title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What dB product do I need?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Landyman
    • Nov 2009

What dB product do I need?

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask my questions, so apologize in advance if wrong.

Looking on the support page, I see 4 products:-
    1. dBpoweramp Music Converter,
    2. dBpoweramp Audio Player,
    3. dBpoweramp CD Writer,
    4. Sveta Portable Audio

On the products page, I see 5 products:-
    A. CD Ripping,
    B. Audio Conversion,
    C. Assetâ„¢ UPnP,
    D. CD Burning,
    E. Batch Ripping.

So I'm confused!

This is what I do now:-

I use my Pure Evoke-3 to record to it's SD card in .mp2 format.

I use Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home to rip my CD collection to .mp3 at 194 Kbps VBR. Being aged 66, I now can't hear the difference with any higher bit rate. For BBC programmes not available from the BBC in .mp3, I also use Creator for capture of BBC 7 (voice) programmes only available for real time listening, at the MP3 (low quality) setting.

I have a number of old 33 & 78 rpm records and have bought, but not yet used, a Creative Labs SB0270 external USB device, as an interface.

For playback I use my Evoke-3 and Bose MusicMonitor speakers, which could be used with a Windows PC.

I use Music Collector from Collectorz.com to manage the indexing of files. I tried their MP3 Collector, but found it lacking.

I would like to be able to edit .mp3 (and .mp2) files to remove lead-in and lead-out unwanted sound from my recordings and be able to split tracks, where I have more than one title.

Managing files onto 2GB SD cards to place into the Evoke-3 is time consuming, as I drag & drop in folders.

I've tried a number of tag editors, but not yet found an ideal one. Pure appear to not add the title and artist into tags, although they are both displayed on the radio's screen, so I have to use pencil and paper.

Would dBpoweramp Audio Player, be a good way of playing back on a Windows PC?

Reg.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: What dB product do I need?

dBpoweramp Audio Player is classed as a legacy program and is not updated, the current programs are listed on the product page.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Landyman
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      dBpoweramp Audio Player is classed as a legacy program and is not updated, the current programs are listed on the product page.
      You point me to a page that I mention in my question and then write that I'm confused!

I'm still confused!

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

With version 12 of the Music Converter there was a complete redesign. All the programs that rely on the older pre-12 codecs such as dBpoweramp Audio Player and Sveta Portable Audio are deemed legacy. They are still available to download, hence the support forum entries, but no longer being actively developed.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Admittedly, it does take some looking to find downloads for the dBpoweramp Audio Player (dAP) and for the r11.5 release of Music Converter (which is the last version of Music Converter to have the Auxiliary Input feature that allowed recording of audio from the sound card).

dAP can (I believe) be downloaded from here:

You can find a download link for Music Converter r11.5 here:

Do read and follow the Compatibility Guidelines for these Legacy programs (they need to be installed to a different location than the newer products on the current Products page and they need to use the Legacy codecs NOT the Codecs currently located at Codec Central).

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• dmcKEAN
            • Sep 2007

You only NEED the products that support your needs. You do not have to get everything.

There are basically 2 mainframe versions. There is the mainframe that has the Music Converter on or before 11.5. And there are the other programs that are based on the Music Converter 12+ mainframe.

Generally, the programs associated with the Music Converter 11.5 and before are loosing support or not supported at all and consists of these basic core progrma.

Music converter (versions up to 11.5)
            Sveta Portable Audio
            dAp (dbpoweramp audio player)(versions 1, 2 and beta 3)
            cd writer

Please note that NONE of these programs are needed and are independent of each other and each serve a different purpose.

To get into the further details about Music Converter 11.5 and before, here are the details.

Music converter 11.5 and before CAME with cd audio input(the cd ripper), the core converter, and some had a program called Auxillary Input (a nice program to record vinyl or audio tapes from the soundcard.) Please note that this unto itself was a free product. BUT if you wanted to encode in mp3 format, edit tags, and some other cool things, you would have to purchase "the power pack" which started at $14 and over the years became around $24.

dap (dbpoweramps audio player--acronymed dAp). This was the audio player that worked with the music converter up to and including 11.5. It needed the codecs from the Legacy section as it was based on the old main frame. This process or program is independent of the core converter. The cool thing about this project was that people from this forum contributed to the additon of skins (the look of the player) and lots and lots of skins were developed. This project however is now null and void. Alll skins are bye bye. It stopped being produced at dap release 3 beta 6. This was a 100% free product.

sub program for use with dbpoweramp: Cue Master. This was created by a forum member for dap. Ask Donny or Spoon about this neat little process.

