PDA

View Full Version : problem with FLAC files

danielatt2002
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
when I try to convert flac into wav files what I obtain is:
"The CODEC required to decompress 'D:\DOCUMENTI \DANIELA\Musica e Film\MUSICA\B R U C E\Bruce Springsteen - 5 May 2005 - Oakland\bs-2005-05-05 d1t04 Youngstown.flac' could not be opened."
The files can be played with winamp, but not decod with dMC nor FLAC Fronted.
can you help me please?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
DAN

xoas
08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Your file name seems to be rather large. I do not know what limit(s) if any Flac has on tagging but you might start by trying your conversion but turning off the option to "Preserve File Tag(s)".

Next, I would use Flac Front-End to test your Flac file. My guess is that the Flac file is somehow corrupt. We have had one or 2 reported cases where particular Flac files were playable in WinAmp but could not be played through Flac Front End or dB Audio Player or Foobar 2000 or opened in dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC).

You could also try a test conversion of your Flac file(s) in dMC. This is done the same way you attempted to convert to mp3 except that where you selected mp3 as your output format select "Test Conversion (No Write)". This will not create an output file but you should see a progress bar that will very quickly tell you if dMC could decode the file or not (if it fails you will most likely get an error message).

If the file passes the Flac Front-End test and the dMC Test Conversion, the problem might be with your mp3 settings. You might try adjusting those.

If this/these fails pass the Flac Front-End test but fail the dMC test conversion, first make sure you have the latest dMC Flac codec.

If that does not work, try uninstalling your dMC Flac codec and see if you can configue the dMC WinAmp Plug-In Decoder to enable your WinAmp Flac codec to act as your dMC Flac decoder.

If that does not work, or if the Flac Front-End test fails, most likely your Flac file is corrupt in some way. If this is the case, your options are most likely to replace the Flac file(s) in question or to record it/them as they play through your sound card using WinAmp using dMC Auxilary Input. If you are trying to record more than one track at a time, record first to wave and then to mp3.

Please let us know how you make out. If you need further help, please describe what steps you have taken and what your results were.

Best wishes,
Bill

P.S. Please do not double-post.