PDA

View Full Version : Forums

Razgo
09-27-2002, 07:37 PM
since i closed down my razgo.com site, the one thing I miss using every now and then was my forum.

So I had a look at aussie hosts and saw they are doing local australian servers again. this is by far the most expensive way to go. however they were willing to taylor make a plan for me so i could run a forum.

AU$60.00 per quarter.

5 GIG outbound
75 meg inbound
50 meg disk space.
unlimited email
one data base.

and this is by far the cheapest Australian server I could find that had these specs.

anyhow I wanted to see the speed difference too, so it should be online maybe by monday.

Razgo
09-27-2002, 07:39 PM
also vbulletin 3 should be out soon for public beta. and it is looking good! :D

MODatic
09-28-2002, 02:34 AM
they were willing to taylor make a plan for me so i could run a forum.

That's a rare thing, shows that they're pretty respectable.

Will you park your domain name in this account?

Razgo
09-28-2002, 02:54 AM
Will you park your domain name in this account?

my domain name will always be parked at bluedomino.com

but yes when my new aussie host account is setup i will point razgo.com to the new hosts. is that what you meant?

That's a rare thing, shows that they're pretty respectable.

yes it is rare. it is basically an account they don't advertise. and was half the cost of their cheapest account which was US$19.00 per month.

they seem very friendly and willing to do anything withinn reason.

I got an email earlier on and they said they would try and get the account set up today even though they haven't recieved my payment yet. so thats pretty good service :thumbup:

Razgo
09-28-2002, 02:58 AM
oh and as you can see by the above specs it is a tight sqeeze. but I have never really had high bandwidth anyway. i just have to monitor any uploads i do very carefully, otherwise it's .18 cents per meg i think.

i just have to figure out if when making a post on a forum does it pass through the IP? thus therefore count towards an upload/incoming traffic?

Razgo
09-28-2002, 03:06 AM
and VB3 will allow offsite avatars!! thank god for that!

if your interested their VB3 alpha test site is here.

http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/

MODatic
09-28-2002, 03:15 AM
yes when my new aussie host account is setup i will point razgo.com to the new hosts. is that what you meant?

Yes I meant that :)

So I take it you'll be restoring the old database? all the old posts will be back?

Will the database be on the same server or a different server? If it's on a different server then you shouldn't have to worry about incoming restrictions, hopefully.

They've got good service from what I've heard, lets hope they've got good uptime & speed to back that up.

VB3 will allow offsite avatars!!

Who sent the death threats? j/k :)

I guess they finally came to their senses. Excellent news. No more webmaster having to suffer.

It looks very good, even has a threaded view, should satisfy those Old Skool forum people :happy:

Razgo
09-28-2002, 03:25 AM
Will the database be on the same server or a different server?

yes i think it's all the same server. as far as i know a data base is usually only seperated by a partition on the same hardrive. but not 100% sure.

So I take it you'll be restoring the old database? all the old posts will be back?

I sure will be.

They've got good service from what I've heard, lets hope they've got good uptime & speed to back that up.

yes they do. you may not remember but a few months ago i put razgo.com on one of their overseas servers. everything was ok but at the time i wanted subdomains and wanted php safe mode off. they didn't supply either.

but for know i just want the forum so what they have suits me now.

but it will be interesting if speed is noticable. as the server is in Sydney I should have a ping of around 33ms as opposed to 270ms.

Who sent the death threats?

hehe, yes it was getting close to that stage :D :D