CD Writer (acroymed dcw). This product is still being produced and is a current project. CD writer started as a individual purchase. I think it was around $25 to $30. The name is pretty self-explanatory. The current version is not available as an individual program(except betas) but part of the professional music converter called Reference which I will get into later.

Sveta Portable Audio. I am NOT SURE if this program is still available from Spoon. But I never tried it out. I am NOT SURE if this program will work with the current versions of the music converter. But this program was released before the Music converter 11.5 so it might or might not be based on that. i do not know. But anyhow this program was used to rip your portable audio device songs as well as to import songs. I am not sure if there was support for the Itouch or Iphones, but the 1st and 2nd generation ipods were supported. The price was around $29.95 or something like that. And again, you did not have to download any of the other programs to make this run. Actually---scratch that idea. You might have needed the core converter but I am not sure. You did need the legacy codecs think.

NEW SECTION--The current release of dbpoweramp. READ THIS SECTION

Now, all that stuff is much appreciated. And we loved this program from the years. But now dbpoweramp has gone extreme with a new main frame and new codecs system that is totally different.

Here is the current core programs:

Music Converter release 12+ (currently in 13.4)
            Renaissance (still in BETA)
            Asset UPnP

Now let us start with the explanation of music converter 12 and on.

There are basically 3 versions of the music converter program which can be divided into 3 different categories: Free, powerpack and m3 license, and Reference.

The music converter is just the core converter and does not include any professional codecs. But it does support still some main codecs that you can encode to such as Ogg Vorbis, apple lossless, mp2 toolame, musepack, wav files, monkey audio, optimfrog, and wavpak. There are a few effects that are free which can filter your audio with. I do not know the names of the free dsp effects. Please download the codecs from the regular codec central for this program. This program DOES NOT include the old auxillary input. But it does include a cd ripper.

mp3 and powerpack. This is one step above the free version. This includes the ability to encode in the mp3 fraunhofer IIs which alot of movies use as the audio track. You can also edit tags. there may or may not be an extra dsp efffect thrown in. But I am not sure. The current costs is $24. I think this version also lets you use the power of your dual core processor and can encode two files at a time.

Reference. This is a HUGE jump from the powerpack to the Reference version. Reference versions are for people who are professional, like seeing advance features just for the heck of it, are audio enthusiast, or just love dbpoweramp and want everything. This includes additonal allowance of using professional codecs such as mp3 Helix, dalet (radio systems), bwf mp2 (european broadcast codec), and sonys wav64. This version does include a batch ripper. Now Reference version 12.4 was only around $29 to $30 because it did not include the extra programs thrown in that are now included. The current price for reference is $36. I will explain the additional programs thrown into Reference versions 13.4 an up in a new paragraph.

Reference 13.4 and up includes the following programs.

Industrial ripper. A regular consumer does not need this. But if you just want it for the heck of it, that is cool as well. It specializes in the use of professional ripping houses. I know Fry's electronics has cd towers with 4 or 5 players in a row. So if you have one of those, you could use this. Or if you had a Ripnas, I guess you could also use this.

dcw release 3. This USED to be a separate program but now is included in the reference version. This is the cd writer. Everyday people can use this writer. It is not available for indiviudal purchase, except if you want to beta test it.

If you are not ready for a Profesional version, you can purchase the powerpack for $24. If you want to upgrade it to reference it will be $12+ additional.

Now let's go to the other parts of the new mainframe.

Renaissance (still in BETA). This is the new audio player. Currently there is no front end for this program--it is command line only. Currently this is a free program. The actual process that utilizes everything is called the uplayer. Uplayer can be controlled from other devices as well such as an Itouch or even a computer upstairs. I do not know a whole lot about this program. So ask spoon or anyone on this forum. Spoon may or may not create a GUI for this in the future.

Asset& UPnP. This is the CLOSET thing to a front-end so far for the Renaissance player but is not the gui for Renaissance--but then again it just might be the gui permanently. But i heard spoon is working on a gui just for You only NEED the products that support your needs. You do not have to get everything.

