PDA

View Full Version : MP4 to MP3 Conversion. MP3 files 2K size???

Xigent
05-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Windows XP
*.M4P iTunes to *.MP4 filename change
Use dMC to convert MP4 to MP3
Conversion proceeds way to fast I think.
The converted output file MP3 format are all about 2K filesize
And obviously do not play any music in Windows Media Player or any other
standard MP3 player.

What conversion setting is causing my error?

Thank-you for all consideration.

Xigent

xoas
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
What are the specifications (frequency, channel, bitrate or quality setting, file size) for your mp4 file?

I assume you can listen to the mp4 file with no problem. You might also try a test conversion of this file (done the same as the conversion to mp3 except that where you specify mp3 as your output format, select "Test Conversion (No Write)". The test conversion will not create an output file but it will tell you whether dMC can do a successful test conversion (meaning it can read the file).

You can also look at your mp3 output settings (frequency, bitrate, channels). If the frequency for your output mp3 file is different from the frequency of your mp4 file, enable Professional Frequency Conversion (this is done through dMC Configuration).
Some conversions will not work directly in which case you may need to first convert your mp4 file to wave (easiest is to set wave frequency and channels to "As Source") and then try to convert to mp3. If the wave conversion works but the second part does not, convert your wave to wave again but with the frequency and channel settings that you want to use for your mp3 file and convert this second wave file to mp3.

Or, you may be able to change your mp3 frequency, channel and bitrate settings to a setting that will allow direct conversion.

Hope these ideas help. Let us know how you make out. If you need further help, please provide the specifics about your mp4 file, your mp3 settings, what you tried and what happened.

Best wishes,
Bill

ChristinaS
05-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Most likely protected file?

xoas
05-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Oops yes. An mp4 file would be copy protected, but apparently it has been "converted" from m4p to mp4. However, if this was done merely by relabelling the file extension the file will still be copy-protected. I thought that usually a protected file would give a warning about the file being protected.

If a program was used to convert the m4p file to mp4, perhaps the user has updated iTunes and (since iTunes keeps updating its digital rights management measures, perhaps this is why it has provided the error message.

If the file is copy protected, you may be able to burn the file to CD and then rip it to mp3, or record it using Auxilary Input as you play it in iTunes.

Best wishes,
Bill