title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Conversion Size?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Conversion Size?

I was wondering if there was any way of previewing the size of converted files. I have a few thousand audio files that need to be converted to wma or mp3 in the next few days and I need to get an idea as to how much space it will all take up in certain formats in certain settings. Is there a way to tell?

I don't want to convert them all and then find that only a few files can fit on a CD. I want to get the right compression allowing best quality but to fit lots of files on a CD aswell.

Re: Conversion Size?

Quote Originally Posted by drspy00
    I was wondering if there was any way of previewing the size of converted files. I have a few thousand audio files that need to be converted to wma or mp3 in the next few days and I need to get an idea as to how much space it will all take up in certain formats in certain settings. Is there a way to tell?

I don't want to convert them all and then find that only a few files can fit on a CD. I want to get the right compression allowing best quality but to fit lots of files on a CD aswell.
    Rule of thumb:

1 minute of uncompressed wav (16-bit, cd quality, 2 ch. stereo) = 11MB

1 minute of (lossless) wma @ 650kbps = 5MB
    1 minute of ogg @ 500kbps VBR =3.1MB
    1 minute of mp3/wma @ 256Kbps CBR = 2MB
    1 minute of mp3/wma @ 128kbps CBR = 1MB
    1 minute of mp3/wma @ 64kbps CBR = 0.5MB
    1 minute of mp3/wma @ 32kbps CBR = 0.25MB

Basically it's all in proportion to the bit rate (cbr vs vbr doesn't change much the results)

Most probably other file types are similar in sizes.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Conversion Size?

Thanks for your help! But what about mp3? is that around 1-2mb per minute?

It would be great if there was a little program to calculate the sizes, If I had more time I'd test them all out but it will take a number of hours to do the whole lot so I wouldnt want to keep doing that.