmethystA
09-08-2006, 04:38 AM
Hi,
I just installed my registered dbpoweramp on my new computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Edition with Windows Service Pack 2. Prior to this install of dbpoweramp, I could listen to files fine in Windows Media Player...now while it shows the file as playing, I get no sound whatsoever. I've doubled checked all my connections, and still no sound. I do hear sound in Itunes, but nothing in Windows Media Player. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I thought, oh, must just have gotten and error in Windows Media Player, so tried to download it and re-install it, but then I get the error message, a newer version of Windows Media Player already installed, cannot contine installation. My Windows Media Player Version is 10.00.00.4036. Thanks in advance!

LtData
09-08-2006, 06:11 AM
You can't reinstall WMP because your version 10 has been patched and therefore is newer than the original WMP 10.

However, installing dBpowerAMP does not affect other programs on your machine.

You might want to check your volume settings and make sure nothing important is muted.

Spoon
09-09-2006, 05:05 AM
dBpowerAMP is not the culprit (if you installed just music converter it does not affect windows media player, or even your sound card).

cplaya177
09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Two things you may try. If you updated to WMP10 from original 9 (I assume since you use 2002 edition of MCE) then go to add/remove programs and check "Show Updates" Now scroll through and find WMP10 and uninstall it. Then reinstall it with your download.

Another option would be to install the beta of wmp11. I personally use it and unlike the beta of wmp10, I haven't heard of any widescale problems. Seems very stable so far but its all personal preference.

Like previously stated, dBpowerAMP didn't change anything that would affect WMP.

AmethystA
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions...unless I'm missing some setting somewhere in Windows Media Player itself....I can't find any setting for volume that is muted. I've checked in Control Panel under Sounds, all those setting are correct, and again, I have sound in all other programs.

I'm still trying to figure out how to uninstall Windows Media Player, I checked the show updates, but there are several, and not one that just says Windows Media Player 10...could I have more advice on which update to uninstall? I do know that version 10 was installed on the computer when I got it, so only hot fixes are what are showing up. I'm hesitant to install Windows Media Player 11, as I've had bad experiences with Beta versions in the past, but I may do it just to get my sound back!

LtData
09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Try reinstalling your soundcard drivers.

petriburg
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
We may all have overlooked one detail. Has Amethyst (nice name!) installed dMC or dAP? (Or both?). If it is the latter (Audio Player) then the option is to go to dAP>Configuration>File Associations, and see if WMP is selected as the default player. If not, as I found to my puzzlement in earlier days with dB. it is of course the reason why there's no sound in your chosen player. :cry:

xoas
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Have you checked the Wave output level for your soundcard?
I have had the experience of sound output being muted with WMP and this is what has worked for me for those occasions when I want to use WMP. Mostly I use dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player). I have had the experience of believing that installing and using dAP might have led to muting of sound output in WMP but I hardly ever use WMP so this is not really an issue for me. It might be for other users however. I am not positive that dAP is the cause for this however.

Best wishes,
Bill