title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converted large AA file loses minutes

Converted large MP3 loses minutes

I have some very large MP3 that I'm converting to mono, low-bit-rate, 22Khz sample rate files (audio books). These files are all longer than an hour each. Unfortunately the resulting files are are all only only about 7 to 14 minutes in length. I am using a registered version of dMC. Any ideas?

Re: Converted large MP3 loses minutes

Make sure you aren't using any "DSP Effects".
    What is the size of your original mp3s?
    Do you have Professional Frequency Conversion enabled?
    Check dMC Configuration (Start menu --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) to see what version you have and to enable Professional Frequency Conversion. The latest version of dMC is r11.5. And you can install the unregistered version overtop of your registered version and keep your registered status.

I think you should do the conversion in several steps.

First convert to mono, keep bitrate and frequency as asource.

Then convert this resulting file to a different bitrate, and keep channels and frequency as souce.

Finally convert this latest resulting file to a different frequency, keep the channels and bitrate as source.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    I think you should do the conversion in several steps.

Then convert this resulting file to a different bitrate, and keep channels and frequency as souce.

Finally convert this latest resulting file to a different frequency, keep the channels and bitrate as source.
    All that transcoding is sure to damage quality despite it being a mono file!

Are you sure the mp3 header is not damaged which is giving you incorrect times in your player?

To clarify, you should follow the steps in Christina's post while your file is converted to WAV:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS

I am also having trouble converting larger files using the trial version. I have installed the .aa codec and am trying to convert files from 2 to 7 hours long (Audible) to .mp3 or .wav. The conversion works -- but produces a file for only about 30 minutes of the original. Is this limitation due to the trial version? I want to be sure larger file conversion is possible before I buy.

Thank you for help.

The conversion works -- but produces a file for only about 30 minutes of the original.
    This is NOT a function of the trial version. The trial version has all of the power/features of the registered version. I believe your issue is related to how Audible Audio handles its files.
    Have you checked out this FAQ item on Audible files through the DirectShow decoder here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8981 ?
    Best wishes,
    Bill
    Last edited by xoas; 10-23-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Re: directshow codec (audible files) crashes

Quote Originally Posted by hm42
    Solution: delete the .aa files, download them again from audible.com personal library. Convert them without listening.
    Unfortunately, this did not work for me. It only caused a different portion of the file of a different length to be converted. Still no success. I am trying to convert files lasting 2-7 hrs. using .aa codec on a trial version. Anyone else have any bright ideas to help? Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    Have you checked out this FAQ item on Audible files through the DirectShow decoder here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8981 ?
    Well, thanks, now I have checked it out. Unfortunately, going thru all the steps doesn't help. I get a file to convert that shows "less than 1 hour remaining when it starts" -- and that is the sign that something's not working.

And it doesn't work. I now get a resulting file that begins at a different place and lasts a different length (now about 20 min.), but is nowhere near the 2 - 7 hours of the original files.

This is a real drag. I called Audible, and they have no way for me to listen to their files, except on my computer (I have a Maxfield G-Flash USB player). Sure, I'm going to sit here for 7 hours and listen.

I hope either Audible or dbPowerAMP finds and markets a possibility for me to listen to these files so I can *legally* hear what I'd like to.

thx anyway for the suggestion. If you come up with another one, I'll try it.

merged your other post about this into this thread.
    Anyway, you downloaded a new copy of the song, did NOT listen to it, and converted it in dMC? And it was still too short?
    Last edited by LtData; 10-24-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtData
    you downloaded a new copy of the song, did NOT listen to it, and converted it in dMC? And it was still too short?
    Hi LtData,

Yep, that's exactly what I did. Except it's not about songs, it's about voice files. I even downloaded 3 different files, just to test out your directions. I keep getting the same result (at least that's steady state...).

Got a clue?

Quote Originally Posted by losangelino
    I am trying to convert files lasting 2-7 hrs. using .aa codec on a trial version.
    Are you referring to a trial version of dMC or a trial of the AA decoder?

Re: Converted large AA file loses minutes

I downloaded the 30-day trial dbpowerAMP.

Then I downloaded and installed the codec from http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-directshow.htm. (I added the file type .aa using config on Notepad + save.)

Doesn't look like the codec is a trial.

Did you reboot?

yes, I rebooted.