PDA

View Full Version : File Conversion options are not good

kramer2718
05-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Hello. I am using an evaluation copy of DBPowerAmp CD writer. My car stereo plays mp3s, but I have a lot of music in OGG and M4A format. I am evaluating software that can convert and burn these files. I would be happy to purchase software that lives up to my expectations. So far DBPowerAmp has not.

I collected 690 MB of files that I would like to burn, some mp3, some ogg some m4a, then I added them to the cd. To my surprise, the temporary cd was 900 MB. Why you ask? Because all of the files were converted to 192 KB/s mp3s. Isn't there some way to specify the conversion. For instance, shouldn't I be able to specify that all files be converted to mp3 at the SAME bit rate as the input? That would allow me to choose approximately 700 MB of files input and know that the converted files will fit on the cd.

Or at the very least shouldn't I be able to specify the bitrate to convert the files to?

ChristinaS
05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
The bitrate that applies for the conversions is the last bitrate settings used in a conversion for that particular file type (whether by dCW or dMC).

You can also avoid converting some or all of the files using the SMART button, so you can preserve the original files with no conversion, just having them copied over as is. That's where you specify a bitrate threshhold below which you dn't want a conversion to be done. If you set it high enough nothing will get converted and will just be copied as is.

xoas
05-20-2006, 08:21 PM
By opening dB CD Writer, clicking on the icon for New Disc and then on the button Create New Disk, you will find where you can establish a custom file/folder system, tell CD Writer what type of data disk you wish to establish and set a general bitrate for your disc. This is outlined in the online Help files for CD Writer (although it does take a little searching).

The Smart button that Christina mentions is useful for situations in which you have mp3 files of a lower bitrate which you do not wish to have converted to a higher bitrate on your mp3 disk. However, if you use the Smart button on an Ogg file (for example) of a lower quality setting than your general disk specification, what will happen is that CD Writer will transfer the Ogg file as is to your disk in Ogg format (not what you want if you want an all mp3 disk).

The solution to this second problem is to first convert your m4a and Ogg files to mp3 using dB Music Converter at the appropriate bitrates and then feed these files to CD Writer.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Bill

ChristinaS
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
There is no "as source" option for any conversions AFAIK. You have "as source" for channels, frequency, bits, where applicable.