There are basically 2 mainframe versions. There is the mainframe that has the Music Converter on or before 11.5. And there are the other programs that are based on the Music Converter 12+ mainframe.

Generally, the programs associated with the Music Converter 11.5 and before are loosing support or not supported at all and consists of these basic core progrma.

Music converter (versions up to 11.5)
            Sveta Portable Audio
            dAp (dbpoweramp audio player)(versions 1, 2 and beta 3)

Please note that NONE of these programs are needed and are independent of each other and each serve a different purpose.

To get into the further details about Music Converter 11.5 and before, here are the details.

Music converter 11.5 and before CAME with cd audio input(the cd ripper), the core converter, and some had a program called Auxillary Input (a nice program to record vinyl or audio tapes from the soundcard.) Please note that this unto itself was a free product. BUT if you wanted to encode in mp3 format, edit tags, and some other cool things, you would have to purchase "the power pack" which started at $14 and over the years became around $24.

dap (dbpoweramps audio player--acronymed dAp). This was the audio player that worked with the music converter up to and including 11.5. It needed the codecs from the Legacy section as it was based on the old main frame. This process or program is independent of the core converter. The cool thing about this project was that people from this forum contributed to the additon of skins (the look of the player) and lots and lots of skins were developed. This project however is now null and void. Alll skins are bye bye. It stopped being produced at dap release 3 beta 6. This was a 100% free product.

sub program for use with dbpoweramp: Cue Master. This was created by a forum member for dap. Ask Donny or Spoon about this neat little process.

CD Writer (acroymed dcw). This product is still being produced and is a current project. CD writer started as a individual purchase. I think it was around $25 to $30. The name is pretty self-explanatory. The current version is not available as an individual program(except betas) but part of the professional music converter called Reference which I will get into later.

Sveta Portable Audio. I am NOT SURE if this program is still available from Spoon. But I never tried it out. I am NOT SURE if this program will work with the current versions of the music converter. But this program was released before the Music converter 11.5 so it might or might not be based on that. i do not know. But anyhow this program was used to rip your portable audio device songs as well as to import songs. I am not sure if there was support for the Itouch or Iphones, but the 1st and 2nd generation ipods were supported. The price was around $29.95 or something like that. And again, you did not have to download any of the other programs to make this run. Actually---scratch that idea. You might have needed the core converter but I am not sure. You did need the legacy codecs think.

NEW SECTION--The current release of dbpoweramp. READ THIS SECTION

Now, all that stuff is much appreciated. And we loved this program from the years. But now dbpoweramp has gone extreme with a new main frame and new codecs system that is totally different.

Here is the current core programs:

Music Converter release 12+ (currently in 13.4)
            Renaissance (still in BETA)
            Asset UPnP

Now let us start with the explanation of music converter 12 and on.

There are basically 3 versions of the music converter program which can be divided into 3 different categories: Free, powerpack and m3 license, and Reference.

The music converter is just the core converter and does not include any professional codecs. But it does support still some main codecs that you can encode to such as Ogg Vorbis, apple lossless, mp2 toolame, musepack, wav files, monkey audio, optimfrog, and wavpak. There are a few effects that are free which can filter your audio with. I do not know the names of the free dsp effects. Please download the codecs from the regular codec central for this program. This program DOES NOT include the old auxillary input. But it does include a cd ripper.

mp3 and powerpack. This is one step above the free version. This includes the ability to encode in the mp3 fraunhofer IIs which alot of movies use as the audio track. You can also edit tags. there may or may not be an extra dsp efffect thrown in. But I am not sure. The current costs is $24. I think this version also lets you use the power of your dual core processor and can encode two files at a time.

Reference. This is a HUGE jump from the powerpack to the Reference version. Reference versions are for people who are professional, like seeing advance features just for the heck of it, are audio enthusiast, or just love dbpoweramp and want everything. This includes additonal allowance of using professional codecs such as mp3 Helix, dalet (radio systems), bwf mp2 (european broadcast codec), and sonys wav64. This version does include a batch ripper. Now Reference version 12.4 was only around $29 to $30 because it did not include the extra programs thrown in that are now included. The current price for reference is $36. I will explain the additional programs thrown into Reference versions 13.4 an up in a new paragraph.

Reference 13.4 and up includes the following programs.

