PDA

View Full Version : Spoon Installer feature request/change

ophielx
06-30-2006, 06:04 AM
first off, i'm posting here because the sourceforge forum is dead, and is labeled as support. this isn't a support issue.

secondly, i think spoon installer is great.

however, i have one major gripe: the silent install switch.

because you have these characters in the switch: "<>", it effectively breaks "normal" unattended installation.

the presence of those characters makes the command interpreter think that i want to pipe the output somewhere. which forces me to create an environment variable containing "<Silent>", then evoke cmd.exe /v:on to delay variable expansion, and then to replace my switches with, for instance, !silent!, or whatever i named my variable.

this behavior isn't readily noticeable if you just simply run the installer with the silent switch. however, those of us who are actually in need of a silent install switch rarely just execute the command by hand, we need to execute the silent install from within a batch file or from the registry.

the resulting string that we either try to write to registry, or run from batch either gets mangled or misinterpreted.

i will provide some sample output. for example, trying to execute the following command:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run OnceEx\055 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\\Install\\ogg.exe \"<Silent>\""

results in this output:
The system cannot find the file specified.

and even though it is possible to get around this situation using delayed variable expansion, it's cumbersome to have to open another cmd.exe and frankly i don't think many people know about it as a solution.

Spoon
06-30-2006, 04:41 PM
There is a new spooninstaller.exe which accepts --silent (I though I had released it, perhaps not) if not drop me an email link on dbpoweramp homepage.

ophielx
06-30-2006, 05:08 PM
yay, great news ;)