PDA

View Full Version : Bug MMC/Audio CD Input



Agrajag
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Ripped some songs from a CD tonight and Audio CD Input came back and asked if I wanted to overwrite 3 songs. I said yes. When it ripped the the new versions the songs the track info was for the old versions. The album, track number and year were all wrong. The songs were the new versions though.

Spoon
07-25-2006, 03:27 AM
MMC does not know a file has been overwritten (it is seperate from the CD Ripper), you can instruct dAP to re-read the id tags from the files.

Agrajag
07-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Is there no way to automate that? If Audio CD Input overwrites a file couldn't you have it
tell MMC to re-read the ID tags when it's done?

Sorry to be a pain lately. Just trying to get it to where I can interact with all the various tools and have it be as no-brainer as possible without having to think about the process.

This is really getting to be a pain. So many unexplained issues that keep the process from being fluid.

I just finished another batch and now when I went to sync these over to the iPod, the sync screen shows me 3 songs from the LAST session that it wants to send from the iPod to MMC. The problem? Again, tags...

You tell me what caused this example:

Daryl Hall & John Oats - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

This song is on MMC and was sent over to the iPod during my last session. Sync now comes back and says it wants to send this song to MMC:

Daryl Hall & John Oats - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do

The only difference is a lost ")" character at the end. This is with APE files to MP3.

The next song it wants to send shows this mix up:

on MMC: Daryl Hall & John Oats - Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid
on iPod: Daryl Hall & John Oats - Some Things Are Better Left Un

Again, what happened here? Why do I have to deal with issues like this? It's not the 100 character limit.

Do you understand my frustration? This, to me, should be a core function of the applications that just works without incident. I keep running into these. First it was the fault of my choice of using WMA. My personal opinion is that if it doesn't work right then you shouldn't claim to have support for it, or list the problems with it before I go and download the codec and build big collections and make lots of choices based on thinking that everything will work. But okay, hey, it's the format. So you tell me that APE will make all this go away and I convert my entire collection over to APE.

The tags now copy over more data but still not reliably and now I've ended up with a format change that limits my options and makes working with that folder in Windows Explorer completely annoying (due to long delays while Explorer tries to figure out what these files are). So I added new frustrations so that I could go from 50% reliability of tags writing to 80% reliability of tag writing. Every single ripping session I have to go back and check and re-check everything because it's a given that something will be wrong.

Again, forgive my attitude. I really don't want to get into a battle. I just want this stuff to work seamlessly and I'm hoping you can agree that this shouldn't be a lot to expect.

Here's another case in point. While I was typing this I sent over the most current batch of songs. 24 songs sent to the iPod. When I finish up I then check by repeating the Sync process. It should just be empty, but isn't:

Daryl Hall & John Oats - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
Daryl Hall & John Oats - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin

:( :( :(

Spoon
07-25-2006, 07:35 AM
That looks like the 30 character limit of id3v1.

LtData
07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Try setting your mp3 tags to "ID3v2 + ID3v1" in dMC Configuration. That should help, since the iPod probably can't read the APE2 mp3 tag.

Agrajag
07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
It was set to ID3v1 based on earlier feedback concerning WMA issues.

We'll see what this does on the next pass.

Still not sure why I can edit the tags and have them work just fine but ripping them doesn't work.