PDA

View Full Version : DSP filter on a large track

PsychicHigh
08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I am trying to convert a 4hour DJ mix from .ra format to .wav and use the normalize volume DSP filter.

The drive the temporary filter is setup on has 47.8 GB of hdd space left and I am getting an error that there's not enough space. Is there a possibility that the file is too big for the normalize volume DSP filter to work on? And would running the filter on adaptive mode make a difference?

The error message I receive is
Error whilst running DSP effect, lack of disk space? Temp file 'Z:\temp\DMC.Tmp' which is kinda confusing since the largest the temp file gets is 2.35gb in size, so I am really stumped on what to do about it.

ChristinaS
08-09-2006, 12:05 AM
The final file would need about 2.5GB of space. But to apply DSP effects you need sufficient memory. Maybe that's what you are missing.

Also there's a temporary folder that's being used during conversions (click the PowerPack rocket on the dMC window), and perhaps that is on a drive where you don't have enough space. Usually it's on the C drive.

But what is the Z drive for you? is that for you temporary folder?

PsychicHigh
08-09-2006, 06:00 AM
My Z: Drive is a sata harddrive I have for audio and video editing. Mostly as temporary space. It currently has 47.8 GB free. According to the 'rocket' my temporary space is Z:\Temp

But I see where you are comming from about memory, that could be the limitation I am running into. I only have 1GB of physical memory, and a 1GB swap space in windows. Would increasing the swap space from windows help? Like increasing it to 2GB as a precaution?

I have converted several DJ Mixes upto now, most of them are 2hour long (approx 1.3GB .wav) some 3hour long (approx 1.7GB .wav) but the ones that are 4hour long (all are about 2.5GB .wav) just seem to error out about not enough disk space. But the error only happens when I use the DSP. Without the DSP there is no problem, except that the mixes are just way too quiet to listen to.

The DJ Mixes are originall7 in .ra format, which are kept in C:\
Convert to .wav using Volume Normalizer in dMC with the output folder set as my G:\ drive.
Then using lame to convert to 192kbit+ VBR mp3.

Spoon
08-09-2006, 05:21 PM
You will be hitting a 2G limit of 2 power 31, wave (which is the temp file) should be able to hold 4GB, but nothing above that.

PsychicHigh
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
So, in the end, I wont be able to do it unless I can somehow cut the stream into 2 parts, and then splice back together after the DSP does it's job.

Anyone have any hints on going about cutting a .ra stream into 2 parts? Or maybe a way to get dMC to do this for me?

LtData
08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Why not take the WAV, split it, convert it and normalize it, then combine it again? Right now, dMC doesn't do this, but Audacity can: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

PsychicHigh
08-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I kept it as WAV, and without splitting it ran it through Audacity to normalize the sound volume.

Thanks for the help everyone, and LtData for pointing the way to Audacity. Kudos