title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Audio CD Read Speed Too Fast - DriveSpeed Doesn't Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Audio CD Read Speed Too Fast - DriveSpeed Doesn't Help

When I play an audio CD using DAP Beta 3 (6), the CD-ROM drive spins much faster than necessary and consequently generates a lot of mechanical noise.

With my other audio players like WMP, RealPlayer, and RealTek Audio Player, I can lower the read speed to a silent 4X using Nero DriveSpeed. However if I try doing the same while DAP is playing the CD, the CD-ROM drive speed doesn't change. If I set the speed low with DriveSpeed BEFORE starting DAP, then DAP refuses to recognize the CD and won't play the CD at all.

I'm running WinXP Home SP1. The soundcard function (Vinyl AC'97) is integrated into the motherboard.

Re: Audio CD Read Speed Too Fast - DriveSpeed Doesn't Help

I'm replying to my own posting: Although Nero's DriveSpeed didn't slow the CD-ROM drive's read speed when using DAP to play audio CDs, I found another program that did work with DAP: "CD-ROM Tool."

I downloaded it from here:

http://cdromtool.sourceforge.net/

"CD-ROM Tool" required me to install ASPI drivers, which I got from the Adaptec web site:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...dkey=ASPI-4.70

After following Adaptec's ASPI installation instructions, I still had to do a small registry edit so that the ASPI manager would recognize my CD-ROM drive:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ASPI32\Parameters]
    "ExcludeMiniports"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ASPI32]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "Type"=dword:00000001

A final comment: Besides eliminating the mechanical noise and buzzing, running the CD-ROM drive at a slow read speed when playing audio CDs should extend the drive's lifespan. CD-ROM drives aren't designed to run at high speeds for long periods.

Thank you for a very useful piece of information.

I will make this a sticky thread.

yep...definately true, however much the "corperations" hate to admit it, your best off running EVERYTHING straight from a harddrive if at all possible...that means all your music, your games (nocd patch the games you own) dvd's (convert them to divx or something like that..after ripping the dvd's straight to the harddrive, of course) the drives unfortunately arent made to be continuously accessed for sometimes hours on end...they are made for accessing a file or two here and there...and for short lengths of time (think installing a game, or something like that) I just fried my first dvd burner a few weeks ago....and im relatively sure it was because i was playing movies on the thing...i learned the hard way, i hope no one else has to.