title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How can I compress file size?

Exclamation How can I compress file size?

OK...I have been playing with this program for almost 2 days. Here is my problem...I am trying to convert MP3's to WAV for usage on a web site. I have a file storage place for them, but max file size is 3MB. The smallest I have been able to convert to us 4.28MB. Still too big. Can someone tell me what I need to do to compress more? I'm using the smallest setting in the compression menu (8.000 kHz, 8 bit, stereo). HELP PLEASE!!!! :cry:

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How can I compress file size?

how big is the mp3 files?

if you right click over an mp3 file and then select wav and then change format you can choose mp3-wav which will produce a compressed wav file. if you dont see that option then check this thread : http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2275

Quote Originally Posted by Staz071
    OK...I have been playing with this program for almost 2 days. Here is my problem...I am trying to convert MP3's to WAV for usage on a web site. I have a file storage place for them, but max file size is 3MB. The smallest I have been able to convert to us 4.28MB. Still too big. Can someone tell me what I need to do to compress more? I'm using the smallest setting in the compression menu (8.000 kHz, 8 bit, stereo). HELP PLEASE!!!! :cry:
    WOW! You've got it all wrong! WAV is the biggest file size, it's the original uncompressed audio file, straight from the original recording. You don't use wav files on a web site. You use mp3 or wma files.

A standard wav file (16-bit, 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo) occupies about 10MB per minute of audio. In contrast, an mp3 file at 128kbps obtained from the same wav file will occupy about 1MB per minute of audio. At 64kbps it's half the size. WMA (Windows Media) format occupies the same space as mp3 files for the same bitrate, frequency and channels. You will get a better audio quality from a wma file at low bit rates, so you can have smaller files sounding just as good. WMA at 32kbps will occupy about 250k per minute of audio, excellent for web streaming.

It really all depends on what you want to do with your audio files on the web. But a wav file is totally out of the question.

Don't even bother with the so-called compressed wav files, they are not suitable for the web at all.

OK....so help me out with this....the MP3 file is 4677KB. The site I have for storing my MP3's and linking back to them has a limit on file size. 3MB per file. When I try to uplaod the MP3 onto the site, it says its too big. So how can I compress the file to 3MB or less so that I can upload it to the storage site?

Quote Originally Posted by Staz071
    OK....so help me out with this....the MP3 file is 4677KB. The site I have for storing my MP3's and linking back to them has a limit on file size. 3MB per file. When I try to uplaod the MP3 onto the site, it says its too big. So how can I compress the file to 3MB or less so that I can upload it to the storage site?
    You convert that particular mp3 file to a lower bitrate than what it is, that's all.

If your mp3 files has a bitrate of 128kbps, then you convert it to mp3 at 64kbps and the file will be half the size of the original mp3 file.

You will use dBpowerAMP Music Converter that you donwnload form teh top of the forum if you don't already have it. If you don't have the mp3 codecs, then you'll have to get the Powerpack as well.

When you convert the mp3 file, make sure you do not delete original file and also make sure you save the resulting file to a different folder or under a different name.

You select the codec to convert to as mp3 Lame and move the green slider to 64kbps. For Advanced you may use No preset and Constant bit rate, unless you feel like experimenting with other combinations.

Keep channels as stereo and frequency as 44100Hz.

Your file should now end up as about 2.3MB or so.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; 11-28-2004 at 10:57 PM.