title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Codec to convert *into* Audible audio .aa format

Codec to convert *into* Audible audio .aa format

There is a lot of talk about converting Audible audio's .aa format into mp3 or whatever, but I'm looking for the opposite. I really like Audible's player on my Palm and I'd like to be able to listen to other audiobooks with it. So how about a codec to convert mp3 or wav into aa? Thanks!

Re: Codec to convert *into* Audible audio .aa format

I'll vote for that one too!

The reason is not obvious unless you listen to books on MP3 and .AA formats. Audible players have a bookmark function that saves your place when listening to an .AA file but not an MP3 files. Nobody listens to an entire book at one sitting so a bookmark is REALLY useful.

When I rip audio books from CD, I want them as .AA files so I can listen on my "Audible Ready" player.

I would imagine there are 3 major issues, however:
    1. the format is probably copyrighted and I doubt if Audible is interesting in sharing it for free.
    2. the copy protection may be implemented in a way such that making the format compatible without the encryption might be prohibitive.
    3. lack of universal interest.

(Not to be negative, just technical)
    Robbin

I think the main problem is legal issues, i.e. audible not wanting their format made elsewhere and if they do, then charging for it. This would force Spoon to charge for that codec and well, he doesn't. Anybody have a Russian server handy? :D

Audible claims that their format *4 is a version of mp3 . . . I wonder if there's some way to trick Audible Manager/Audible players into accepting mp3 files modified in some way??

Quote Originally Posted by Cnidaria
    There is a lot of talk about converting Audible audio's .aa format into mp3 or whatever, but I'm looking for the opposite. I really like Audible's player on my Palm and I'd like to be able to listen to other audiobooks with it. So how about a codec to convert mp3 or wav into aa? Thanks!
    Audible uses MP3 or AAC (low bit- & sampling-rate) with a proprietary encumbering DRM addition. That's about it. You can get a similar effect by using the WMA codec with digital rights restrictions if your goal is to make playback on most machines more difficult.

I think you're slightly mad to want such things. Just use AAC or MP3.

No no no! I don't want their crazy DRM restrictions! I just want to be able to play my own content (ripped audiobook CDs, for instance) on their excellent player.

Cnidaria, you're absolutely dead-on with wanting this. Anyone who's listened to audiobooks as mp3 and through audible would agree. DRM is beside the point, and I can't believe it was even mentioned.

For me, audible.com files on my ipod can be played back at 125% of recorded speed, and saves my place regardless of what else I've listened to. Never going back to mp3 audiobooks for me.

There are a couple options, out there for ipod users, don't know if they'll work with the audible player or not.

The best way to start is to convert your mp3 into AAC format (gives you type 3 or type 4 audible format). In itunes, you just convert it to AAC, change the file extension from .m4a to .m4b and bookmarks work. I'm testing the MarkAble software from www.ipodsoft.com to see if it makes things easier.

Good luck, and try google searching "ipod markable" or "audible bookmark" if this doesn't work for you.

You can bookmark mp3s by following these instructions:
    http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/45967-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by mattwhitlock
    I'm testing the MarkAble software from www.ipodsoft.com to see if it makes things easier.
    I use that, but it is not the same. an M4B file can only have a single bookmark, where an AA file can have chapter marks. This makes a big difference if you want to skip forward a bit, or back a bit.

maybe you could ask nicely to audio audible if they could do it for you!
    Last edited by gilex; 07-26-2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: wrong post!

I would like this too. My iPod Nano distinguishes between Auudio books (aa) and music (MP3) and I would like to use this feature for my existing MP3 audio books.

Bookmarks are nice too.

Martin

anyone ever heard of a .aa file editor. This way I could listen to the best parts of my favorite radio show on my ipod without having to keep the whole episode. Man, that would be great.

Administrator

Write m4b files, which are m4a audio books.

how do u do that?

Administrator