Industrial ripper. A regular consumer does not need this. But if you just want it for the heck of it, that is cool as well. It specializes in the use of professional ripping houses. I know Fry's electronics has cd towers with 4 or 5 players in a row. So if you have one of those, you could use this. Or if you had a Ripnas, I guess you could also use this.

dcw release 3. This USED to be a separate program but now is included in the reference version. This is the cd writer. Everyday people can use this writer. It is not available for indiviudal purchase, except if you want to beta test it.

If you are not ready for a Profesional version, you can purchase the powerpack for $24. If you want to upgrade it to reference it will be $12+ additional.

Now let's go to the other parts of the new mainframe.

Renaissance (still in BETA). This is the new audio player. Currently there is no front end for this program--it is command line only. Currently this is a free program. The actual process that utilizes everything is called the uplayer. Uplayer can be controlled from other devices as well such as an Itouch or even a computer upstairs. I do not know a whole lot about this program. So ask spoon or anyone on this forum. Spoon may or may not create a GUI for this in the future.

Asset&*blooper*8482; UPnP. This is the CLOSET thing to a front-end so far for the Renaissance player but is not the gui for Renaissance--but then again--it just might be if spoon never makes a seperate gui just for Reniassance. But this program can control the uplayer from Renaissance. So if you want to play a jukebox or a bunch of songs from random selection, use this program if you are scared by command-line. This program costs $26. And yes, this program can play songs from an Itouch. I am not sure about an Iphone yet.

Ok. This concludes my explanation. Again, if you are not sure of what your needs are--by all means start with a free version. Free versions have an mp3 license and powerpack trial for a trial period. If you know you want the mp3 stuff, then buy the powerpack license now and wait for the e-mail to download a registered version.

If you just want a player--I am not usre what to tell you. I am not sure if the asset program comes with a trial or not. You can try the command-line but it is up to you.

If you want to use the old no longer supported dap, that is still available. But you would have install 11.5 but that sometimes can be a hassle.

Hope this note helps you somewhat.

Just to let you know. I started with free versions of the converter. Then I purchased the powerpack a couple years ago. Maybe next year I'll do an upgrade to reference. If you want EVERYTHING, that will be $64, and that may seem a little high, but it is up to you. The asset program has a separate registration page. If you need Renaissance, then download it from

Sveta is also still available too but that might be a bit of a hassle since it is based on the old main frame. But this program can control the uplayer from Renaissance. So if you want to play a jukebox or a bunch of songs from random selection, use this program if you are scared by command-line. This program costs $26. And yes, this program can play songs from an Itouch. I am not sure about an Iphone yet.

Ok. This concludes my explanation. Again, if you are not sure of what your needs are--by all means start with a free version. Free versions have an mp3 license and powerpack trial for a trial period. If you know you want the mp3 stuff, then buy the powerpack license now and wait for the e-mail to download a registered version.

If you just want a player--I am not usre what to tell you. I am not sure if the asset program comes with a trial or not. You can try the command-line but it is up to you.

If you want to use the old no longer supported dap, that is still available. But you would have install 11.5 but that sometimes can be a hassle.

Hope this note helps you somewhat.

Just to let you know. I started with free versions of the converter. Then I purchased the powerpack a couple years ago. And recently I upgrade to reference 12.4 Maybe next year I'll do an upgrade to reference 13.4. If you want EVERYTHING, that will be $64, and that may seem a little high, but it is up to you. The asset program has a separate registration page. If you need Renaissance, then download it from

Sveta is also still available too but that might be a bit of a hassle since it is based on the old main frame.
            Last edited by dmcKEAN; 11-29-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Wow, you know more than me

Asset - Renaissance and (the not released Asset Control, or possibly having a different name) will become the new dAP - and when all three programs are completed it will become more clear of their purpose.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Landyman
                • Nov 2009

Many thanks dmcKEAN.

That's most helpful and took a long time to produce, so I thank you again.

Reg

Comment

• dmcKEAN
                  • Sep 2007

Not a problem. I am glad I could help. And I just realized that I accidently posted my article twice. aaahhhhh. LOL. Sorry if you read a double article. I must have copied my article twice. I use dialup so sometimes I write in word and then paste it here, so I accidently must have posted it twice. That is terrible. But at least it helped. Unfortunately, I cannot go back to the article and delete the few repeated paragraphs.

Derek McKean
                  Known for: Fifth Clover, Artistic License, Hard at Work
                  Last edited by dmcKEAN; 11-30-2009, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>