title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to Print Ripped Music List?????

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to Print Ripped Music List?????

Is there any way to easily print the list of music ripped into dbpa? This would be a great advantage if it can be done. For example, the printed list could be marked up as a guide for future file editing, as a guide for purchasing music while avoiding duplications, etc., etc., etc. Thanks in advance for the anticipated answer and/or help printing my music in dbpa.

Best regards,
    Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to Print Ripped Music List?????

Not in the way you possibly want (album listings with art)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sad, but thank you for your rapid and direct response.

Regards,
    Tom

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You could use the DSP effect "Write metadata file" to produce an XML file with the data about the album.
    You could then use the XSLT language to create a template for translating this XML to, let's say beautiful HTML or a comma separated file to import to Excel or even to a plain text file.

How to create this template is a whole book by itself but i suggest you start creating your XML files with every rip, the translation into your preferred format could always be run at a later time as long as you keep the original XML file.

For reference check out http://www.w3.org/standards/xml/ and read the sections on XML essentials and on Transformation.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mp3tag has some ways of automatically doing this. Search their forums for threads with instructions.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

An even simpler (but less customizable) approach would be to add the DSP effect "Playlist Writer" the ripper would then leave a .M3U file in each directory with the filenames of each song. With some intelligent file-naming for your mp3s it should be possible to interpret (separate) the artist name and the song title even from this file. For much greater flexibility use the XML method suggested above.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

smisk and garym,

I sincerely thank you for your help. By the same token, you are both way over my head. I have no idea what DSP and the other 3 letter pnemonics represent or mean. I also suspect there are many other users of dbpa who share my ignorance. I also suspect the utility of dbpa would be many, many, many times higher and the software more widely used if it were more user-friendly and/or accompanied by a simplified cookbook on how to do fundamental tasks. I love what little I know about dbpa. I love what it does for me, albeit little due to my ignorance. However, not everyone buys software to become a computer geek. I bought this software strictly to promote and facilitate my organization of and use of my music collection using FLAC files. Being able to make a few clicks or something simple to print out a list of my music or to select files, click on these and print out the highlighted files would greatly improve the utility of dbpa, not just for me, but for a whole lot of folks, in my opinion.

Just my two cents,
    Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

I knew nothing about all this a few years ago, but my interest in a stable, high quality digital music library and playback system led me to learn. Reading here, hydrogenaudio.org, mp3tag forums, and the Squeezebox forums (my main playback system) is how I learned. Google was my friend too. Regarding automated list print out, I'm not sure how to do it here, but in mp3tag, there are some user provided files for "export configuration" that can create very detailed printouts of your files. The thread is here:
    http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?sh...hl=export+dano

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you garym.

Regards.
    Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swaman View Post
    Thank you garym.

Regards.
    Tom
    be sure to copy the .mte files to right location. see here;
    http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=13761

And I sorta like the listing I get from this one (the preview, click on the link, then click on artist name, then click on album name and you see track listing:
    http://download.mp3tag.de/export/htm...ist_js_ex.html

not sure it is already in the export configs by default, but one called "Album Only List" puts out a simple CSV file that opens in Excel and is easily printed.

You get this after loading up all your files in mp3tag (open top directory) and then clicking on file > export > choose the export configuration format you want.
    Last edited by garym; 03-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.