PDA

View Full Version : I want my money back!!!!!

abosly
05-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I purchased a registered version of DBPOWERAMP CONVERTER for the sole purpose of converting m4b files to mp3. Your website included information that clearly showed that your software could do this. Now that I have purchased it and have tried to do just that, it doesn't work. It takes about a second and the output file is only a few k. Then I researched the problem on your forum and everyone comes to the conclusion that I need to burn it to a CD and then rip it back as an MP3.

BUT I DON'T NEED DBPOWERAMP TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I paid $17 dollars for something that doesn't do what it was advertised to do!!!!

This is crap!!!

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WHERE IS THE GREAT SUPPORT I WAS TOLD ABOUT!

I DON"T SEE A PHONE NUMBER AROUND HERE ANYWHERE!!!

Please help me!

I feel ripped off!

abosly@gmail.com

xoas
05-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Let me begin by saying that I am not a staff person, that I have no formal ties to Illustrate and that I am not in a position to make any meaningful response to your request for a refund.

It is my understanding, perhaps mistaken, that dBpowerAMP with the m4a/mp4 decoder is able to read and convert m4b files provided that the files are NOT copy-protected. I believe that .m4b files purchased from iTunes are indeed copy-protected and are clearly identified as such (at iTunes). I also understand that there are .m4b files that are not copy-protected.

The posts I have read that suggest the need to burn the m4b file to CD and then ripping it pertains to copy-protected .m4b files ONLY.

If your files are copy-protected/licensed/have Digital Rights Management measures applied to them then you are correct in your assumption that dBpowerAMP Music Converter will not do what you wanted it to.

If your .m4b files are not copy-protected, then you have a problem of some sort that has a decent probability of getting worked out, assuming you are motivated to do so. If your files are not copy-protected, can you tell us the frequency, channels and bitrate or quality setting of a sample .m4b file? Can you tell us what settings (frequency, bitrate, channels) you are trying to use for your mp3 files? Can you try to test convert a sample file (this is done the same way as converting to mp3 except that where you select mp3 as your output format choose "Test Conversion (No Write)".
This will not create an output file but will tell you fairly quickly whether dMC is able (or thinks it is able to read the file you are trying to convert). If a sample file will successfully test convert, try converting the file to .wave with frequency, and channels set to "As Source". Try these steps and let us know what you find.

But if your files are copy-protected or you otherwise feel that only a refund is appropriate, please post that so that Spoon (pretty much the whole of the paid staff) will know that this is what your situation is.

If your files are copy-protected, I do feel that you might consider venting your anger at Apple (for copy-protecting the files in the first place and for aggressive counter-measures to defeat/discourage/drive out attempts to allow legitimate copies of the audio files they sell through the iTunes Store). You might also take this as a lesson (too often learned through experiences such as yours) to be careful and knowledgeable about digital rights management practices and procedures before you set about paying for downloads from copy-protected sites.

Hope this helps get you somewhere on the road to resolution.

Best wishes,
Bill

LtData
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
From here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register.htm:
All programs have a full 30 day full trial, before purchasing check the program functions as required, refunds cannot be given after registered program is downloaded. and here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm:
Apple supplies protected mp4 files in a .m4p format from its online audio store (whilst dBpowerAMP cannot decode these see Forum for details on fair use).

Razgo
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
yes it does beg the question why you didn't test that it worked before you purchased?

mkrogers64
06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I agree with this poor guy. Why would you want this <removed> product if you can't convert protected .m4ps. I did not see the write protected bull until I had spent my money.

dBPowerAmp sucks.

I purchased a registered version of DBPOWERAMP CONVERTER for the sole purpose of converting m4b files to mp3. Your website included information that clearly showed that your software could do this. Now that I have purchased it and have tried to do just that, it doesn't work. It takes about a second and the output file is only a few k. Then I researched the problem on your forum and everyone comes to the conclusion that I need to burn it to a CD and then rip it back as an MP3.

BUT I DON'T NEED DBPOWERAMP TO DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I paid $17 dollars for something that doesn't do what it was advertised to do!!!!

This is crap!!!

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WHERE IS THE GREAT SUPPORT I WAS TOLD ABOUT!

I DON"T SEE A PHONE NUMBER AROUND HERE ANYWHERE!!!

Please help me!

I feel ripped off!

abosly@gmail.com

xoas
06-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Why would you want this s***y product if you can't convert protected .m4ps (editing mine)
dBpowerAMP is a powerful tool for many purposes. It is not, and does not advertise itself as being, able to convert copy protected files.

While I can empathize with the situation where you buy a program to perform a certain function only to find that the program will not do so, and while I defend your right to your opinion, I do feel that your choice of language is inappropriate.

As I stated in my reply to abosly, if you feel you should be entitled to a refund, you may make your case to Spoon.

As I also stated, you may want to consider examining both Apple's contribution to the situation (and the background role of such actors as the RIAA-Recording Industry of America) in implementing digital rights management/copy-protection measures that limit the legitimate rights of consumers to back up their music.

Also, I would think that if I wanted to drive a car at 175 mph on the highway, bought a car and found out after I got it that it would go nowhere near that fast, I would be more than a little foolish to blame the auto manufacturer or dealer.

Best wishes,
Bill

Wayne
06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with Bill and Razgo.

If I paid for a program without taking advantage of the trial period only to find out afterwords that it didn't do what I wanted I would be too embarrassed to complain.

Just because it doesn't allow you to convert protected content doesn't make dBpowerAMP a bad product. dBpowerAMP is a very useful tool and has many satisfied users.

Wayne

LtData
06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Where did you see that dMC WOULD convert protected .m4p files? Why do you think they are called "copy-protected" if any old program can easily convert them?

The rule is, if you download, no refund. There is a 30-day trial period that you apparently didn't use.

LtData
06-29-2006, 05:05 PM
oh, and mkrogers64: you just earned a 3-day vacation!

...from the forum.

ChristinaS
06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
LOL! Good shot, LtData! :thumbup:

ophielx
06-30-2006, 06:14 AM
haha, what a riot. and seriously....with all the low quality encoding software on the market today it takes a real barney not to appreciate dbpoweramp. nothing else even comes close.

tbh, i'd send this whole thread on vacation.

neilthecellist
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Funny, s/he didn't do his/her research and blames others.

gameplaya15143
07-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Are m4b files encrypted, if some are, there should probably be a mention of it on the mp4 codec page?

It makes me wonder if he even installed the mp4 codec.

Oh, and anyone that thinks dBpowerAMP sucks: :boese1:

LtData
07-01-2006, 10:40 PM
.m4b files downloaded from iTunes are encrypted, yes. .m4b files that are renamed .mp4 files are not encrypted.

However, I do agree taht a note of this should be on the m4a/mp4 codec page.