title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Need help burning live shows, please

does it really matter given the state i'm in

Need help burning live shows, please

How do I get my computer using dB to burn not interupting songs that transition into each other? This is a problem mainly with live music, particulary live Grateful Dead shows. It's a total buzz kill when a song is interupted by a track number change. I've been told there is a way to choose disc at once, but can't figure that out either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please avoid heavy computer terms because this is my first experience with a computer. Thanks.

Re: Need help burning live shows, please

Sorry, disc at once won't eliminate the gap. dCW does not burn gapless audio cd's.

All that it does is create a closed cd to which you can no longer add any other tracks.

Depending on the original source file, i.e. not mp3, you need to convert the files to wav and use disc at once in Roxio or Nero to burn your cd's.

dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) does allow you to rip songs that transition into one another using the Rip As One option. This option is also handy for situations (also seen more frequently in live cd's) in any case where you want to start or end a track other than the designated start or end of a track (to cutout applause or crowd noise, or to correct for situations where a performer's intro to one track is stored at the end of a previus track). This will work up to an entire CD. The downside is that where two or more tracks are ripped as one, they can no longer be player separately.

If you ripped a live CD ripping with dMC and using the Rip As One option to rip the entire CD as a single track, you could then burn that track using dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW). This CD would only play as a single long gapless track on a CD player so it is not as good an option as Coblesan's suggestion, but it can be done.

dCW relies on another program to support the process of burning tracks to CD. This program does not support gapless burning for standard audio CD's. Until this situation changes (either through a modification of this other program or through using a different program within dCW that will support gapless CD burning), this will continue to be the case. dCW does allow you to create disks in mp3 (or other formats) that would basically allow gapless playback (depending upon your player) but such disks cannot be played on a regular CD player, so this is probably not an option here.

Best wishes,
    Bill

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Google for an application called mp3 Magic. It will join your mp3 tracks together, if that's what you want. (I'm not sure if it is entirely free, but if not, there's a free trial version which works perfectly). :D

Just use Burrrn http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4
    This program can burn gapless and supports mp3, ogg, flac, Monkey's audio, etc

The problem with MP3's is that it will leave a gap at the beginning and end of a track even if they are joined. That is why I stated before it really depends on the type of file you start with. I have had no problems with .flac, .shn, and .ogg but, I have had many problems with MP3's.

The joining of MP3 files is ok IF you have an option to trim the silence from the beginning and end of each track. If you open an MP3 file in a sound editor program, such as Sound Forge, you will see the blank space at the beginning and end of each track.

Since RoadRunner66 is a deadhead, he really wants the gapless tracks so there is no pause between each track when listening to live shows. That is why it really depends on the source.

Mike

Moved to dCW Support

The problem with MP3's is that it will leave a gap at the beginning and end of a track even if they are joined.
    It is my understanding that the Blade mp3 codec is gapless and that in dMC r12 Lame is gapless also (you could try this with the current dMC r12 alpha 2 release from the Beta section of the forum). Still, I have not tried file splicing so I can't guarantee this.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Administrator

Blade still has gaps, possibly just less.