PDA

View Full Version : Cannot convert m4a to Wave

mikeos
08-20-2006, 12:13 PM
In spite of following all procedures, I still get "cannot open" error messages when trying to convert from m4a to wave. I foolowed all instructions in the m4a Codec help files, downloaded the relevant Nero zip file, checked that the necessary six files were present in the Compression/Nero Digital Audio folder, all to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LtData
08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Did you point dMC to the folder that contains the encoder executable, via the "Locate Encoder" button, or the window that should automatically pop-up on first use?

mikeos
08-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. Well, I haven't seen a "Locate Encoder" button appear. When I open DbPower Amp Music Converter all I get is the "Select Music to Convert" box. If I then navigate to the folder containing my m4a files. I select the files, then the DbPower Amp Music Converter box opens, I select "convert files to wave", click convert, the immediately an error message "Errors while converting-could not be opened"

LtData
08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
My bad, I misread your question. I thought you was converting TO m4a.

Anyway, what settings are you choosing for WAV? The default settngs for an uncompressed WAV are 16-bit, 44100Hz, and stereo.

mikeos
08-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Yes that's right. I haven't changed the default settings. I should say, everything else converts to wave ok, shn, flac, ape, etc.

LtData
08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
What are the specifications of your m4a file? Where did it come from?
Try a "Test Conversion (no write)" on the file. If it succeeds, then dMC is able to decode your file. If it fails, then dMC cannot read your file.

mikeos
08-21-2006, 10:11 AM
It's a download from a torrent site.

I just did a test conversion as you suggested, but no dice, same error message.

However, since my last, I have discovered that I am able to convert m4a files with itunes satisfactorily. Still, it would have been nice if DbPowerAmp could do it. I just assumed that I was doing something wrong.

Thanks again.

Mike

mikeos
08-23-2006, 03:57 AM
Just a recap. I just tried to convert a different batch of m4a files, and dBpA converted them perfectly. How queer!