title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How doe the volume control work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How doe the volume control work?

The dAP volume control seems to be a relative up and down from the current master volume over a narrow range.

What leads me to that conclusion is when I put the master volume control to maximum it is much louder than if I put the mmc volume control to maximum. Does that make sense?

If that's correct is there a reason why the mmc volume control couldn't work as the master volume control?

Thanks.

Kevin

Administrator
    If I read it right, setting the volume in MMC has a different range than in dAP Main Amp? We are not talking about Volume Boost?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Not quite.

Setting the volume in MMC or dAP doesn't have the range of the volume control from the volume icon in the systray or Control Panel\Sounds and Multimedia\Sound Volume (Windows 2000). I know the last two things are different ways of accessing the same thing but if you'd always done it one way over the other you'd have no idea what I was talking about if I described the wrong one!

Kevin

Administrator
    Have you tried the other output - Options >> Amp >> Output?

culbrz

Re: How does the volume control work?

How do I install a stereo volume control before my amplifier?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How doe the volume control work?

Quote Originally Posted by kweller
    The dAP volume control seems to be a relative up and down from the current master volume over a narrow range.

What leads me to that conclusion is when I put the master volume control to maximum it is much louder than if I put the mmc volume control to maximum. Does that make sense?

If that's correct is there a reason why the mmc volume control couldn't work as the master volume control?

Thanks.

Kevin
    dAP and MMC volume controls are in essence the same control and are tied directly to the "Wave" volume control slider in the Master Volume Control panel (w/ stereo capabilities).

Open all three up at once and you will see that moving either volume control from dAP or MMC is actually moving the Wave slider. (At least that's how mine shows). That's why you are seeing a difference.

The EQ Boost control also acts like another volume control depending on your EQ settings. And can introduce distortion clipping if set too high (which can be seen on dAP scopes as waveforms becoming square waves).

If you want dAP's volume control to act as a Master, just set the Master to Full to begin with. This current setup gives more flexibility than if dAP was made to become the Master.
    Hope this helps.

Craze

Re: How doe the volume control work?

I like the volume separate from the main volume and from wave, so I have selected the "directx" output instead of wave... it is also a little bit silenter, so it is easier to synchronize the volume with, for example, wathcing DVDs...