PDA

View Full Version : setting preference field of id3 tag...

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 12:14 PM
hi ...

I find dbpoweramp looks really useful at first sight, BUT I really want to know if there is a way to save the "Preference" field in My Music Collection back to the ID3 tag (preferably ID3 v2)

I'm reluctant to spend many hours rating 10,000 or so tracks unless I know that the preference setting is being stored with the .mp3 file itself rather than in a separate dbpoweramp database.

I'm sure it's a question that's already been answered so sorry that I've not already found the answer myself...

mollw

Spoon
10-12-2002, 05:15 AM
I have thought about this, it is a good idea apart from the default setting of dAP / dMC is to write smart id3 tags - that is id3v1 is written if the tag will fit, and v2 if not, the problem is for this to be saved it would always have to write a id3v2 tag, which many people will not like!

Perhaps it just needs an option default off, that does not write the pref for most people?

Unregistered
10-13-2002, 03:54 PM
Yup.. having it as an option would be fine. I have to say I think it is the most powerful single feature you could add..

.. I'd switch INSTANTLY to any player which allowed me to update actual mp3 file with my personal rating, rather than its own database. I can't justify the time spend otherwise, since I KNOW i'll end up losing my ratings one day, and probably sooner rather than later.

The musicmatch preference field in id3v2 seems to be pretty standard - or at least as close as I can find to one.

You're right it has to be v2 and off by default. (OTH it is probably the best reason for using v2 rather than v1)

regards

Michael

mollw
10-13-2002, 04:36 PM
P.S....

.... which field should preference rating be stored in? The one used by musicmatch?

And in what format? Numerical? Excellent to Excrutiating as text

*One you can make appear in Windows XP as a column in Explorer (like comments can) would be nice...

m

mollw
10-16-2002, 01:04 PM
I've thought about this some more and I actually think what you (or rather I need) is a quick way to set
- rating
- tempo
- mood

and have these updated in the ID3 (v2 obviously - so there would have to be an option to turn this feature on and use v2 by default somewhere)

The ideal would be add them as options to the context (right click) menu that comes up in "my music collection" in the same way that edit tag does.

The idea behind all this is to make it easy to use auto-djing etc. and at the same time may the info we store about our tracks more robust by storing it with the actual music so we can always recreate our database just by rescanning for mp3 files.

> ramble mode off

m